Noob question: converting Teensy++ 2.0 to 3.3v

Zazza

I've got a Teensy++ 2.0 and wanted to convert to 3.3v using the voltage regulator.

This is a picture of the back side of my board. If this is the right position for the voltage regulator:

CAM00181.jpg

Where should I cut the 5v trace? Between the 5V pads where I've soldered the regulator?
And what about the 3v pads? Should I short the two regulator pins?

Waiting for your kind reply...

Thanks.

Hi Hexodin and thanks for your answer.
Before posting here, I've already took a look at that guide but unfortunately MY board (at least, its back side) is not similar to the Teensy 2.0 one on the website.

This is what the board looks like with the regulator desoldered:

CAM00184.jpg

As you can see, the pads layout is different: I could cut the bridge between the two 5V pads and short the other one but then I wouldn't have space for the regulator.

BTW, I did not buy this board myself.

Any guess?
Thanks...

Like Robin said, this a "pirate" Teensy ++ 2.0 board, but to help you, I think you soldered the voltage regulator in the wrong pads...

You've to solder the part in the first set o 3 pads:
counterfeit.png

After this procedure, you've to cut the trace indicate by the arrow and link the the two pads indicated by the line:
counterfeit2.png

But this is a counterfeit board, so we can't guaratee this procedure will work. I recomend you to negativate this seller, open a dispute and try to get your money back.

Last edited:
Those Teensy 2 knock-offs use an SOT-89 package 3.3v 500mA regulator (HT7833)

https://www.holtek.com.tw/documents/10179/82844a36-1633-498c-a6e3-4d99f2d0f6d7

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832626329655.html

You can install the regular Arduino bootloader on the 2.0 non ++ version as well as they are not locked. Maybe a similar process for the ++ but you would have to find the right bootloader for it.

The 2.0 process is like this:

Install the Sparkfun-Boards in the Board manager, then Select "Pro Micro" and then set "Processor" to 3.3V, 8MHz.

Burn Bootloader via SPI.

Back