Help for a project involving Teensy and Beaglebone

Status
Not open for further replies.

deelaleo

Hi all

I have a BB and a BBB and I would like to use one of these for a project, in conduction with the Teensy.

Basically I have various analog sensors; which records data; that I would like to hook up to the Teensy.

Then I would like to hook up the teensy to the BB or BBB, so I can grab the data and process it directly on the Beagle (so I save the hassle to have error compensation and such things on either the teensy or the computer); eventually this data goes to a computer, where I store it, calculate various metrics and eventually display the data in a graphical format.

The idea is a real time sensor device that is able to communicate with a computer (still thinking if it should be wireless or wired via USB), to display the data in a graphical way.

Now the questions:

1) Which Teensy should I get? I was thinking to get the 3.1, since has a ton of Analog I/O

2) How do I connect the Teensy to the BeagleBone? SPI? USB? Digital I/O?

I am planning to order soon the Teensy, I already have the sensors and Beagle boards.

Thanks!

Thanks Paul.

So do I connect it via USB to the BB, but how can I drive it?

I am just starting with these kind of projects; so I am not that expert :)

So do I connect it via USB to the BB, but how can I drive it?

The same as you would from any PC running Linux.

You'd first program the Teensy using a regular PC running Arduino. Choose the USB function you want from Tools > USB Type. For example, if you use Serial, your Teensy will appear as a /dev/ttyACM* serial port.

It's fairly simple to develop your Linux-based program on your PC. Then compile it on the Beaglebone after it's working. Or you can develop it on the Beaglebone if you really like, but regular PCs are so much faster that it's easier to get most of it working on a PC first.

Ok, so basically I put the sketch on the teensy first; then I can choose if I want to have the Teensy to be, when I hook it up to a usb port? That's awesome.

I thought that I need to write this in code, and once rebooted the device would be recognized as HID or other serial connection device. First time that I do this; I just played a bit with the BB, but never with Arduino or Teensy :)

I have Eclipse configured to cross platform compiling for the BB; so I will probably use that. My main concern was only for the communication among the 2, since the Teensy do not have enough power to do calculations; otherwise I could even skip the BB.

I shall receive my Teensy in a couple of days; will post my findings once I start to play with it :) Thanks!

Basically gather the data from each sensor (4 accelerometer, 1 accellerometer+gyro for the root of the object, 4 temperature sensor and 1 pressure sensor); and using the root gyro, calculate the position of the other accelerometers, which are attached to independently movable parts (the whole contraption needs to go on a machine, to measure the position of its parts, temperature and pressure; imagine something like an engine, where each piston moves independently but they are all connected to the main engine block).

Once I have the position and movement data for each of the accelerometer, I will have to create a 3d representation, that show the movement, and using different colors, will represent temperature and pressure.

Sounds a bit too much for a Teensy, especially the last part. I am using bogus data to simulate the sensors now, and I just started to write the code on the BB....it may be possible that I will have to do the 3d part on the computer directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back