Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Using FrequencyMeasure with 555l pulse generator

Using FrequencyMeasure with 555l pulse generator

Hi There!,

I'm very interested in using the FrequencyMeasure library to measure low frequency light waves. Up to now I just have an Adruino Uno but if the project develops I can see I would be better to get a Teensy.

To test the frequency measuring part of the project I am using a 555 timer ic pulse generator set at 100Hz approx. see circuit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7p...it?usp=sharing

I have connected the output to digital pin 8 on the uno and grounded the circuit to digital gnd on the board. The problem is that the output is not working. When I connect the signal to pin8 I get a random frequency in the results (either serial monitor or LCD) when I take the signal off the pin the value changes to another random frequency and if I touch the pins again another value is output etc.

I am just a beginner really with electronics and have little experiance with these microcontroller platforms so I would be greatful of some help and advice.

My questions are firstly:-

Can I use that circuit 'as is' to provide the signal. or is it inadequate in some way?

Should I be using the digital ground as a common ground for the external circuit?

What is likely to be the issue causing the failure to measure the frequency correctly?

my gut feeling (not very scientific) is a problem with the signal i.e. strength, waveform, voltage etc.

Cheers

Nigel
    Last edited by Bignige; 02-19-2014 at 04:50 PM.

Is that 555 circuit sending a 9V square wave into the Uno's pin? If so, that would be bad...

No, I've put a voltage divider in to bring the output to less than 5v. Measured it to around 3v . Is there a way to test the pin to make sure it hasn't been blown?

After further investigation with the help of an oscilloscope I determined that the output if the signal was the cause. For some reason the circuit us not providing a pulsed signal. By using a basic astable 555 timer circuit I got the desired square wave signal. Hooked it to the arduino with frequencymeasure running and it works fine. I just need to find out why the original circuit didn't produce pulses.

The circuit as drawn is fine. I just had a wiring mistake. So circuit and frequency measure work together on the arduino uno. Measured frequencies from 12Hz to 1200Hz in tests.

Now to plan my project!