Teensyduino 1.18 Release Candidate #1 Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first release candidate for Teensyduino 1.18.

Several bugs impacting Teensy 3.1 are fixed.

Old beta download links removed. Please use the latest version:
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Please give this a try and report any bugs. Try to include a sample program that reproduces the problem!

Here's a list of the changes since Teensyduino 1.17:

• Fix compile errors in several Arduino libraries with Teensy 3.1
  • Fix OctoWS2811 on Teensy 3.1
  • Keep unused native SPI chip selects high (disabled), Teensy 3.0 & 3.1

Thank you Paul. Should I uninstall my Arduino IDE and reinstall before running this? Or can I just run it on my already modified Teensy 3.0 teensyduino Arduino IDE.

Thank you for all your hard work and excellent hardware!!

It's perfectly fine to run the 1.18-rc1 installer on an Arduino 1.0.5 with any 1.17 or 1.16 Teensyduino already installed.

I did as you said and all is good, except that the non-overclock speed is still 48 MHz. Shouldn't it be 72 MHz for the 3.1? And now I am wondering if I can run two IDE's and plug two Teensy's in at the same time. Reason? I am using my replaced 3.0 to send looped serial commands to my main project for testing. I suppose I could go through the transition each time, but that will take more time.

Again, thank you Paul!!

I'm sorry Paul, but I didn't see anything that says the teensy loader supports the 3.1. I'm sure it does, but I do not want to hose my new 3.1. Can you confirm?

.... the non-overclock speed is still 48 MHz. Shouldn't it be 72 MHz for the 3.1?

Support for 72 MHz is coming, but it'll be at least a few weeks. It sounds so simple, but it's much more complex than it might seem.

And now I am wondering if I can run two IDE's and plug two Teensy's in at the same time. Reason?

Maybe. You'll have to use Verify and then press the pushbutton on Teensy. Using Upload button will reset the first Teensy it finds, which is pretty much random depending on how the operating system detects them. Odds are 50-50 it picks the right one.

Someday I'm going to make a more advanced Teensy Loader with a lot of nice features I've been dreaming about for the last couple years. But realistically, I probably won't even begin that work in 2014. There's so many other things to do first.... things I think you'll like. ;)

I'm sorry Paul, but I didn't see anything that says the teensy loader supports the 3.1. I'm sure it does, but I do not want to hose my new 3.1. Can you confirm?

Yes, of course Teensy Loader in 1.17 and 1.18-rc1 supports Teensy 3.1.

Older versions, from before Teensy 3.1 was released, of course don't support it. But nothing horribly bad should happen if you try. They just won't be able to program it.

OK Paul Thank you! I'm anxious to see the fruits of your labor in 2014. =) And if I get my Super Spectacular Christmas Wreath completed in time, I'll post a youtube and blog link in here. After all, the WS2812 is what led me to your Teensy in the first place.

Oh no! I was switching back and forth, with two arduino IDE's open (separate sketches anyway), and everything was working great, then something went wrong. Now I get download error in red on my teensy loader when accessing the 3.1. I think it is hosed! =(( I unplugged the usb, closed everything, reconnected, but same thing. Cycles like crazy, then erasing..... then download error.

EDIT: It came back up but oh man was that scary. You said that I couldn't hurt it through the loader and I should have trusted you. I disconnected the RX/TX lines from the 3.0 serial1 that were connected to the TX/RX of the 3.1 (serial2). Clicked program, and then reboot, and now it is working again. Now I'm trying to figure out what the heck just went wrong. OK, no more of this on this thread. Sorry Paul. I was very nervous there for a minute.

Last edited:
Teensy Loader has a Verbose Info window, meant to give detailed info for troubleshooting strange problems. It's hidden in the Help menu (a place nobody ever looks...) When you open the Verbose Info window, it has a menu that lets you save the entire thing to a file, which you can attach to a message.

Of course, if you're using 2 boards connected to each other, possible with other hardware involved, the entire system can get pretty complex. The loader's verbose info often isn't enough to tell exactly what's wrong, but at least it's a good start.

Thank you Paul. That is a very useful tool and I like that you implemented file saving for posting from it to help diagnose an issue. I don't need to thankfully as it is working great! A couple of things I thought you would like to know however.

With two sketches open, and one is teensy 3.1, and the other is Teensy 3.0, you have to select the proper board in each one first before compiling. Meaning that when I change the sketch that is 3.0 to work with the 3.0 board, it changes that on the other sketch too. Also, I have to close the loader before each USB cable swap or it freaks out and tries to program either teensy repeatedly before finally failing. Finally, I have to close my Putty terminal that connects serial through the USB first before programming or it fails.

If I remember to do all this then I can work with both versions just fine. Thank you sir!

Thank you Paul. This has been my first update in a while, and while I was happy before, still much has improved.
I'm very happy with your products, this software, and once again the results of my (updated) project.
-John

I noticed that in 1.18rc1, the SoftwareSerial library only checks for Teensy 3.0 (i.e. #if defined(__MK20DX128__)), and it does not have Teensy 3.1 support.

Hi,

I've tried this installer and the installer of 1.17. Both give me an error message. However I'm logged in as administrator.

by default 2013-12-22 at 17.36.44.png

I have my Arduino sketch folder (and thus also the library folder) located in a different location than default. However selecting that folder doesn't work and when selecting the Arduino.app I get the error above.

Mac OSX 10.9.1
Arduino 1.05

I'm also wondering why I need to use an installer? It would be nice if I can copy the Teensy files myself to the hardware folder of the Arduino, in the location I want. Or are there more things that you need to modify with the app?

I noticed that in 1.18rc1, the SoftwareSerial library only checks for Teensy 3.0 (i.e. #if defined(__MK20DX128__)), and it does not have Teensy 3.1 support.

Are you sure?

My copy of 1.0.5 with 1.18-rc1 installed has this in libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.cpp

Code:
#include <avr/interrupt.h>
#include <avr/pgmspace.h>
#include <Arduino.h>
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

#if defined(__MK20DX128__) || defined(__MK20DX256__)

and this in libraries/SoftwareSerial/SoftwareSerial.h

Code:
#define _SS_MAX_RX_BUFF 64 // RX buffer size
#ifndef GCC_VERSION
#define GCC_VERSION (__GNUC__ * 10000 + __GNUC_MINOR__ * 100 + __GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__)
#endif

#if defined(__MK20DX128__) || defined(__MK20DX256__)

class SoftwareSerial : public Stream

I've tried this installer and the installer of 1.17. Both give me an error message. However I'm logged in as administrator.

I can't explain why you're not getting write access. Maybe you could look at the permission associated with those files or directories? On a Mac, control-click on Arduino and use "show package contents" to navigate to the structure inside Arduino.

But the simplest thing would be to just get a fresh copy of Arduino 1.0.5 and extract it to Downloads or Documents, then run the installer on that copy.

I have my Arduino sketch folder (and thus also the library folder) located in a different location than default.

The installer never touches your sketchbook folder. It only installs stuff into the Arduino software itself.

However selecting that folder doesn't work and when selecting the Arduino.app I get the error above.

That's what it's supposed to do. The sketchbook folder is where your programs are stored.

I'm also wondering why I need to use an installer? It would be nice if I can copy the Teensy files myself to the hardware folder of the Arduino, in the location I want. Or are there more things that you need to modify with the app?

There are MANY more things that just extracting files to one directory. Several of the IDE's java objects are modified, so it's far more complex than simply adding files. Many files in the built-in libraries and other places are modified in slight ways, so they'll work or be optimized for Teensy. Many of the files have special logic as to whether they are installed. On Macintosh, there's special handling to make 10.8 and 10.9's gatekeeper checks happy. The installer also has dozens of optional libraries, a complete ARM toolchain for Teensy3, and lots of other stuff. In fact, the 1.18-rc1 installer on Mac has a total of 1934 files embedded which are optionally installed to dozens of different locations within Arduino. It's far too much and too complex for manual installation.

Hi Paul, and thanks again for this wonderful product :)

I've got two questions :
- do you plan to fix the function scoped static constructor problem (http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/24440...-objects-in-functions-don-t-seem-to-be-called) of which you must be aware and what exactly is the problem with the simple implementation of the various __cxa_* functions you have commented out in teensy(3)/new.cpp ? As you have defined the symbols as weak, I overwrite them in my projects but I would be happy to remove these hacks
- will the teensy loader CLI be updated soon ? (well, not having a Teensy 3.1 yet I don't wan't to hack it blindly)

Last edited:
Is 72mhz difficult to do because it's not an even multiple of 16mhz? I believe that that was part of the reason they never upped the Arduino to 20mhz. I'd be happy with 64mhz!

Hi Paul,

I had installed the 1.18rc on an fresh Arduino 1.0.5 and one used with an older one. The Menue part Tools opens real slow after it, maybe a bug but else realy nice work. Windows system btw.

Yeah, this has been an long-standing issue with Arduino, where configured but not present bluetooth devices cause long delays as the IDE tries to query for your system's serial port list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back