WS2811 project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m working on a large WS2811 LED pixel strip array for an art installation. At the moment I’m working on the prototype (1000 leds at 3cm pitch on a frame 150cm in length with 20 rows of LEDS).

I’ve had 9 rows wired up and have been connecting power and ground at either end of the 1.5m strips. The problem is that leaves me with about 13 wires going into each tab on my power supply (I’m using a ray wu supplied one similar to that shown in the OctoWS2811 write up with three -ve and three +ve screw tabs) and it’s getting a bit unwieldy.

The digital lines for the strips are daisy chained in groups of 3 and I’m thinking of doing the same for the power to cut down on the number of wires going into the tabs.

Does this sound wise? Will the power line sag in the middle of a 4.5m run?

I’m going to suck it and see but any advice about connecting large numbers of wires to tabs would be gratefully received. I can't help but wonder if I should break the psu lines out on to lugs. Also is there any point in putting fuses in between the psu and the pixel strip?

The final piece will use 4000 leds and I'm unsure what to do about inrush protection.

Last edited:
You could perhaps create a power rail with terminal blocks ?
terminal-block-4-pin-euro-style.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back