Forum Search confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsnyman

Just a note, the search function on these forums don't seem to work properly unless i am doing something wrong. I have searched for a few subjects like I2C and SPI but found nothing so i just accepted that has not been discussed. Then i was reading a recent post on FFT and decided to search for more FFT posts. the search function does not even find the post i was reading, although FFT is in the subject line.

Am I mistaken?

"Sorry, no matches" - nup, looks like you are right enough to query this - 'fft' on its own into the search box at top right of forum should get all sorts of hits here.

if you use google like this:

site:pjrc.com fft

There are heaps of hits: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=site:pjrc.com+fft - plenty in the forums; to search the forum alone you can make it site:forum.pjrc.com

(link looks broken by emoticon but it works in preview so...)

Yup, use google. vBulletin's search isn't great, even when it "works".

By default, vBulletin doesn't allow shorter than 4 letter word indexing. Apparently it puts more load on the server. We had it enabled for a while while running version 4.2.0. Unfortunately, the vBulletin upgrade from 4.2.0 -> 4.2.2, which was needed for security fixes, broke a few things. One of them was 3 letter searches, which are enabled but aren't working. It's a problem so low on my priority list that it's unlikely to ever get fixed.

However, slightly higher on my list is figuring out how to edit the forum templates to customize the text. My main goal is putting the posting guidelines right above the box where people type their message to start a new thread. Maybe the search page should link to a google search?

Many different forum search boxes, apparently including this one, will not return results on words of 3 letters or less. Maybe because they think that would return too many hits (?) But Google manages to do it for the entire web, so go figure...

EDIT: I see Paul just replied. Seems logical that the search box would simply forward <search> to Google as <search> site:forum.pjrc.com

Last edited:
I used to be fairly adept at PHP & javascript - any chance of putting the forum's copy of vbulletin on github? :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back