Windows driver feedback needed. Yes, again

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulStoffregen

I'm hoping for some feedback from anyone using Windows with the new driver.

Yes, 1.18-rc3 has changed the Windows driver yet again.

You can tell which driver is being used by the specific words that appear in the Device Manager.

• "USB Serial (Communication Class, Abstract Control Model) (COM #)" - The 1st, oldest driver
  • "Teensy USB Serial (PJRC.COM) (COM #)" - The 2nd driver
  • "Teensy USB Serial (COM #)" - This 3rd, newest driver
screen.PNG

Some specific questions:

Does Teensy work in Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick mode, where you open an actual COM port for Serial.print and the keyboard, mouse and joystick are also able to work?

Does it install without trouble on Windows 7, 8, Vista? This one is signed, so it's supposed to work on all. On XP, the signature isn't recognized, but XP ought to let you use it with a "Continue Anyway". At least that's how it's supposed to work.

Another long-standing problem has been confusing problems if you press the button on Teensy while the Arduino Serial Monitor is open. I believe there's still more work to be done on this, but this new driver should at least solve part of the problem, where the serial port was unusable when it reappeared. Maybe?

There's still a problem where the COM port can't be accessed if the device comes back while Arduino still has it open. In other words, you press the button while the Serial Monitor window is open. If the window is still open and still accessing COM3 (or whatever number was used), when the port comes back as COM3, Arduino can't access COM3 because it had the same name open at that time. But if you close the serial monitor before COM3 comes back... on the old driver that still didn't work, but it might on this new one. If so, then (hopefully) the last step needed to really make this work well is a patch in Arduino to automatically close the serial monitor (perhaps freezing the window or turning it gray) when the port vanishes.

I tried tested briefly on XP, 7, and 8.1. So far I haven't worked on that Arduino patch. Before diving into that part, I could really use more feedback from everyone using Windows, especially on how this new driver handles unplug or reset while the port is open by the serial monitor or some other software.

Please, if you have Windows, give this new driver a try and let me know how it works for you? And which version(s) of Windows you tested.

Last edited:
I am actually having problems with Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick in Windows 7 64bit. The com port is showing as the 2nd version (PJRC.com) even though I have installed this latest version twice now. The Serial+Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick just shows as a USB serial, no keyboard, mouse or game controller settings.

I will play with it a bit more and perhaps try a reboot.

Regards,

Les

Try right clicking on it in the Device Manager and use Uninstall. You should see a check box to delete the driver software. That ought to get rid of the old driver.

Try right clicking on it in the Device Manager and use Uninstall. You should see a check box to delete the driver software. That ought to get rid of the old driver.

Yep, just did that before my reboot and it's using the correct driver now. It's also showing correct under Devices. Will play more tomorrow.

Regards,

Les

Well, that was interesting. I'm on Arduino 1.0.5 and Teensyduino 1.8rc2, and realised that I had never used Teensy 3.1 with any of the Serial , Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick+Serial, etc options. So before testing the new driver, figured best to test the old one for comparison.

Setting board to Teensy 3.1 and Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick+Serial, I compiled a sketch that send a bunch of text to Serial. This brought up the Teensy Loader, and Windows reports that a new device is found and a new driver is being installed. Teensy Loader reports an upload error, immediately followed by a Blue Screen of Death (Page Fault in Non Paged Area), a reboot, which failed, and went into System Restore.

In the interests of science I did try again and it did give the same BSoD again.

Downloading RC3 now. Will put in a fresh 1.0.5 install, so I have the old one around in case of further testing...

Fresh 105 plus TD118rc3. Installer (claimed to) install a new USB Serial driver.
Connected a Teensy 3.0, uploaded blink with USB type set to MIDI. No problems. Changed USB type to Serial, still Teensy 3.0, uploaded a sketch that outputs lots of text to serial. New driver installed (it claims), reboot ok, but serial monitor will not open because it can't find COM6. Device manager shows the old driver
Teensy USB Serial (PJRC.COM) (COM9).
Connect my Teensy 3.1, before I even press the button to upload there is a BSOD again, Page Fault in Non-paged Area, also mentions usb.sys. This happens reliably whenever I connect this Teensy 3.1 now. It also prevents Windows from booting if it is connected during boot.

Trying manual uninstall of the old driver.

Last edited:
Manually uninstalled the old driver witha Teensy 3.0 installed. Re-ran the 118rc3 installer (as admin, same as before) and told it to update the driver. It said five devices were updated. Now device manager says
Teensy USB Serial (COM9)
Posting this before attempting to reconnect the Teensy 3.1 :)

Ouch! I'm really sorry this got so messed up.

I wish I knew how a BSOD is even possible? All 3 drivers are only an INF file that tells Windows to load its own USBSER.SYS driver when the device is detected. The 1st and 3rd use "Compatible ID" matching. The 2nd tried more traditional USB VID/PID matching, but otherwise was nearly identical to the 1st driver. The 3rd driver reverted back to Compatible ID matches and added SERENUM.SYS as a filter driver, in hopes of detecting unexpected device removal better.

I tested here on Win7 home 64 bit. I also tried Win 8.1 and XP SP3. However, all of these were fresh installs. I don't actually use Windows much, since my primary system is Linux and I use a Mac for video editing, so I don't have any "used" Windows installs with lots of other stuff on them.

Nantonos, I really wish I knew what to do next, how to recover from this. Sadly, I don't even understand what went wrong.

Not seeing the BSOD on Win7-64Pro. I've been pulling software on and off while working to get LIFA to work with 2.0 and 3.1, and swapping between boards. Just swapped between an Uno, 2.0 and 3.1 boards. All seem to be properly recognized.

Serial monitor comes up fine for the 3.1 on COM11. 2.0 comes up on COM4, after changing which port it's pointed at in the "Tools - Serial port" menu.

Maybe try a full Arduino uninstall using Revo to clear up any cruft? Uninstall the Teensy driver, unplug and replug to make sure there's not another still lurking somehow.

I'm totally an Arduino / Teensy newb, but that's how I'd approach what feels like a driver conflict. Just for fun, what error is the BSOD showing?

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back