Question about piezo and analog in

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlecaude

Hello,

A friend of mine brought me some drum pads that usually work with a small midiinput box that was not reliable. I had the intuition that those pads were piezo based so I first hooked it up to an old Arduino I had lying around (by fear of damaging my Teensy) following this schematic (the resistor is a 1MOhm):

knock_bb.png

As I had guessed it worked perfectly and I got a nice signal from 0 to 1024 depending on how hard I hit the pad. I then decided to transfer this to the Teensy 3 but I added a 10k resistor on the input pin following Paul's advice on another thread.
It seems to work great but the only difference is that when nothing is hitting the pad the values changes rapidly between 3 and 5 but on the arduino it would always go back to a stable 0. I was wondering why I was seeing this noise on the Teensy but not on the Arduino, is this because the Teensy input is more precise ? Is there a way to avoid this ?

Thanks !

Nat

Last edited:
Yes, the increased precision is revealing the noise. You can set the ADC to reduced precision, or you can tell it to average more measurements together, or measure typical 'silent' values and subtract that number from the measured response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back