unresponsive Teensy3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMoody3

Hi guys. Was having a good night here, uploading small variations of code to the audio shield project. The Teensy3.1 stopped responding. I tried another unit which took the code and works fine installed in the project. The original is still non responsive. Nothing electrical was changed... I only uploaded new code. Only thing noteworthy was that I was still running audio through the circuit as I uploaded code. No external dc.

Attachments

• flangerBoxOne.ino
    6.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Tried this?
Compile a known good simple program link blinky.
disconnect all Teensys.
Connect the problem Teensy.
Press the button on that Teensy to ensure it downloads only the simple program.
Double check what the downloader window shows - correct file name, etc.

It appears to be a win7 problem. Rebooted, flashed the program and I'm back in business. Duly noted that this can happen.

There's a known problem with Windows that is general to all USB, but affects the Teensy more. When the Teensy runs amok for some reason, the USB disconnects in an odd manner per Windows. Then Windows introduces a delay of some 15 seconds before it tries to re-enumerate that USB device. It is said it doesn't happen on MACs.

Yes I seem to have this type of problem
A new Teensy3.1 worked Ok downloading and running examples to the teensy only, nothing else connected and powered from USB
Then it just stopped and didnt download properly and then Windows Device manager kept detecting it and then dropping it.
The LED still flashes on it but randomly rather than repeated link in the blink sketch.
When I now compile Blink, it compiles and opens the loader, Arduino verbose tells me to press reset to download.
I press the button on the teensy board but looks like the Teensy Loader is not detecting it.....

When I switch on Teensy verbose in the Teensy loader it gives me the following...

14:29:22: Verbose Info event
14:29:26: Device came online, code_size = 262144
14:29:26: Board is: Teensy 3.1 (MK20DX256), version 1.03
14:29:26: File "Blink.cpp.hex". 14324 bytes, 5% used
14:29:26: HID/win32: HidD_GetPreparsedData ok, device still online :)
14:29:26: Device went offline

It tells me the device went offline although it is still plugged in

Is this a windows setup or drivers or hardware problem. Is there any other way of finding out what is happening....
Thanks

Further to my previous post, does it matter what is set in Arduino IDE, Tools, Programmer when programming Teensy via USB.....????
What should it be set to...??

I'm not certain what the problem actually is. I had to rrboot the computer before things worked again. As for settings in the IDE regarding programmer... those are for using *programmers* and dont apply to using bootloader enabled devices. I'd make sure the IDE is targeting the correct board and serial port, though.

I also searched through the forum for "dead teensy" and other variations and read them. Scattered throughout are bits and pieces of why this happens and some electrical tests that can be done. Try rebooting your Windows computer.

Emory

Is this a windows setup or drivers or hardware problem.

The simple test is to try on a different PC (and use a different USB cable). If the problem only happens on a single machine, then it's probably a hardware or software problem on that PC.

Is there any other way of finding out what is happening....

By only electronic communication, it's difficult to tell. There is expensive equipment that can monitor everything about the USB communication....

20140418_120852_resized.jpg

Fwiw dept: all fine here now. Getting musically useful results from the flanger effect. Nice work, Pete. I'm getting thumbs up from a couple of pros who've heard the thing being put through paces.

( I get the hardware...math makes my head spin. Patiently awaiting the work being done, ready to take it onwards. )

Emory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back