Serial data not being transferred?

Using the code below, I'm not seeing any text appear in the serial monitor (also tried TeraTerm); however, the LED is blinking just fine:

Code:
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println("led on");
  digitalWrite(13, 1);
  delay(1000);
  Serial.println("led off");
  digitalWrite(13, 0);
  delay(1000);
}

Details:
  • Teensy Software Beta6
  • Teensy Loader 1.07
  • Win7 64-bit

The baud rate is set correctly in the monitor. I've also confirmed that the program running is not the default LED blinker by changing the delay and seeing an obvious response. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so I'm guessing it's something to do with my setup...

This definitely does work. I've tested it on Win7 64 bit (and all the other operating systems too).

You need to have the serial driver installed, and you need to select the correct COM port from Tools > Serial Ports before you open the serial monitor window. You can use the Windows Device Manager to figure out which COM port is the one from your Teensy 3.0. The simplest way is to just unplug and reconnect the USB cable and look at which port appears.

I did what you suggested with the device manager and saw that COM4, not COM3, was the right port for me. Oddly enough, the software had selected COM3 but was able to upload sketches just fine. After switching to COM4 in the software, my messages are getting printed now. Thanks!

Back