Two Teensy3.1 are not recognized by Kubuntu 13.10 (with udev rules)

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekguy

Hi everyone,

I just jumped on the Teensy3.1 wagon by getting two, which I received yesterday. I went right to the getting started section on the PJRC website, installed the udev rules, and connected one up. Kubuntu 13.10 doesn't create any /dev/ttyA* or /dev/ttyU* device for the teensy3.1. Both teensy3.1 boards check out according to how the docs say they should be - running the blink led program at about 1 second. Both teensy3.1's go into halfkay mode when the button is pressed, and the teensy loader recognizes both of them.

Everything *seems* like it *should* be working in Linux, but it isn't. This Kubuntu 13.10 is a fresh installation, so it doesn't have more than the normal junk in it. :) I've had both teensy3.1's plugged direct into a USB port on my laptop.

Am I missing something obvious?

lsusb shows:
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 16c0:0486 Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensyduino RawHID
OR
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 16c0:0478 Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensy Halfkay Bootloader

At present, I don't see anything that clues me into what the problem might be, so ideas and feedback are appreciated.

8-Dale

Kubuntu 13.10 doesn't create any /dev/ttyA* or /dev/ttyU* device for the teensy3.1.

That's actually normal. Teensy is NOT natively a serial device. It only becomes USB Serial when you program it to be so, usually with Arduino where Tools > USB Type is set to an option with Serial. More details are here:

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

Long ago, we used to ship Teensy 3.0 with a USB serial LED blink. But we changed the default LED blink to RawHID, because the out-of-box experience on Windows was so bad. This way, it can only become a serial device after you run Arduino with Teensyduino installed, which means the driver gets installed, which makes for a much smoother experience on Windows (pretty much like things are always on Mac and Linux).

Just run Arduino and make sure Tools > USB Type is set to Serial, and upload any sketch. Then you'll get a /dev/ttyACM device. Of course, you need the udev rules for it to be accessible to non-root users.

Hi,

I just broke the USB connector off one of my Teensy3.1 boards. Is this fixable? It looks like the pads *may* have come off with the connector. :( I thought I was pulling the cable out of it properly, but that wasn't the case.

I'm glad I bought two now!

8-Dale

PaulStoffregen -

I want to change the device descriptions of Teensy LC boards used as multiple MIDIs in Linux. On giving "lsusb" command I get "Van Ooijen Technische Informatica Teensyduino MIDI" as the device description for all boards. How can I change that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back