Blatant but worthy promotion!

I don't know, seems more real than many kickstarter projects. Doesn't look like complete vapor at least. They have working software one can download, and photos of actual protoboards. Although I would say the scope is the least interesting part IMO. The most interesting is the logic analyzer with the big on-board memory. At least they didn't make ridiculous promises like streaming 16ch 200MHz/ch data over USB.

Only 25hrs to go!

For many people, a "real" oscilloscope is out of their budget. This is why Gabotronics and his line of low cost (<$150) scopes does well I suspect. The DSLogic board is a solid foundation for more than a logic analyzer and a scope. They will eventually be adding an RF analyzer, a USB analyzer and more. IMO they do not make ridiculous claims and they have a commitment to open source which is more to say than oscilloscope manufacturers. The investment "risk" is very low so I pledged.

;)

Anyone backing this project mainly to buy a 2 channel oscilloscope at a discount would be wise to simply save their money and get a cheap Rigol scope.

Sure, if you want to support the project, great. That's what Kickstarter is all about.

But the reality is probably a lot of backers are putting their money into this simply to buy a product that appears to offer a lot of functionality at a low price. I'm pretty sure most people doing that will end up being disappointed.

They will eventually be adding an RF analyzer, a USB analyzer and more.

I wouldn't count those chickens until they hatch.

In fact, on just the USB analyzer, here's one of the earlier Kickstarter projects.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bushing/openvizsla-open-source-usb-protocol-analyzer

Last edited:
I guess I've been lucky so far, as all of the projects I've backed have borne fruit. I've already got a Rigol 'scope and a low cost logic analyzer, but this project has piqued my interest, so I pulled the trigger on it.

I'll let you know how it works out

My reference to "real" oscilloscopes was not to indicate that they would not deliver what they promised. I am sorry if it was understood this way.
I was rather a comparison with the abilities of the kind of Oscilloscopes Paul has referenced many times.

I've worked with and supported open source software for well over 20 years. I am just not as naive as many to believe all software has to be free and open source and closed source is evil.

I've used many different oscilloscopes over the years. Until recently, I've always hated using digital scopes. Historically, they've really sucked. Sure, you get a lot of awesome capability an analog scope can't do, particularly single-shot capture and viewing pre-trigger waveform. But they were always so slow and frustrating, like trying to run complex software on an old '286-based PC.

The trouble with a slow scope is that the analog world is real-time events. If you're using a spreadsheet or database on a slow PC, you can just wait or go get a cup of coffee while some huge transaction completes. But trying playing a 1080p hi-def video on a slow netbook! Analog signals are real time events. If you only capture & display a few waveforms, you're almost certain to miss seeing the infrequent but important times when your circuit (or software) isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

Thankfully, the "digital phosphor" scopes started to change this, and in recent years Agilent and to a lesser degree Rigol have really stepped up their game. Finally these fast digital scopes are able to really give you the same type of responsive view of signals that analog scopes have done since at least the 1970's.

Sadly, the entry point for low end of that level of performance is still about $600 to $800, mostly thanks to Rigol.

Last edited:
DSLogic Plus

We're now 6 years later and things have improved pretty much.
I recently purchased the DSLogic Plus from DreamsSourceLab [$149, free shipping] and I'm pretty happy with it.
Especially, I like the decoding function.
Here is a screenshot of DSview V1.01 after the decoding the I2S signals to a PCM1502 DAC board:

DSview, I2S decoded, 2KHz sine.jpg

The setup with Teensy 3.2:

IMG_20200219_185120.jpg

And the code:
Code:
// PCM5102 bd   Teensy 3.x    Teensy 4.0
// VCC          Vin           Vin           5V
// GND          GND           GND
// LRCK         23            20            44.1 KHz
// DATA         22            7
// BCK          9             21            2.8224 MHz = 64.Fs
// --           11            23            MCLK

#include <Audio.h>
#include <Wire.h>
#include <SPI.h>
#include <SD.h>
#include <SerialFlash.h>

AudioSynthWaveformSine   sine1;           //xy=354,331
AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;            //xy=578,330
AudioConnection          patchCord1(sine1, 0, i2s1, 0);
//AudioConnection          patchCord2(sine1, 0, i2s1, 1);  // left channel disabled

void setup() {
  AudioMemory(20);
  sine1.frequency(2000);
  sine1.amplitude(1.0);
}

void loop() {
}

I am not affiliated with DreamSourceLab in any way, just a happy user.
Paul

Just heard in the radio that Real was sold to the Russians today, so hurry up :)

Anyway, does it have something like a 'oscilloscope mode'? The LAs I used so far (Salae clones) always need a manual start which is tedious. I'd like a mode where it automatically restarts when it gets the next trigger.

@FrankB,
For that price you will get the Basic version version, not the Plus. They are fiddling with/mixing up the specs...
Spezifikationen:
Typ: Basisversion, Upgrade-Version (optional)
Modellnummer: DSLogic Logic Analyzer
Modell: Stream + Puffer
Maximale Abtastrate:
4 Kanaele bei 400 MHz
8 Kanaele bei 200 MHz
16 Kanaele bei 100 MHz
Stufenlos einstellbarer Schwellenspannungsbereich: 0,5 V bis + 5 V
Der Eingangsspannungsbereich: - 30 V bis + 30 V
Eingangsimpedanz: 250 kOhm

Basisversion
Die Lagertiefe an Bord: Insgesamt 256 K
Hardwarespeicher: 256 Kbit
Der groesste staatliche Abtasttakt: 30 m

Upgrade-Version
Die Lagertiefe an Bord: Insgesamt 256 m
Hardwarespeicher: 256 MBit
Der groesste State Sampling Clock: 50 M

@luni,
No, it does not have an 'oscilloscope mode'. DSL sells other products for that function, the DSCope family.

Regards,
Paul

Hm, was thinking about it - but I used my LA (100MHz saelea clone) a year ago.. I think I'll wait for the 800MHz version.
I use my scope more.

No, it does not have an 'oscilloscope mode'. DSL sells other products for that function, the DSCope family.

Just had a look at the manual. I think this

Anmerkung 2020-02-19 201102.png

is what I want. If I understand correctly it re starts measurement when it gets the next trigger right?

If a student from Europe is reading this, who seriously wants to buy a Hantek BE6022: Don't do that, don't throw your money out the window. It's no good. So that you'll believe me: I'll give you mine for free (It's OK for Audio). You just pay for postage.
(This only applies to Teensy users with more than 10 posts before 19.02.2020 here in this forum - And I a want proof that you're a student.)

PaulS: Your post was a reminder that I have so much unused stuff here... need room for more ;)

Back