Using stackable headers for Audio board and wiz820io adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nlecaude

I just got my audio board and my wiz820 adapter and realized later there were special 14x1 headers available for them.
I think I may have found another solution though, to use some Arduino stackable headers like this : http://www.futurlec.com/Connectors/ARDHEAD8.shtml
They don't have a 14x1 version but I think it can work by putting a 6x1 and 8x1 next to each other. The spacing might not be totally right but a little bit of filing should do the trick. Will report back if it works... Seems like a nice solution when you don't want to mount things permantly...

I had some wrong number of pins stackable headers as you discuss.
Xacto knife, slice at exactly the right point, sawing motion with Xacto, perfecto-o.
I've also abutted these but had to sand one end a bit to get proper fit.

I've also abutted these but had to sand one end a bit to get proper fit.

I've done the same. The male headers can usually stack side-by-side, but the female sockets usually have this little extra bit that needs to be shaved or sanded off.

ARDHEAD.gif
(click for full size)

stevech: if you know a better source I'd be glad to know, I'm not in a hurry this time but it could happen. Nice thing about futurlec is shipping price, 4$ on small orders is pretty cheap.

Yes, I tried using just an 8 and 6 stackable Arduino headers, and figured I would have to sand them down.

Dipmicro.com sells various sizes of long headers, 6, 8, 10, 20, and 40 pins: http://www.dipmicro.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=478. Lets see, quantity 1 of a 20 pin header is 0.89 (US), and standard US shipping is $3.50. They are located in Niagara Falls, Ontario, but evidently they have a courier that 2-3 times a week crosses over the border to mail US purchases from New York.

Adafruit sells the 6 and 8 pin variety, Sparkfun sells the 6, 8, and 10 pin variety.

I've have soldered stackable headers on several Teensy 3s.
I'm using 6 & 8 pin headers from dipmicro electronics.
I've had no problems with the fit either in the Teensy, or in a breadboard.
See the attached photos.
20140215_125029.jpg 20140215_125218.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back