Teensy 3.1 and Audio Board - No sound, no SD function

Status
Not open for further replies.

syso2342

I just got my Teensy 3.1 and the Audio Addon and soldered them
and added headers. Attached it, so the USB Connector of the
teensy is on the same side as the headphones output.
(The teensy is facing up with the chip to the audio board,
while the audio board is facing up with the chips.

There is no sound coming out of the headphone jack and also the SD card cannot
be initialized.

Also there are 3.3V on the POT 3.3V present. I have also bridged
the POT (middle) pin to 3.3V to see if anything comes out if the volume pot == VDD, but nothing happens.

Any idea?

I tried the sd speed test sketch, dtmf tone sketch, sweep sketch and the tones sketch.
Speakers were connected to the 3,5mm jack on the board.

and what error do you get?
There's 3 volt on the board (have you measured that?), so that should work. And the teensy itself runs and puts out serial debugging?
The POT is just a passthrough to teensy adc, so that doesn't matter anyhow..

SD card initialization failed. And also no sound from the DAC itself on the headphone output. Yes, the teensy
outputs serial debug info. I can verify that the 3.3V are present.

By the way - unrelated to the issue: if i compile some other non-working sketches:
PlayMidiTones:13: error: 'AudioWaveformSine' was not declared in this scope
PlayMidiTones:14: error: 'AudioWaveformTriangle' was not declared in this scope
PlayMidiTones:15: error: 'AudioWaveformSquare' was not declared in this scope
PlayMidiTones:16: error: 'AudioWaveformSawtooth' was not declared in this scope
PlayMidiTones:17: error: 'AudioWaveformSine' was not declared in this scope
PlayMidiTones:18: error: 'AudioWaveformTriangle' was not declared in this scope
PlayMidiTones:19: error: 'AudioWaveformSquare' was not declared in this scope
PlayMidiTones:20: error: 'AudioWaveformSawtooth' was not declared in this scope

Last edited:
mmh.. strange.. My last guess is to check if you're using the proper Arduino version with Teensyduino.

Just to verify that I am not doing something stupid: I connect my speakers to the 3,5mm connector on the audio board and run the sketch. The 3.3V is also supplied from the Teensy 3.1 (via USB).

Just to verify that I am not doing something stupid: I connect my speakers to the 3,5mm connector on the audio board and run the sketch. The 3.3V is also supplied from the Teensy 3.1 (via USB).
so its just the teensy with headers and audio connected to it?
Then maybe check if you weren't too prudent with the solder, my guess is, that both sides need to make contact with the pins, resoldering is way to go then.. its difficult to check the connections, its quite small in teensy land...

That would be surprising but possible. I been using Pb-Tin and this is not my first soldering work ;) But I will check later. I have also a logic analyzer, which might become handy to take a look at the I2C / SPI / I2S communication later.

I'd recommend trying the PlayFromSketch example. It plays sound effects when you press any of 6 buttons, so you'll need to connect at least one button. Or you could just connect a wire to GND and tap it to those pins to trigger the sound playing.

PlayFromSketch sends audio to both the I2S and DAC, so if you're not getting audio output from the headphones, you can "listen" to the DAC pin through a 10 uF capacitor to the line-in of amplified computer speakers or a stereo.

Thank you. I will try it asap. Also this came to my mind: My teensy 3.1 is running at 96 MHz - can this be a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back