Any Chance of a Teensy ++ 3.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, T3.1++ will be beneficial to more people than both debug capability and sorting pin 33, not to mention, likely pulling more people into the PJRC and Teensy ecosystem.
Then again, we aren't PJRC's board of directors ;D

Yes that's what I should have said instead of using the term header board. I will end up buying a couple of them I'm sure. A 3.1 long version would still be my preference. It would be smaller/narrower and hopefully cheaper than the 2 pcb solution with extra headers between them. I do get that being tiny is important but not at the expense of making some pins hard to use in practice. If small is the top priority then double rows of pins would be better (IMHO) than pins out the bottom and in the middle somewhere. Maybe stick microsd card holder pads in the extra space where you could use solder ball jumpers to connect to the proper pins if you soldered one on.

I'm on the other side of the fence and think that debug would be better before any new teensy. Since all the hoopla with the Zero and its debug features that looks like it might be a bust I think it would make PJRC a leader in the maker movement and drive them more business if there is a decent debug capabilities especially with existing products. Remember the teensy 3.1++ would be like 30 bucks so new to electronics users would probably just buy an LC anyway but having such a cool feature for the 3.1 and LC that could compete with the Zero would be a splash with the Arduino community I think.

Wouldn't adding debug would likely require a redesign of the 3.1? After all, how to get to those pins / SWD traces unless components get moved around? Then, where to find the space for a connector? It's not as if the Teensy is teeming with PCB space lying fallow.

Seems to me that the transition to the new boot loader chip for the 3.1 may present the best opportunity to consider a change (i.e. potential addition of a debug connection) since the PCB will have to be redesigned anyway. I've argued before that the tag-connect system seems like a pretty good potential choice since its smallest version only takes up the room of about an 0805 component and adds almost zero cost to Pauls board.

I'll also argue again that a 3++ rollout with the new debug may be the best opportunity to allow the debugger to be beta-tested in a high-end board that has more room to accommodate it before transitioning the debugger to legacy designs.

Then again, we aren't PJRC's board of directors ;D

Those "board meetings" are usually at a local restaurant/bar's Happy Hour. ;)

But I do take these conversations into consideration. Ultimately, I do try to make choices that will give the most people the most benefit, using the limited time & resources I have.

My general feeling is debug first would help more people. If I do a high-end PCB first, the design will need to be revisited soon when I do debug stuff. As things are now, I only have the Teensy 3.1 & LC boards to consider.

I'm also still holding out a small hope Freescale will make an awesome Cortex-M7 chip, rather than the limited motor-oriented one they've announced so far. If they do, I'd really want to use that. But if they haven't soon, then it's looking like the K22F will be the best choice. Doing debug first will (maybe) give more time for a Cortex-M7 option.

Paul, regarding the M7 (KV5?), what limitations have these chips ?
From the "fact sheet" they're looking good, at first glance.

lol (re.. USB!)

I should probably have mentioned in my previous post that I wouldn't like my suggestion about a Teensy+ 3.1 to get in the way of any work currently being done on a ++

If fixing the pin 33 boot issue isn't akin to blinking I think it can be back-burnered due reasonably well documented nowadays.

Does it require a patent license & royalty payment?

As best as I can tell, no, see this page. "The marginal cost of using Tag-Connect - the extra cost per board you incur by incorporating the Tag-Connect footprint - is zero." They also allow free downloads for all connector pads, for CAD packages including altium, cadence, eagle, KiCad, etc. see this page. However, to be sure re: the royalty payment issue, I'd contact them and confirm.

What I like about their selection of connectors is that they support multiple debugger / flash programmers right out of the box. Very nifty. When I called them once for pre-sales support (I ended up buying one), I got a knowledgeable engineer in like 20 seconds. Thus, even though I have yet to use their product (have to learn first!) I'm already impressed with their performance re: tech support.

Does it require a patent license & royalty payment?

OK, I followed up with Tag-Connect and spoke to Neil in Tech support on the phone. He seemed somewhat amused by the question, but confirmed that
1) There are no patent licenses to sign
2) There are no royalty payments
(he thought the web site was clear enough)

Naturally, you may consider an oral statement over the phone to not carry the same weight as a written statement from the company. In that case, you should contact them directly for confirmation.

Freescale's website just updated with info on the K26 chip!

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=K26_180

If we don't wait for a Cortex-M7 (seems pretty likely at this point), this new K26 is looking like the obvious choice for a Teensy++ board. Highlights: 120 or 180 MHz, single precision FPU, 2 MB flash, 256K RAM, 2 USB ports (one is 480 Mbit/sec), SDIO, 6 serial, 3 SPI, 4 I2C, 2 ADC (many inputs), 2 DAC, 24 PWM. Everything looks like a perfect superset of Teensy 3.1, so we won't "lose" anything.

I'm feeling pretty excited about it. ;)

Unless I'm mistaken, that could hold two full frames of a 220x220 screen in RAM and still have almost as much space left as the Teensy 3.1 has to begin with :D

6b21ef9c17d96b863db2bd496c0e3b799fb5623ea127273544dc5e4511c01337.jpg

Yeah, I noticed the lack of 5V tolerance just after posting. Not sure how I feel about that yet. Looks like we can't have everything.

Robin's looking into the export stuff. This one probably will require us to do the export control stuff.

My most wanted feature would be, as mentioned, any simple way of being able to update the sketch even by someone who has no clue about this stuff. Ie. copying a prepared hex. While still keeping the proprietary bootloader for obvious reasons.
Explaining the download Arduino/Teensyduino etc. is too many steps for the general PC user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back