Teensy 3.1 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using my Teensy 3.1 for about a month now, running bunches of Arduino sketches with few to no problems. For some reason though, this morning, when I tried to start up a sketch that worked last night, it failed to respond. So, to make sure nothing was wrong, I loaded up the basic "Blink" sketch, with led pin = 13. Once again, nothing. I tested digitalWrite for pins 14 - 23 as well, and got no response from those as well. Finally, to make sure the Arduino IDE and Teensy loader were working properly, I fired up my Teensy 2.0, which worked just fine.

One oddity though: when I set the Arduino IDE to "Teensy 2.0" and try to load to my Teensy 3.1, it throws an error like usual, so I guess the board is communicating with my computer in some capacity? When set properly to Teensy 3.1, the Arduino IDE claims to have loaded my sketch, but nothing happens...

Since I'm in a bit of a time crunch to get things working (teaching a high school electronics class based around the Teensy 3.1) , I ordered a couple replacements from the PJRC store just now, but I'm curious as to what might be wrong with my current board. Please let me know if I can provide more useful information!

Thanks!

USB power?
Externally connected things affecting I/O pins?
Long shot: I once had a USB2 cable that had too-small gauge wire. Cause bizarre intermittent problems.

If blinky won't toggle the pin for the LED on 13, I'm thinking...

Hmm... I just tried it again with another cable, and loaded the Blink example without anything attached except the header pins, but no dice!

I loaded up the basic "Blink" sketch, with led pin = 13. Once again, nothing.

The sketch code only blinks the LED, but the full program when compiled with all the libraries implements a USB device. The type of device depends on the setting in Tools > USB Type.

I didn't see a mention of which operating system you're using, so I'm going to write in Windows terminology here...

If you've got Tools > USB Type set to "Serial", after the upload completes, if you have the Windows Device Manager open, you should see a new COM port appear in the Ports section. If you have Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick selected, a few new HID devices should appear. Likewise, when you unplug the Teensy, those devices should vanish from the Device Manager list.

This could at least give you some indication if Teensy is running your program with the USB functioning properly. When the pins wouldn't respond, I do not know. It's very strange.

@stevech: Yep, definitely the right .hex file!

@Paul: Thanks for the suggestion, I tested it with the Device manager open (am using windows). The device manager would refresh when I hit the reset button on the Teensy 3.1, but no new devices appeared, with the Teensy USB type set to Serial. When I tried it with my Teensy 2.0, a new Serial device popped up immediately. I'm guessing my 3.1 isn't functioning properly with USB...

I'm guessing my 3.1 isn't functioning properly with USB...

It seems like quite a contradiction that you're able to successfully upload a sketch to the board, but then it doesn't work while running that sketch.

After uploading something, use "Help > Verbose Info", and in that window, use the Log menu so save the data to a text file. Please post that file here. If you use "Go Advanced" while composing your message, there's an option on the forum's advanced page to attach files to your message.

It seems like quite a contradiction that you're able to successfully upload a sketch to the board, but then it doesn't work while running that sketch.

After uploading something, use "Help > Verbose Info", and in that window, use the Log menu so save the data to a text file. Please post that file here. If you use "Go Advanced" while composing your message, there's an option on the forum's advanced page to attach files to your message.

Sorry about the wait- had a really busy past few days. Also, new Teensy 3.1s arrived in the mail today, so I tested them and they worked fine. Here's what happened when I tried to upload the "Blink" sketch (with ledPin = 13 of course) to my old (not working) Teensy 3.1:

First I clicked on the upload button in the Arduino IDE, which started up the Teensy Loader; when the Arduino IDE said "Done uploading.", I pressed the reboot button on the Teensy 3.1. Here's the log file from Teensy Loader:

View attachment teensy31_blink_log.txt

I've read your problem and I have the same issue, it looks like the USB part of the uC is able to comunicate (Half-key protocol is detected) but somehow, not possible to 'burn' the hex file. The transmission looks like ok, but once it is reboot, the chip is 'dead', there is no clock at the oscillator pins and it does not behave like it should. However, it is interesting, that once you force the Mini54Tan to burn the bootloader by pressing the program switch, the clock is present!

I wonder if in the end you got any conclusions about this issue...

I will try to replace the MK20 since I am using a custom board with the pre-programmed Mini54Tan and, some days ago it was working with no problems! ( I think that the MK20 core is dead...)

Any ideas or similar problems?

The chip was used several times, I was validating the hardware so, I think a possible power supply failure could damage the MK20... It wasnt programmed that much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back