Using teensy coupled with xbee for use of wireless usb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedethoven

Hi to all.

I have a novation impulse midi controler pluged to a mac with a usb cable which controls ableton live (I use it as a softsynth) All of this is mounted on a homemade keyboard stand with a spinning top (https://www.dropbox.com/s/m090c5wopsoi30v/969277_671842119522170_226391893_n.jpg)

The cable is an annoying thing when I do a show, so I want to get rid of it. But wireless usb as it is sold today has a too short range. My wish is to build a wireless usb with the help of an rn-xv or xbee modules to transmit the midi commands (which are already programmed in the impulse midi board).

The usb plug on the impulse is a type b.

now to power up all this on the impulse side (midi controler and usb transmitter), I will use a battery pack (4 AA) with a 7805 to reduce the voltage to 5v (as delivered by a usb port).

Now would it be possible to use the d+ and d- of the usb cable (plugged in the impulse) to pass the midi commands thru the teensy board and then thru the xbee module.

Shortly, use teensy's coupled with xbee (or rn-xv) as wireless usb bi-directionnal midi (full duplex).

Thank you very much for your time!

Last edited:
Can't do USB signals via XBee.
It uses UART signaling. It can also do digital and analog I/O sampling and transmission, but not at USB rates.

I'm no midi expert but doesn't midi use relatively low data rates that, non-USB, could be done via some sort of exisiting midi to uart?

I'm no midi expert but doesn't midi use relatively low data rates that, non-USB, could be done via some sort of exisiting midi to uart?

Yes, you're right about this, but there is a program called "automap" coming with the midi controler that well, automaps the pods, sliders, pads, track change, etc of the controler to ableton live, and sends back the track information (name) from ableton to the controler lcd. So, I guess that usb in this case is more than just midi info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back