TFT Display to be used with a Teensy 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

gingerbill

I've recently got myself a teensy 3.0 and I've been using it with the Arduino IDE (at the moment) and it works amazingly! I've been trying to get my TFT display to work with it but I cannot as Teensy 3.0 is ARM based.

This is the TFT display that I'm using: http://dx.com/p/xs-01-2-8-tft-lcd-display-screen-module-for-arduino-blue-246259
I like it as it has a SD card port (rather than a micro SD), and a touch screen. But I cannot get it to work as there is no library that will support both the Teensy 3.0 and the display.

... and therein lies the danger of buying from cheap foreign sources with minimal after-sales support. You might get nifty hardware from a price point of view but you frequently also get to do a lot of hardware detective work and heavy lifting, code wise. I'm not an EE with the requisite experience, so having been burned once or twice I stay away from projects like that.

My suggestion would be to check and see if seeedstudio or iteadstudio might have similar touchscreens for sale, along with viable libraries to support them. Adafruit Industries may be another option. However, you are usually better off supporting vendors that take the time to document their hardware and software with a slightly more expensive purchase there than pulling your hair out trying to make a no-name, undocumented device work.

Thank you for the quick reply. I bought as it was cheap (~£11) but now thinking, I should have got something for twice as much so that it would work. I've been trying to get it work from knowing nothing as I've got it to display 1 solid block of colour but I don't know how I did that.

What displays would you suggest that work with the Teensy 3.0?

Is there a library that claims to work with that display on regular Arduino? I didn't see anything on the DX page.

If a library exists and works on Arduino but doesn't work on Teensy, I can take a look and probably help. But if you bought a display that has no library at all, unless that display came with detailed technical documentation and you want to write a library from scratch, I'm afraid there just isn't anything that can be done.

Well, here is the same board, mounted on a shield, ready to be mounted on a Arduino Uno: 2.8" TFT shield at Adafruit. However, I know this doesn't meet your needs because you want to work with the Teensy 3, not an Uno. Thus, I would turn to the 2.8" breakout board version instead and I'd confirm that it can handle being powered with 5V while being controlled with 3.3V data lines. There is also a 2.2" version and the same caveats apply - i.e. search the forum to confirm up front that the unit can be run from a Teensy 3 and how...

Last but not least, I would not try and power either display from the 3.3V power on the teensy - the demands are too high. Thus, I would try to power either breakout from the VUSB port pin if that's allowable re: the logic levels. It's not clear to me that it would be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, everyone. I think I might just get a another display that will work with the Teensy rather than try and get this one to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back