gyro accelerometer rotation sensor ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben10teensy

OK so in my phone I have a rotation sensor.
I've read this is an accumulation of gyro accelerometer and other sensor data.
And it outputs a Roll pitch yaw value, also it does it in x y z.
I'm using the teensy 3. which sensor on the market would give me those same values?

And would it require a bunch of math to get it, or would it do it internally?

I'm using the LSM303D in one of my projects. Pololu has a neat little board with that chip on it. The LSM303D is an accelerometer and a magnetometer (but no gyro!), and can be used to calculate roll/pitch/yaw of the device it is attached to. Freescale have some application notes on that subject. The math is a bit tricky (don't panic, it's all in the app note I linked to, and they have more appnotes) and the sensor itself doesn't do any calculations by itself, so you have to do it.

Regards

Christoph

I have found an inexpensive board that has 3 gyros, 3 accel + magnetometer and does all the Kalman filter math on a DSP chip to give you corrected roll. pitch , yaw. No math for you to do Look up JBoborow robotics. It communicates over SPI or serial. Fantastic job at a great price.

I recently needed somthing similar, I went with the Razor IMU and it's reasonably good. I was also thinking of waiting for the Arduimu but am glad I didn't cause they have majorly delayed it.
I really wish I had seen the Pololu products before buying cause they look awesome!
Something to note: if you buy one of the products with the processor on board, as opposed to a sensor stick, they are a bit more expensive but heaps easier to deal with, you just have to parse the serial string instead of doing any maths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back