Teensy 3.1 and BLE Mini

Status
Not open for further replies.

krellmusician

I'm interested in using the Teensy 3.1 with the BLE Mini board from RedBearLabs:

http://redbearlab.com/blemini/

Has anyone had any experience with these two boards? Do they work together, or can they be convinced to work together? Are any special libraries needed or missing?

Thanks for your time.

Interesting, I just ordered two to play with after reading the Quick Start for Android section. They are using the arduino to test their work, but I'm confident that we can get that arduino library to act right in the teensyduino environment. I'll keep the forum posted. ;)

It looks like a TI cc2541 running firmware to act as a BLE-UART bridge. If you want to, you should be able to send data out on any of the Teensy's serial ports, and get that data to show up to all the BLE devices that are listening. So in theory things should work, but they warn that libraries and firmware are in beta.

I tried to geth it to work , but with no mutch result . the Ble_uart should be used with the softserial on the teensy 3.1 .

I purchased the Blend Micro from RedBearLabs. While it is a very nice device, support questions are answered at a low level; even support from Nordic in regards to the bluetooth nRF8001 is very slow & extremely patchy.
You should get better support from Texas Instruments (CC2540), I would hope.
It is a shame, as the RedBearLab products are very nice; but the community is very small. There are quite a few Github libraries & code examples, but the documentation is patchy too.

If any of you guys have any success, I think I may get the BLE mini (with Texas Instruments CC2540 Bluetooth) to use with Teensy 3.1, for a Bluetooth HID mouse project.

Which library are you using? Are you using the BLE_HCI?
Allows external systems or MCUs to control BLE chip (CC2540) using Bluetooth HCI mode such as Windows/Linux/Mac, Arduino (AVR), Teensy 3.0 (ARM Cortex-M4), Respberry Pi (ARM11), etc.

Last edited:
Hi,

I just purchased a BLEMini and am working on getting it it working with the Teensy 3.1 right now.

I got the BLEMini working with my Arduino Uno (using the example sketch and Android app) but I'm not having much luck with the Teensy 3.1.

The first problem is that the sketch can't find the Teensy 3.1 #define in Boards.h so you have to add it yourself. As the Teensy 3.1 has the same pinout as the 3.0 you can just copy/paste the 3.0 section but change the define name from "__MK20DX128__" to "__MK20DX256__" and then the sketch uploads (I'm new to all this so I have no idea if this is the correct thing to do, but it does get rid of the error).

I then tried running the Android app, the app can see the BLEMini (called 'Biscuit') but I can't connect to it.

Is there anything I need to do to the RXTX pins to make the RXTX pins? (Because my Arduino Uno seems to have dedicated RXTX pins and the ones on the Teensy are Digital IOs).

I tried using pins 0/1 and pins 9/10 so far.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time.

Hi,
I am also stuck with the same issueBLE Mini. If there is any success on this, please let know.

Got the chat application to work in one way....

Thank you, will wait for the update.

Hi,
I made the changes in the Android App code for detection of BLE device and recompiled it. This application can broadcast proper information to Teensy 3.1 and I see it on Serial Monitor.

Will post update here for the community as I make progress.
Thanks for help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back