Connecting all inputs/outputs teensy 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcaes1

Hi agan guys

I am a newbie in electronics and controller boards. I have a teensy 3.1 and i am testing it.

I have one little question.

The teensy 3.1 has the starndard pins (inputs/outputs) but in the backside, there are more extra pins but with a golden plates.

teensy31_back_pinout.png

Which is the best way to connect the cables or connectors? Only by welding? Or Are there other ways?

Thanks in advance.

ps=I have been looking for in google and forums the answer but i haven't found it.

Ultimately, you will need to use solder or the equivalent glue to attach wires to the bottom. If you want to use it in a breadboard/perfboard setup, you might want to attach the Teensy to this breakout board, that brings out all of the pins: https://www.tindie.com/products/loglow/teensy-31-breakout/?pt=directsearch

In terms of terminology, the term you want for attaching wires to the Teensy is soldering. Welding tends to mean using very high temps to attach steel/iron, which would destroy a Teensy.

Hi again

Thank you very much for all information :D

Cheers

ps=I wanted to say Soldering...but google translator is ......

Sorry for my english :p

You can solder pins to the bottom-side pads. If you do add pins, please understand the bottom pads are not strong to allow the pins to be repeated unplugged from a tight socket. They simply do not have the same mechanical strength as the through-hole pads. The bottom side pads are really only useful for a permanent soldered connection.

Hi Carcaes1,

just soldered a shrouded pin header to the bottom pads of a teensy 3.1. It was easier than I thought in the begining.

IMG_0522.JPG IMG_0525.JPG

I used a small piece of breadboard to align the pinheader like in the second picture. You then solder one pin to fix the pinheader. Remove the breadboard and solder the rest of the pins.

IMG_0531.JPG

Fits nicely and is only a couple of minutes work.

IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0541.JPG

Best wishes
Lutz

In case you haven't seen it yet, there is a thread talking about adding a shield to bring out the pins shared with an Arduino to an Arduino shield: http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/25620-Teensy-3-1-to-Arduno-Shield-DIY-Adaptor.

The member freto announced his own variant of the shield, that brings out all of the pins: https://www.tindie.com/products/freto/teensy-3-breakout-board-and-shield/.

In terms of Luni's stripboard, that is nice as well. I would worry about the reset button being pushed by accident if the Teensy is mounted upside down, and there isn't enough of a height clearance to make sure the button clears the ground.

The board is not mounted upside down. I only used the stripboard to keep the smd pinheader in the correct position during soldering of the first pins. (maybe sharing that simple idea helps somebody). The breakout board at Tindie looks usefull indeed, I'll see if somebody in Europe sells those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back