Adding features to Movie2Serial for OctoWS2811, What do ya want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have been working on an OctoWS2811 project for quite a while now and am looking to add some features. Paul's Movie2Serial processing app was pretty nice, but I have made some improvements.

Added features:
-Plays multiple videos sequentially
-Videos are loaded in sequentially, auto detects total number of videos
-The full list of videos is looped instead of just one
-Allows the user to set an initial volume level for each video
-shows the current volume level
-Pause with click or space
-skip forward with 'f'
-skip back with 'r'
-skip to the next video with 'n'
-Change video volume with '+' and '-'

Now I still need to fully test these features but I was wondering if there was anything else people want added to the Movie2Serial program?

I think a lot of people would love to see it as a compiled, stand-alone program that doesn't require Processing. There would probably need to be a GUI for selecting the video files and serial ports, probably with stored prefs for at least the ports.

Play from a live source has also been a commonly requested feature.

I believe Processing can export programs so they run stand-alone. I used it once on a Mac. Not sure if it works on all 3, or if there are some limitations?

The main stand-alone obstacle is the need to edit the code for the serial port list and video file name. If those were nice GUIs and the port name(s) were stored to a config file, registry setting or some other non-volatile location that's automatically read at startup, there would be no need to edit stuff in the code.

Running on:
  • Linux
  • Mac OSX
  • Windows

Hey, you asked ;)
Isn't processing a java based programming language, meaning that it would be cross platform and could make calls to .txt files for config properties?
Alternatively, the GUI could be written in Java, this is reasonably straight forward. This has some drawbacks, it would require JAvaruntime environment and java, some say, can lead to some back door security risks on some operating systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back