Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 3.0 with External Power Issues

Teensy 3.0 with External Power Issues

Hey, I'm just testing this out for a bigger project. But whenever I switch from USB Power to 5V external power, all the LEDs start to flicker and go crazy. What am I doing wrong? I'm going from the 5v external into the teensy then to the LEDs. Any help? On a tight deadline. Thank you

Bad or inadequate power supply?
    Grounds correct?

I'm using the Adafruit 5V 10Amp supply. All grounded correctly. I can take a picture of the wiring if that helps

Have a 'scope to look at noise on 5V power? You may have to use an inductor and capacitor (low pass filter) to feed Teensy a better power. But you'd think that the 3.3V regulator in the Teensy would deal with this.
    Grounds: make sure the Teensy's ground goes directly to the power supply's GND terminal so that the LEDs' current spikes on its GND doesn't affect the Teensy.

This is what I mean
    Power Supply GND -> wire -> junction where GND goes to Teensy and GND goes to LEDs. This "wire" will get current spikes and the wire is in common with Teensy's GND. Not recommended.

Don't have a scope around to look at that. Don't usually do these kind of projects. But below is a picture of my teensy and where power is being run.

red = 5V
    white/blue = ground
    green = data

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wiring.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	141.6 KB 
ID:	1331