Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Possible project add-on The energyShield

Possible project add-on The energyShield

Thought this would be an interesting Add-on for prototyping/finalizing a project. I backed it, just think that Teensy Community should have a look see.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ino-creativity

Well, it is great for the Arduino infrastructure, it isn't as ideal for the Teensy 3.x. Don't get me wrong, it can probably be used for Teensy's, but having the Arduino shield and form factor would be somewhat awkward for Teensy's.

With Teensy 3.x, it would involve multiple voltage regulators, unless they reach the $15,000 level, since the unit would boost the power from the 3.7v lipo battery to 5v for the Arduino. Then you plug this into the VIN line on the teensy which needs to regulate the power back down to 3.3v. If you don't need 5v (i.e. no neopixels for instance), you can feed the lipo directly into the Teensy, or at least regulate it directly to 3.3v. This would avoid some of the loss of energy wasted by boosting the voltage up to 5v, and then bringing back down to 3.3v.

One of the things they do is combine the battery fuel gauge and charging circuits. Usually when I've been looking around, you either have the fuel gauge or the charger support, but not both at the same time.
    Last edited by MichaelMeissner; 02-28-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReonBalisty View Post
    Thought this would be an interesting Add-on for prototyping/finalizing a project. I backed it, just think that Teensy Community should have a look see.
    I have backed this one, as well.

8-Dale