Using alternate USB connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JKIM

Hello,

I am considering using Teensy 3.1 inside of a (small scale) commercial product. This seems to make sense in terms of time and cost for a short run product.

The one major hurdle I need to resolve is breaking out the USB connection. I plan to have a USB isolator chip and a separate PCB with a USB type B jack for the main USB connection.

Using the built-in micro USB connector on the Teensy 3.1 doesn't make sense in this case.

Has anyone else done something similar and have suggestions?

The options I have considered are:
* Use a bare wire micro-USB extender with the Teensy jack (hard to find and/or expensive)
* Remove the Teensy USB jack and solder wires to the pads (unworkable)
* Use the test pads on the bottom of the board when mounting to the main PCB (work intensive)
* Make a custom PCB "mate" that plugs in to the micro USB jack and then exposes pins down to the main PCB for soldering (extravagant, but most workable into production)

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks
JK

Well you can get DIY USB connectors from places like Adafruit, so you can make a custom cable that goes to your breakout board:

Another possibility is just get a short USB cable with the appropriate ends, and plug one end into the Teensy and the other end into your isolator.

At some point, I've been thinking of using this Power multiplexor: http://www.pololu.com/product/2594, and then build a micro USB cable to install into the Teensy. My main motivation is to allow higher amp 5v power than I get from USB for running a few neopixel strands, but still allow the programming to continue via the USB.

I've also thought about using the digispark programming tool, and instead of connecting the 3 position switch, connect to use alternate power supplies.

Finally, if you are doing the isolator for the power, and don't need the USB ground/data pins electrically separated, just cut the trace between VIN and VUSB, and power your Teensy via the VIN pin: http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/19228...ng-VIN-from-VUSB-Teensy-3-0?p=44024#post44024.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.
The isolator I'm using is the ADuM 3160 on the PCB, so a cable adapter would need to be sourced with bare leads on one end.
Similar to this, but for micro USB (expensive): http://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111

I don't need USB power for the Teensy, so I will be using VIN with a 3.3v regulated supply.

I can get quantity pricing for those male micro USB pcb-mount plugs, so I may try that. I would be looking at a run of 500-1000 devices.
I'm a little reluctant to use the USB connector rather than a soldered connection in a product I hope will be in use for several decades.
If I use a PCB adapter it will be soldered/locked in place so it shouldn't be a worry that it will work it's way out of the USB jack.
But I suppose it isn't much different than friction mount headers for PCB jumper wiring.

Something like this (but using micro USB and with through hole pins for a header connection to the main PCB):
Mini-USB-10pin-Connector-With-PCB.jpg

Thanks
JK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back