Quick and easy programmable led matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadp1xels

Hey guys

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on creating a large approx 16x16 programmable matrix of leds

It's for a costume for New Year's Eve

It's not going to be super fancy only one colour led probably white it doesn't need to be super sophisticated

I just want to create a series of static light sequences that I can stitch together to form a sort of led stop motion effect, I saw an example where the creator defined which LEDs were on and by setting them as 1 or 0 in a number matrix like

0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0, 0, 0,
0, 0, 0, 0,

Being a 4x4 all off

Will this be possible on teensy/ multiple teensy?

Is there an easy way to do this?

Are you talking about using 256 LEDs (a 16x16 matrix), or 16 LEDs (a 4x4 matrix)?

Both are definitely possible. Different approaches would probably be used at such different sizes.

Power is an issue too. 256 LEDs would need a LOT of power, which is a real challenge for a wearable project where you can't have a large & heavy battery.

16x16 256

Anything above 8x8 would be nice

Power was my main concern really, I know it's a big task

By the looks of things i can achieve what i want from the matrix sprite library

Because i don't really need them to all work as one big display and can use seperate matrix for seperate purposes, use the standard 8x8 3mm for prototyping little led sequences and when i come to implement them just wire up my own matrix from 5mm leds

Do you reckon teensy could handle 8x24 twice?? working independant of each other

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Matrix.html

Exactly like that just a second lot of displays running seperate stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back