Pre-programmed Mini54 Packaging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MuShoo

Just curious, how do you package the preprogrammed mini54 chips? If I were to buy a bunch (say, 100) would they be easily added into a pick'n'place workflow? Basically, can/do they come in a tube/tape/reel/tray, or are they 'loose?' Is packaging different for the TQFP vs QFN types?

Thanks!

I bought some TQFP ones. They were wrapped in plastic around a piece of antistatic foam. Not really P&P friendly, but maybe you can request a tray if you order a big number of them?

I've bought both a couple of TQFP and 10 QFN, both where not in a tray or tube, but a individual. I emailed sales to ask exactly this same question and had not had a response.

I suspect that they get the chips and program them locally by hand and not from the manufacturer. So that will mean either a manual loading or you will have to put each chip back into a tube.

Johnny, I'd emailed too, still no response. I wonder how hard it is to put things in a tray manually. Or... where to get the trays without components in them. I have a feeling putting them in a reel or cut tape would be nearly impossible, because those are sealed with a thin layer of plastic.

The TQFP would most likely come from a tray anyway, probably if you order enough of them and asked pjrc to include the tray they would (maybe).

The qfn would come from a reel, but putting them into a tube is duable. And depending on your PnP machine (if it's got optics or not), the orientation would not be important other than they are all the right way up. These guys sell a tube http://www.jameco.com/1/1/25187-ric-220-plastic-ic-storage-tubes-used-anti-static.html, Just need to find the correct size, maybe buy a tube of something from digikey or mouser and discard the content or use it for another project. I also found these guys http://www.beepackaging.com/ic-tubes.html but suspect you need to buy in volumn.

Putting it back into a reel is a no go as it would require expensive packing machines.

I think the big question is is how many can pjrc actually supply. If I where to launch my project and sold 1000 units, could pjrc supply me with a 1000 bootloaders? If so, it's a dull few hours pushing all these into a tube.

Last edited:
Yes, we could package them back into trays for larger orders (100+, maybe even 50 or less). Not a problem. In fact, we've save the trays, in anticipation we'll need to do this.

Most people buy just a few, or 5 or 10, so we package them up individually and in 5-packs to be able to ship orders quickly. PJRC strives to ship every order on the same day, if placed before the cut-off time for each carrier (postal is usually around noon, UPS around 3:30pm, USA Pacific time zone).

I think the big question is is how many can pjrc actually supply.

Our goal is to maintain a stock of at least 500 of each chip, so we can ship all small and modestly sized orders same-day. We keep about 25 to 50 on the shelf, programmed and packaged up, ready to ship at a moment's notice. The rest of kept in the original Novoton packaging, unprogrammed. The programming goes pretty quickly, so even 100 might be able to ship same day, but planning on a 1-day lead time would be wise.

I believe at this moment we're well above the 500 goal on the TQFP and 4mm QFN. I just looked and found only about 100 of the 5mm QFN. Robin says there should be more, but I didn't go digging deep (Robin & Erin don't like it when I meddle too much in this stuff). I believe we've only ever shipped just 1 order on the 5mm QFN, to a customer who bought some of all 3 types. The TQFP is by far the most popular.

1000 or more isn't a problem, but of course that's over our stock of blank chips, so there'll be a lead time. We have lots of the 4mm QFN scheduled, since that's what's used on Teensy, so odds are good we could get those faster. In a worst case, plan on Nuvoton having a 12+ week lead time to supply us with the blank chips.

If you're really going to buy a lot of these chips, we'll work with you. We're good like that. I put a lot of work in every day to help people make their projects a success, regardless of whether they're non-commerical or for-profit. We of course want to sell you a product too.

But at the same time, I need to explain something. I get a *LOT* of questions about this chip, from people who are looking to turn their project (or mere idea for a project) into a profitable product. Those questions are incredibly time consuming, especially over the phone. They're unlike technical questions, where a bug gets fixed or part replaced and the problem is conclusively solved. We've had many lengthy phone calls and many email exchanges, which you'd think should be quick and easy, since we stock these parts and we can easily get as many more as may be needed. Problem solved, right? It's rarely that simple. Really, I can identify. I spend endless hours obsessing about every new product PJRC makes, or might create. There's a lot of uncertainty, and a lot of opportunity, and a lot of excitement, and a lot of concern or worry about making a wrong decision.... like whether PJRC can really supply the chip.

PJRC was founded in 2000, and the old 8051 board was sold for years prior in small quantities (from the days before Atmel sold AVR chips). We may not be able to make a nice looking website, but as you can see from the fact the Teensy is almost always in stock, we are actually quite good at managing inventory, forecasting sales and generally running the business. You can depend upon us.

Thank you Paul. That clears up a lot, and hopefully will go forward to answering anyone else questions about availability of the bootloader chip .

Hmm! I just came back to mention something in this thread, thinking it hadn't been replied to - I guess I missed the email from the forum about updated posts.

Paul, that's great news! At some point (not sure when) I'll probably be ordering around 200 of the TQFP variety.

In the meantime, and for anyone else that needs to do prototype assembly, I've been chatting with some guys at www.aapcb.com. Apparently, they can machine-assemble from loose components, with very very small quantities. They don't seem to be too expensive (quite a bit cheaper than www.screamingcircuits.com, especially for smaller orders), but their ability to take loose parts and still machine assemble them seems to be relatively unique.

Anyway. Paul, I always appreciate PJRC's response time, management, and customer service. The work you guys do is wonderful!

Yup I really appreciate Paul's posts and technical depth.
I was wondering does the MINI54 support the a generic interface or is only keyed to the MK20DX128VLH5/MK20DX256VLH7. I'm looking at using the 144QFP MK20DX256VLQ10 or MK20FX512VLQ12 which is a $1 more for double ram/flash.

Thanks. Really appreciate the work you've put into the Teensy3, though as with the principles of open hardware I've found that I have some choices to make.
It doesn't make sense for my "wireless remote monitoring" project to use the Teensy3.1 or use the MK20DX256VLH7 as its only 64pins - however its been great for prototyping ideas with.
Listening to Massumi at the MakerFaire I could only but admire the way he was building partnerships - first with Atmel including SAM3X and now the Zero, the WiFi based Yun, and the GSM Shield, and this year the new partnership with TI on the Tre and leveraging anew IDE 2.0. I don't have any idea what it takes to do this - and the partners have probably done the hardware -but does seem like there is a lot of synergy.
Many thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back