easyT6963 Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumotoy

I've got some large 240x128 LCD graphic displays using T6963 controller, I was disappointed that can't find a decent library to drive it! U8glib it's very raw, does not use any of the special features of this chip and no Teensy3, or DUE support, just turn on and drive pixels in slowest mode. Other libraries around are old or not working but there's a guy called Radosław Kwiecień that spent a lot of time on this weird controller and revealed some useful informations that helped a lot. Since controller needs from 14 to 16 pin for drive it I build up a library that works with a fast GPIO expander (Microchip MCP23s17) that uses 4 wires, all can be shared with other 8 chip (included CS, thanks to HAEN feature) and support some of the best features of T6963 like the ability to mix graphic and text but in different pages. This particular ability let you design a nice graphic environment and apply text (with OR,AND,XOR, etc.) but you can fast update text without have to touch the graphics.
Since uses just 4 wires, it can be used with almost any MCU, tested with Teensy3 and Mega2560.
I have done enough optimizations and now it's resonable fast, even more than other LCD controllers, there's a link of a video on github, as I told, it works just with 4 pins.
https://github.com/sumotoy/easyT6963

I noticed that ebay offers those LCD for cheap (old stock), probably because almost all needs -5 to -15 (depends of model) for contrast so you will need to wire up a simple steup negative converter, I was luky that mine has excellent luminosity and it's an high voltage backlight drived, really high quality, not the 12 buks chinese crappy ones. I got 4 for 14 Euro each from an old stock in germany.
Hope that someone find it useful...
tms.jpg

Last edited:
In ebay there's a lot, type T6963, but in electronic fear and meetings are quite easy to find, mostly Old Stocks. I suppose they not much used because they are usually quite large and MCU like UNO can run out memory so I haven't see so much support but because of it's unique feature to use mixed Graphics and Text can be really useful for some projects. Mine its a Wintek WM2412F with high voltage background, very high quality, highly readable, got 4 (with the high voltage converter) for cheap in ebay, old stock, prolly used in elevators.
I just tested library with a Teensy 3.1 at 96Mhz and performances was amazing, in fast mode it uses just 3 pins that remaining shareable, it needs MISO only if you want to upload custom chars in text CGRAM (as the liquidCrystal one).
This is the video with a MEGA2560
, and this one with Teensy3.1
quality it's terrible, haved to use a toy camera but it's the only video thing I got here in the lab in this moment, sorry!
I should note that library should support any T6963 lcd, any measure.

Last edited:
I was think to use this as display together Audio Board (FTT analyzer) but just discovered that SPI pins are not accessible, but noticed that you are talking about alternative SPI pinouts. I shall add an alternative SPI pin addressing on the gpio_library...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back