Teensy 3.0 how many Gyros can it support

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben10teensy

Hey I want to use multiple Gyros on a teensy 3.0

How many Gyros Accelerometers and Magnetometers ( IMU ) can it support?

I read about multiplexing...would this help?

I would like to hook up as many as possible without having to go to another teensy

Most gyros use either an I2C or SPI interface, these support multiple devices so you can pretty much have as many as you need... Not trying to pry, but you only really need one, more will only give you the same answer... :)

Well I'm trying to record rotation and position of joints(arm). So every joint would need an imu. OK so my main concern is recovering all the data and using it through midi. Right now I have a couple potentiometers doing it and they work great. Each pot gives a rotation value of 0-127. How would I collect the gyro accel and magno data? I imagine there's more math involved.?

Thanks for the info. Which do you recommend for joint movement? I've seen all types. I'm looking to put all the sensors In a small box. Like as small as a cigarette box.

Well, the 9150 I use has a compass so probably overkill for your project.

The 3050 might be suitable for you, cheap and small :)

All the 3050s could be strung on a single I2C bus (I think the spec allows quite long link lengths), with the teensy as the master perhaps clipped to your belt with a couple of AAs for power.

Page 15: 6.5 Electrical Specifications
I2C ADDRESS
AD0 = 0 -> Adress 1101000
AD0 = 1 -> Adress 1101001

As i understand it, only two of these devices on the same I2C bus!?

It is a pretty common situation. Many small slave devices only have a limited set of address options and will collide with each other on the same bus. It is why bus multiplexers exist.

However, the Teensy 3.1 can operate as a Master on 4 I2C buses (multiplexing two sets of output pins on each of the two buses). With that you could conceivably hook up to 8 devices (two on each bus). Refer to the quad_master example here: http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/21680-New-I2C-library-for-Teensy3

I don't understand why you are using a gyroscope? If you are replacing a pot, then you would want absolute angle which a gyroscope won't give you. A gyroscope provides angular velocity. Still would produce 0 degrees/second.

If you want an absolute measure (inclinometer) you could use an accelerometer. I use the ADXL345. Adafruit has an excellent tutorial and Arduino code for SPI. You would not be limited to any number of devices with SPI. The accelerometer measures acceleration and since you are interested in absolute angle, you could simply consider your local accelerations (movement) to be insignificant compared to the 1g gravity always imposed. Simple trig gets you to the 3d angle you desire. This will take a bit of math.

The IMU6150 has an accel/gyro and the IMU9150 has accel/gyro/compass and the fusion in the device can provide the Euler angles for you thus requiring no additional trig. However, and a big however, the code for the 9150 is not for beginners and most of the available code DOES NOT WORK.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back