Trouble with Octows2811 and Adafruit NeoPixels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
first off, Paul this is an awesome project! Thank you for letting us enjoy all your hard work!

Second, I got myself lost in all this Processing.org world and I would appreciate if someone might enlighten me on the issue I am experiencing while I'm trying to load the movie2serial. Basically I could not load the movie and I've tried to run Loop sketch which did ran well. Then I have changed the ToyStory file with "transit.mov" from the Loop example and I have also replaced the movie in the data folder. However every time I run the sketch (even bone original sketch) I have the same error. I am using Processing 2.1.1 and I have tried 2.0.3 (with out deleting the 2.1.1 - could that be an issue??) with the same fault:

java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load movie transit.mov
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load movie file transit.mov
at processing.core.PApplet.runSketch(PApplet.java:10573)
at processing.core.PApplet.main(PApplet.java:10377)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Could not load movie file transit.mov
at processing.core.PApplet.die(PApplet.java:3937)
at processing.core.PApplet.die(PApplet.java:3946)
at processing.video.Movie.initGStreamer(Movie.java:659)
at processing.video.Movie.<init>(Movie.java:101)
at movie2serial3.<init>(movie2serial3.java:67)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:57)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:45)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:526)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:374)
at processing.core.PApplet.runSketch(PApplet.java:10571)
... 1 more

I would appreciate your help or a guideline.

Thank you

Sounds like the mov file might not be in the place that processing is looking for it. You might try giving the file path explicitly, or checking to see where the default location for processing should be.

Sounds like the mov file might not be in the place that processing is looking for it. You might try giving the file path explicitly, or checking to see where the default location for processing should be.

Mortonkopf, thanks for the guideline, it was the file path which was giving me an issue. I just didn't had time to work on it until now.
Anyhow, once the full file path was used it worked as a charm!

I'm still seeing the flickering issue with the newest version of the library. With the Neopixel library there is no flicker at all.
Tried at 3.3v directly from Teensy. Tried with various resistors, tried at 5v with a 74HCT245, it still flickers. The flicker is never at the beginning of the strip seems to start around 80 leds. I'm trying with the rainbow example.
Any ideas ?
Thanks !

Are you supplying the strip from both sides?
I'm using a small 5V 5A power supply which can be trimmed to supply the 74HCT245 with 3.9V that worked out best for me.

Yes feeding 5v through both sides from a 10a power supply at 5v.
tried lowering (and slightly increasing) the voltage but it did not help. The same example with neopixel is super stable...

Running your teensy at 96 or 48MHz?
How many less are you powering? 5V 10A is 50W, do you have overload on your power supply?

I have had 4 strips of 180 LEDs running with no flicker (expect in rainbow or plasma test, I can't remember which one now) in display mode. Working really well.

I'm still seeing the flickering issue with the newest version of the library. With the Neopixel library there is no flicker at all.
Tried at 3.3v directly from Teensy. Tried with various resistors, tried at 5v with a 74HCT245, it still flickers. The flicker is never at the beginning of the strip seems to start around 80 leds. I'm trying with the rainbow example.
Any ideas ?
Thanks !
See this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back