ADC library, with support for Teensy 4, 3.x, and LC

I have a 22 uF and 0.1 uF cap on the VBAT line & can't easily add a cap on the A1 input in this version (maybe next one); what resistance value (current) would you recommend for the ADC? 10K? 1K?

I have a 22 uF and 0.1 uF cap on the VBAT line & can't easily add a cap on the A1 input in this version (maybe next one); what resistance value (current) would you recommend for the ADC? 10K? 1K?

Since its a lipo I would try a 10K/10K divider to keep usage down. If you can add the cap in later you can probably get away with the 100K/100K divider (possibly).

I built up another couple of Teensy flight controllers and used 4K7/4K7 for the voltage divider and now I am getting very stable readings. I have two LiPo batteries, one I measure at 3.78 and the other at 4.18 V with a voltmeter. The Teensy sees 3.84 and 4.24 V, respectively, and this is independent of the slow or fast sample rate and 4x or 8x averaging, etc, just what I expect. The reading is very stable, doesn't change by more that a hundredth of a volt from reading to reading.

With the battery removed I am reading 30 mV, not sure why the offset but it accounts for half of the overage. I measure 3.31 V on the 3V3 spigot so the 3.3 V conversion factor is about right. I could subtract the zero bias and get to 1% error and, of course, I can scale by 0.98 or 0.99 and get to essentially zero percent error if I care to. But 1-2% is great for a simple battery voltage monitor in a robotic application.

Yes, good point. I went to the trouble to include the analog section in my design but forgot to actually use it when needed! I'll fix this on the next board rev, although i can live with a 30 mV offset.

If you can add the cap in later you can probably get away with the 100K/100K divider (possibly).

If you use a 100 nF ceramic capacitor in parallel with the bottom 100 kOhm resistor, and a top 100 kOhm resistor, and only read a few times a second, I would expect it would work fine based on other experience.
The time constant on that circuit is only 10 milliseconds, and 100 nF should be sufficient to fill an ADC input stage without noticeable voltage drop. (If you really care about >10 bits, use a 1 uF capacitor.)

I'd also recommend 1% or better resistors to minimize errors. (And the more precise, the better, of course.) Also: what makes you think that your volt meter is the correct value here? :)

4K7 vs 100K is a difference of 0.45 mA leakage versus 21 uA leakage.

4K7 vs 100K is a difference of 0.45 mA leakage versus 21 uA leakage.

which is, of course, why I chose a 100 K resistor all in the first place. I'll try the 100 - 1000 nF cap solution on the next iteration. For quadcopters the difference in current drain is not significant. For other applications, we are struggling to eliminate all sources of extraneous power draw.

My first priority was just getting a sensible result. Now I will try to get a sensible result at a sensible power loss...

Are you're using digital ground or analog ground? That might explain the 30 mV offset.

So which ground should be used to avoid that 30mV offset?

==

I have another question though. I noticed that every time I upload a new hex (Teensy 3.1), there is a small offset in ADC voltage readings.

I'm using some current sensors (LEM, 200A) and I have calibrated them once (to display "0" when there's no current passing through). Anyway, each time Teensy restarts I've got a variable (small) offset (sometimes is "0" again, as intended).

I've read that there's a calibration procedure regarding the ADC but (as @Pedvide did mention in his library) it is fired up at every start-up or when you change the ADC resolution.

Is there a way to better calibrate the ADC at start-up? Is there any parameters involved?

So which ground should be used to avoid that 30mV offset?

==

I have another question though. I noticed that every time I upload a new hex (Teensy 3.1), there is a small offset in ADC voltage readings.

I'm using some current sensors (LEM, 200A) and I have calibrated them once (to display "0" when there's no current passing through). Anyway, each time Teensy restarts I've got a variable (small) offset (sometimes is "0" again, as intended).

I've read that there's a calibration procedure regarding the ADC but (as @Pedvide did mention in his library) it is fired up at every start-up or when you change the ADC resolution.

Is there a way to better calibrate the ADC at start-up? Is there any parameters involved?

What I do (learned from work) is when my motor is not enabled(normally at startup) I sample the LEM and average the values over time to set zero. I use the +/- 400A version that sits around 2.5V at 0A but it will vary based on temperature and voltage supplied. This way zero is self calibrated every time.

I'm monitoring a battery bank current (feeding a power inverter) thus there's no "stand-by" operation available to make the calibration. But I'm also monitoring some PV panels and that's how I noticed the offset (during night time, their output current is zero).

I don't think it's a sensor problem, as I only restart Teensy (after a hex uploading, usually) and the ADC readings already have an offset upon start-up. The readings are very accurate (and stable) but I just don't like to see I have some PV output from the moon light. ;)

Btw, I'm using LEM HTFS 200-P (+/-300A) but I'm using a loop to measure twice the operating current.

You should use analog ground AGND.
The calibration is performed at startup and when the reference is changed.
You can use adcX->recalibrate() to calibrate at any point if the conditions have changed significantly. I imagine that cycles of day and night are enough to produce a small error.
That function can take a while to finish, so you can also call calibrate and check that it's done with wait_for_cal.

You should use analog ground AGND.

Thanks, I'm using analog ground, indeed.

The calibration is performed at startup and when the reference is changed.
You can use adcX->recalibrate() to calibrate at any point if the conditions have changed significantly. I imagine that cycles of day and night are enough to produce a small error.
That function can take a while to finish, so you can also call calibrate and check that it's done with wait_for_cal.

Actually, if I upload a new hex every two minutes (during tests) I got different offset at every restart. Sometimes, I have to rewrite the same hex to get a more "convenient" offset (zero). Is there a way to tweak the calibration procedure (at start-up)?

Agreed with Pedvide on AGND being yours best bet.

Could outside noise be disturbing the calibration? Are you sourcing any current from the Teensy to outside components or on top of a switching power supply?

edit..
Are you directly connected to the LEM or passing it threw another circuit first?

What I use in conjunction with a LEM HAL-400s.
Current measurement and Hardware Over-current, so far I get readings on my breadboard setup within 0.5%
Current and OC monitor.JPG

Last edited:
The measurements are OK. So I have a steady output (constant current); nothing else changed but Teensy restarts (due to hex uploading). Right after restart, the readings (still steady) have a small offset. I might be "lucky" and get the same output. Anyway, after further restarts (uploading the same hex) I got variable offset.

Actually, the offset is quite small (1-2 LSB) but it's always there and constant.

By example, the ADC reads "0 Watt" for half an hour. After uploading a hex (thus restarting the Teensy) it keeps reading "3 W" or "-4 W" or even "0 W" (the value seems randomly chosen).

The displayed power ("0 W", "-4 W") is computed by multiplying the sensor current times battery voltage.

I'm not using any conditioning circuit as the sensors have 0-5V output range (I'm only using a resistive voltage divider to get 0-3.3V) but once again, the measurements are quite accurate.

Hello Members, I do have a problem. I'm using the Teensy 3.2 and want to use the analog differential inputs. I used the library which Pedvide wrote. In the example of "synchronizedMeasurements" I only changed two things.
First one :
//adc->startSynchronizedContinuous(readPin, readPin2);
adc->startSynchronizedContinuousDifferential(A10, A11, A12, A13);
Second one:
result = adc->analogSynchronizedReadDifferential(A10, A11, A12, A13);
//result = adc->readSynchronizedContinuous();

When I start the program the measurements are going crazy. They are switching between 0 and 65535. It starts when I reach about 25V.

Example of the measurements:

103231701 0 8
103231734 65535 8
103231774 0 8
103231810 65535 9
103231846 0 9
103231882 65535 9
103231920 65535 10

Can someone help me?

25 V?? I hope that's a typo!!
Teensy pure analog inputs are rated to 3.3 V maximum!
In any case, post the complete source code.

Aww, I forgot to tell you, that my Teensy is connected to a PowerMeter Board. The Teensy is only getting digital signals and switch them to analog.
I allready got some help and its working as wished.

Thanks anyway

Hello Members, again I have a problem. I want to use the Pin 9 as a starting point for the measurements. Because my Pin 9 is detecting, when the zero point is crossed. I tried to expand the "if(c=='c') " so, the measurements will start, when "c" is pushed and the zero line is crossed. My input is AC , so there are negative and positive outputs.
It would be a great help.

Code:
#include <ADC.h>
#include <TimerOne.h>

ADC *adc = new ADC(); // adc object
ADC::Sync_result result;

const int measurements = 125;

const int iOffset = +0;
const int uOffset = +3;

volatile int uMeas[125]={0};
volatile int iMeas[125]={0};
volatile int pointer =0;

int start_pin = 9;
int t;
float inst_power;
float sum_inst_power;
float real_power;
float inst_voltage;
float square_voltage;
float sum_square_voltage;
float mean_square_voltage;
float root_mean_square_voltage;
float inst_current;
float square_current;
float sum_square_current;
float mean_square_current;
float root_mean_square_current;
float apparent_power;
float power_factor;

char c=0;

void setup() 
  {
  //pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(start_pin, INPUT);

pinMode(A10, INPUT); //Diff Channel 0 Positive
  pinMode(A11, INPUT); //Diff Channel 0 Negative

pinMode(A12, INPUT); //Diff Channel 1 Positive
  pinMode(A13, INPUT); //Diff Channel 1 Negative

//Timer1  triggers every 800µs function measure()
  Timer1.initialize(800);
  Timer1.attachInterrupt(measure);

Serial.begin(57600);

///// ADC0 ////
  // reference can be ADC_REF_3V3, ADC_REF_1V2 (not for Teensy LC) or ADC_REF_EXT.
  //adc->setReference(ADC_REF_1V2, ADC_0); // change all 3.3 to 1.2 if you change the reference to 1V2

adc->setAveraging(1); // set number of averages
  adc->setResolution(14); // set bits of resolution
  //Set the speed (ADC_VERY_LOW_SPEED, ADC_LOW_SPEED, ADC_MED_SPEED, ADC_HIGH_SPEED_16BITS, ADC_HIGH_SPEED or ADC_VERY_HIGH_SPEED)
  adc->setConversionSpeed(ADC_MED_SPEED); // change the conversion speed
  adc->setSamplingSpeed(ADC_MED_SPEED); // change the sampling speed

////// ADC1 /////
  adc->setAveraging(1, ADC_1); // set number of averages
  adc->setResolution(14, ADC_1); // set bits of resolution
  adc->setConversionSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED, ADC_1); // change the conversion speed
  adc->setSamplingSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED, ADC_1); // change the sampling speed

adc->startSynchronizedContinuousDifferential(A10, A11, A12, A13);

delay(100);

}

//Voltage factor: Berechnungsvorschrift
float voltage_factor = (440075.0/75.0)*(3.3/(65535.0*8.0));  // ((Spannungsteiler "R14,15,16")/R16)*3.3V "Teensy" / 2^16*Gain "von AMC1100"

//Current factor: 
float current_factor = 1/8.0*10.0*0.001; //1/Gain "AMC1100"*10 "Jumper Verst."*SpTeiler "R1,R38,R39"
//float current_factor = 1;

void loop() 
  {
   //Werte auf 0 gesetzt
  sum_inst_power = 0.0;
  sum_square_voltage = 0.0;
  sum_square_current = 0.0;

for (t=0;t<measurements;t++)  //Spannungswerte in array eingelesen
        {
        //Offset dazu addiert
        iMeas[t]=(iMeas[t]+iOffset); 
        uMeas[t]=(uMeas[t]+uOffset);

//Werte um Faktor multipliziert
        inst_current = iMeas[t]*current_factor;
        inst_voltage =  uMeas[t]*voltage_factor;

//Leistungsberechnung
        inst_power=inst_voltage*inst_current; //mom. Leistung = mom. Sp * mom. Str
        sum_inst_power = sum_inst_power + inst_power;   //Summe mom. Leistung

//Stromberechnung
        square_current = inst_current*inst_current;   //quadr. Str = (mom. Str)^2
        sum_square_current += square_current;   //Summe aus quadr. Str

//Spannungsberechnung
        square_voltage = inst_voltage*inst_voltage;   //quadr. Sp = (mom. Sp*mom. Sp)
        sum_square_voltage += square_voltage;   //Summe aus quadr. Sp

real_power = sum_inst_power/measurements;    //tats. Leistung = Summe mom. Leistung / Anzahl Messwerte

mean_square_current = sum_square_current/measurements; //mittlere quadr. Str = Summe quadr. Str / Anzahl Messwerte
        root_mean_square_current = sqrt(mean_square_current); //Strom RMS

mean_square_voltage = sum_square_voltage/measurements; //mittlere quadr. Sp = Summe quadr. Sp / Anzahl Messwerte
        root_mean_square_voltage = sqrt(mean_square_voltage); //Spannung RMS

apparent_power = root_mean_square_voltage * root_mean_square_current;   //Scheinleistung

power_factor = (float) real_power/apparent_power; //Leistungsfaktor = tats. Leistung / Scheinleistung           
        }

if (Serial.available()) 
    {
    c = Serial.read();
    if(c=='c') // sobald "c" gedrückt wird
      {
      noInterrupts(); //Timer(800µs) Anfang 
      Serial.print("Pointer:  ");
      Serial.println(pointer);
      for (int i=0; i< measurements; i++)
        {

inst_current = iMeas[i]*current_factor;  
        inst_voltage = uMeas[i]*voltage_factor;

//Ausgabe von Werten  
        /*  
        Serial.print(iMeas[i]); Serial.println(", "); 
        Serial.print(uMeas[i]); Serial.println(", "); 
        */

/*
        Serial.print(iMeas[i]);
        Serial.print(", ");
        Serial.println(uMeas[i]);
        */

//Serial.print(" Strom: ");
        Serial.print(inst_current, 4);
        //Serial.print(" A ");
        Serial.print(" , ");
        //Serial.print("Spannung: ");
        Serial.println(inst_voltage, 12);
        //Serial.println(" V ");

/*
        Serial.println(inst_power);
        Serial.println(sum_inst_power);
        */

/*
        Serial.print("Power: ");
        Serial.println(inst_power);
        */          

/*
        Serial.print(" A Factor ");
        Serial.println(current_factor, 12);
        Serial.print("V Factor: ");
        Serial.print(voltage_factor, 12);
        */

/*
        Serial.print("Mean square current: ");
        Serial.println(mean_square_current);
        Serial.print("Mean square voltage: ");
        Serial.println(mean_square_voltage);

*/

} //for-Schleife Ende

Serial.print("I RMS: ");
      Serial.println(root_mean_square_current, 6);
      Serial.print("U RMS: ");
      Serial.println(root_mean_square_voltage, 4);
      Serial.print("Real power: ");
      Serial.println(real_power);
      Serial.print("Apparent power: "); 
      Serial.println(apparent_power);
      Serial.print("Power factor: ");
      Serial.println(power_factor);
      Serial.println(" ");

interrupts();     //Timer ende

}  //if(c=='c')-Befehl Ende
      else
      {
        Serial.println("Kein Strom");
      }

} //if(Serial.available)-Befehl Ende

} //loop Ende

void measure ()
    {
    result=adc->analogSyncReadDifferential(A10, A11, A12, A13);

iMeas[pointer] = (int)result.result_adc0;
    uMeas[pointer] = (int)result.result_adc1;
    //uMeas[pointer] = adc->analogReadDifferential(A10, A11, ADC_0); // read a new value, will return ADC_ERROR_VALUE if the comparison is false.
    //iMeas[pointer] = adc->analogReadDifferential(A12, A13, ADC_1);
    pointer++;

if (pointer >= measurements) 
      {
      pointer = 0;
      }
    }

So I'm being silly here...

If I do this...

Code:
ADC::Sync_result result = adc->analogSyncRead(A2, A3);
in = result.result_adc0;
analogWrite(A14, in);

The values are right — but they seem to wrap around. Is it because it returns a uint32? I'm not getting it.

ADC::Sync_result returns int32_t, not uint32_t:
Code:
struct Sync_result{
            int32_t result_adc0, result_adc1;
        };

Also, the actual ADC values are int16_t, so the upper half of each result_adcX is zero.

The behavior of your code will depend on how you defined the variable "in", and the signature of analogWrite (and what it does inside).

ADC::Sync_result returns int32_t, not uint32_t:
Code:
struct Sync_result{
            int32_t result_adc0, result_adc1;
        };

Also, the actual ADC values are int16_t, so the upper half of each result_adcX is zero.

The behavior of your code will depend on how you defined the variable "in", and the signature of analogWrite (and what it does inside).

Thanks!

I've set it up like this:

Code:
  adc->setReference(ADC_REF_3V3, ADC_0);
  adc->setReference(ADC_REF_3V3, ADC_1);

adc->setResolution(16, ADC_0);
  adc->setResolution(16, ADC_1);

adc->setSamplingSpeed(ADC_VERY_HIGH_SPEED);
  adc->setConversionSpeed(ADC_VERY_HIGH_SPEED);

And I had set up my "in" variable as an int32_t.

What I ended up with were values going up to about half way then going to zero.

(for some reason the serial on my Teensy is playing up so I could only observe on the scope —*I output the 16 bit value back out the DAC — which was set to 16 bits etc)

New user here. Is the ADC module verified for the Teensy 3.2?

Update: Looks like everything works. The module is nicely organized and easy to use. Thanks!

Last edited:
solo and synchronized reads

Hello -

Newbie here. I have a project where I'd like to simultaneously sample two separate voltage sources. In testing, I ran across two things that I have not been able to understand.

Teensy 3.2, Arduino 1.6.9 and Teenyduino 1.29-beta2. I've reduced circuit and code to barebones for testing.

Teensy is USB powered. A single AA battery positive is connected to pins A10,A12 and negative to pins A11,A13.

Code:
#include <ADC.h>
#include <ADC_Module.h>
#include <RingBuffer.h>
#include <RingBufferDMA.h>

float Vref = 3.31;       // ADC ref from Vin
float Vain = 1.36;       // ADC input voltage
float ADCmax = 65535;
float ADCexpected = ADCmax *(Vain/Vref);
ADC *adc = new ADC();    //create adc object     
ADC::Sync_result result; // result struct for synchronous ADC ops
const int LED1 = 13;     // LED on digital pin 13
int32_t x0=0, x1=0;

void setup() {
      pinMode(LED1,OUTPUT);
      pinMode(A10, INPUT); //ADC_0 Diff Channel 0 Positive
      pinMode(A11, INPUT); //ADC_0 Diff Channel 0 Negative
      pinMode(A12, INPUT); //ADC_1 Diff Channel 1 Positive
      pinMode(A13, INPUT); //ADC_1 Diff Channel 1 Negative

///// ADC0 ////
    // reference can be ADC_REF_3V3, ADC_REF_1V2 (not for Teensy LC) or ADC_REF_EXT.
    //adc->setReference(ADC_REF_1V2, ADC_0); // change all 3.3 to 1.2 if you change the reference to 1V2

//adc->setAveraging(1); // set number of averages
    //adc->setResolution(13); // set bits of resolution

// it can be ADC_VERY_LOW_SPEED, ADC_LOW_SPEED, ADC_MED_SPEED, ADC_HIGH_SPEED_16BITS, ADC_HIGH_SPEED or ADC_VERY_HIGH_SPEED
    // see the documentation for more information
    //adc->setConversionSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED); // change the conversion speed
    // it can be ADC_VERY_LOW_SPEED, ADC_LOW_SPEED, ADC_MED_SPEED, ADC_HIGH_SPEED or ADC_VERY_HIGH_SPEED or ADC_HIGH_SPEED_16BITS
    //adc->setSamplingSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED); // change the sampling speed

// PGA, use only for signals lower than 1.2 V. Activate the 1.2V reference (ADC_REF_1V2)
    // the gain can be 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64
    //adc->enablePGA(1, ADC_0);

adc->setReference(ADC_REF_3V3, ADC_0);
    adc->setAveraging(16, ADC_0);   //0,4,8,16 or 32
    adc->setResolution(16, ADC_0);  //8,12 or 16 
    adc->setSamplingSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED_16BITS, ADC_0);
    adc->setConversionSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED_16BITS, ADC_0);

// always call the compare functions after changing the resolution!
    // Compare values at 16 bits differential resolution are twice what you write!
    //adc->enableCompare(1.0/3.3*adc->getMaxValue(ADC_0), 0, ADC_0); // measurement will be ready if value < 1.0V
    //adc->enableCompareRange(-1.0*adc->getMaxValue(ADC_0)/3.3, 2.0*adc->getMaxValue(ADC_0)/3.3, 0, 1, ADC_0); // ready if value lies out of [-1.0,2.0] V

////// ADC1 /////
    adc->setReference(ADC_REF_3V3, ADC_1);
    //adc->enablePGA(1, ADC_1);
    adc->setAveraging(16, ADC_1); // set number of averages
    adc->setResolution(16, ADC_1); // set bits of resolution
    adc->setSamplingSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED_16BITS, ADC_1); // change the sampling speed
    adc->setConversionSpeed(ADC_HIGH_SPEED_16BITS, ADC_1); // change the conversion speed

// always call the compare functions after changing the resolution!
    //adc->enableCompare(1.0/3.3*adc->getMaxValue(ADC_1), 0, ADC_1); // measurement will be ready if value < 1.0V
    //adc->enableCompareRange(-1.0*adc->getMaxValue(ADC_1)/3.3, 2.0*adc->getMaxValue(ADC_1)/3.3, 0, 1, ADC_1); // ready if value lies out of [-1.0,2.0] V

// You can also try:
    //adc->startSynchronizedContinuous(readPin, readPin2);
    // adc->startSynchronizedContinuousDifferential(A10, A11, A12, A13);
    // Read the values in the loop() with readSynchronizedContinuous()

Serial.begin(115200);
      delay(10000);
      Serial.print("Expected ADC count is somewhere around "); Serial.println(ADCexpected,0);
}

void loop() {

Serial.println("\nCalling analogReadDifferential(...)");
      x0 = adc->analogReadDifferential(A10, A11, ADC_0); // read a new value, will return ADC_ERROR_VALUE if the comparison is false.
      x1 = adc->analogReadDifferential(A12, A13, ADC_1); // read a new value, will return ADC_ERROR_VALUE if the comparison is false.
      Serial.print("ADC_0 count: "); Serial.print(x0); Serial.print("  Diff: "); Serial.println(ADCexpected - x0);
      Serial.print("ADC_1 count: "); Serial.print(x1); Serial.print("  Diff: "); Serial.println(ADCexpected - x1);
      delay(2000);

Serial.println("\nCalling analogSynchronizedReadDifferential(...)");
      result = adc->analogSynchronizedReadDifferential(A10, A11, A12, A13);
      // if using 16 bits and single-ended is necessary to typecast to unsigned,
      // otherwise values larger than 3.3/2 will be interpreted as negative
      //result.result_adc0 = (uint16_t)result.result_adc0;
      //result.result_adc1 = (uint16_t)result.result_adc1;
      x0 = result.result_adc0;
      x1 = result.result_adc1;
      Serial.print("ADC_0 count: "); Serial.print(x0); Serial.print("  Diff: "); Serial.println(ADCexpected - x0);
      Serial.print("ADC_1 count: "); Serial.print(x1); Serial.print("  Diff: "); Serial.println(ADCexpected - x1);
      delay(2000);

}

Here's the output
Code:
Expected ADC count is somewhere around 26927

Calling analogReadDifferential(...)
ADC_0 count: 26954  Diff: -27.23
ADC_1 count: -26974  Diff: 53900.77

Calling analogSynchronizedReadDifferential(...)
ADC_0 count: 13501  Diff: 13425.77
ADC_1 count: -13505  Diff: 40431.77

ADC_1 count: -26984  Diff: 53910.77

ADC_0 count: 13502  Diff: 13424.77
ADC_1 count: -13502  Diff: 40428.77

ADC_0 count: 26948  Diff: -21.23
ADC_1 count: -26976  Diff: 53902.77

ADC_0 count: 13500  Diff: 13426.77
ADC_1 count: -13503  Diff: 40429.77

ADC_1 count: -26984  Diff: 53910.77

ADC_0 count: 13501  Diff: 13425.77
ADC_1 count: -13507  Diff: 40433.77

1. Why is the output of ADC_1 negative?
2. analongReadDifferential() outputs realistic values, while analogSynchronizedReadDifferential() does not. Though in this particular case, seem suspiciously ~half that of values from the former.

Can someone give me half a clue or point me in a direction to investigate further? I've read through the html documentation from pevide's github without gaining any further insight.

Back