Teensy 3.1 quality

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddv2005

Hello!

I had several Teensy 3.0 before and never had any problems. Two weeks ago I bought two Teensy 3.1 from PJRC store & OSH Park. First one (PJRC store) was DOA.
First two times I have seen one LED blink but not detected by Windows. But then it is completely died.
Second one has worked for the week but today it start working every third time and then completely died. And it was in the case and no any external contact. I spend 1 hour to check it and everything look good. Eventually I just heat the board by SMD soldering station at 200C for 1 minute...and now it works again. It is look like latest Teensy 3.1 batch have problem with quality and not properly soldered on manufacture.
Does anybody else has same problems with latest Teensy 3.1?

Best Regards,
Dmitry

As with most other products the best way to deal with this is to get in contact with the manufacturer. Directly. Per phone or email.

Reheating a Teensy or any other board to 200degrees Celsius is not going to reflow the solder joints. I am not sure this applies to DIY products such as the Teensy but new consumer devices have to be ROHS compliant meaning lead-free solder. At 200 deg Celsius you are still in the soak zone.

All Teensy boards are made with Rosh compliant lead free solder. 200C should not be enough to melt or reflow the solder.

I wish I knew what happened with this board. If you have any more issues that appear to be manufacturing defects, please email me directly, paul at pjrc dot com. I'd really like to swap it with a new one and get the bad one back here so we can look at it and share any concerns with the company we use to do the SMT soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back