Is Midi over bluetooth possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadp1xels

Teensy Wireless Sensor Network

So I got the Adafruit Bluefruit EZ-Link working with teensy 3.0, my battery is in and everything is going good.

My project is a Midi controller that I want to be completely wireless

Is it possible to go from the teensy out as midi, over Bluetooth and in to the computer as Midi or am I going to have to use some form of bridging software?

Last edited:
I'm quite sure that this could be feasible; even though I never worked with Bluetooth, I was investigating the BT protocol last week for a teensy+bt personal project and there should be some kind of information that you can send via teensy thru bt to a host (say pc or mobile phone) to tell the host that the BT device is, say, a keyboard rather than a mouse or, in your case, a MIDI controller. I recommend reading thru the BT 4.0 specs (or whatever version your bt module supports) , with particular attention to the communication protocol. Keep me up on this ;)

I've opted to modify this post as finding out Midi straight over Bluetooth would cause many more problems than I want.

I'm considering splitting my circuit up into two sensor nodes and a main base station. the process would allow me to maintain MIDI compliancy while making my project a lot easier!

I've gathered I will split the circuit up to sensor pieces that take my readings therefore the glove I will just have my sensors and an arduino to process and hold them ready for transmission.

something like:

byte flexsensor1;
byte flexsensor2;
byte flexsensor1=analogRead... (you get the idea)

My main problem I can't see to find help on Bluetooth transmission from a microcontroller like arduino to another microcontroller like teensy 3.0

I simply want the gloves to get the values of my variables and transmit them through bluetooth to my teensy so they go in via USB as usbMIDI.send... functions

I found this guide which is effectively the idea but I can't afford to buy the Xbee units and was hoping I could do it with slightly more inexpensive means.

http://little-scale.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/teensy-xbee-simple-native-usb-wireless.html

Does anybody have any advice on how I could achieve this on cheaper Bluetooth transceivers? (I don't want to use the RF units requiring antenna loops)

maybe a pair of http://www.miniinthebox.com/hc-06-w...f-main-module-serial-for-arduino_p903460.html can work out cheaply enough? It should be possible to do it using practically any Teensy PJRC still sells nowadays and practically any Arduino you like - personally I would select a pair of matching Teensys but it should present about the same level of difficulty regardless of Arduino or Teensy implementation.

I haven't looked at community offerings of Bluetooth libraries for Arduino & Teensy but I expect there will be at least something if not tonnes of helpful stuff out there.

maybe a pair of http://www.miniinthebox.com/hc-06-w...f-main-module-serial-for-arduino_p903460.html can work out cheaply enough? It should be possible to do it using practically any Teensy PJRC still sells nowadays and practically any Arduino you like - personally I would select a pair of matching Teensys but it should present about the same level of difficulty regardless of Arduino or Teensy implementation.

I haven't looked at community offerings of Bluetooth libraries for Arduino & Teensy but I expect there will be at least something if not tonnes of helpful stuff out there.

Those are the kinds of modules I'm hoping to use.

I'm using a Teensy 3.0 or 3.1 as the main base station (I broke one other 3.0 :()

Unfortunately this project has cost more than I expected (due to experimentation) over the past months and so getting another two teensy may be out of my budget, Because its such a simple task to obtain my sensor data i was planning on using something like a mini arduino clone. we'll see how it goes! its the transmission and libraries to do it I'm really puzzled on, I don't want to buy anymore hardware until I secure some form of convincing solution I don't want to have to shell out for the XBee units.

Ok I've just made some purchases in hope I can conquer my issue

I found the Nrf24l01+ modules to be a popular pickup for wireless sensor networks so I decided I would give them a good swing, little concerned about the speed I need the gloves to be nice and responsive and spending approximately £2 a module seems like its unlikely to give me that.

Never the less! its a learning experience.

I opted for some UNO clones initially, a lot of the libraries are based on Uno as a standpoint this will save me some time and I really could do with some secondary platforms for my development :) My main project will end on a Teensy but its nice to have a clear pinout for experimentation and tutorials

Just purchased

- 2 x Arduino UNO clones
- 2 x NRF24L01+ Protoshields
- 2 x Mini 170 point breadboards (to cover solder proto part)
- 5 x NRF24L01+ RF Modules
- 1 x 40 pin Male to female jumpers (for testing on teensy due to pinout)

Hopefully using Uno and shields will give me a good standpoint to take code and hardware to Teensy 3.0 or 3.1 and get this sensor network working quickly! :)

Last edited:
In the spirit of keeping this updated, so far I have two analog values communicating over RF between two Uno's

Not sure about the speed at the minute, hopefully I will get just enough speed to keep the it fairly responsive

Next step is to communicate two uno values to one teensy 3.1 to represent what my setup will be.

Seems you got results, jugding from your last post?

I am building a MIDI Controller into a guitar body, and am therefor looking for the same type of solutions as you have started experimenting with. It would be greatly appreciated if you could give us an update on how it went/is going? Did you get a complete controller functioning flawlessly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back