1.19 teensyduino installer with arduino 1.0.5 install fails on OSX mavericks 10.9.3

jmg123

Hi
I have had trouble installing teensyduino on OSX mavericks. I have recently reinstalled mavericks from fresh, here are the steps I have tried:

1) Downloaded Arduino 1.0.5 from the arduino website http://arduino.googlecode.com/files/arduino-1.0.5-macosx.zip (no other install of ardunio on the system since the fresh install.

2) Copied the downloaded unzipped arduino app to /Applications

3) Opened the arduino app, downloaded blink to a leonardo board to check the arduino install works. then closed the arduino app.

4) Downloaded teensyduino 1.19 from here https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_119/teensyduino.dmg

5) ran the installer and chose the /Applications/Arduino.app

At this point the teensyduino installer doesn't un grey the next button so I can't get any further.

Has anyone tried this in the last few days or have any suggestions? Alternatively can someone zip up their arduino app, and arudino projects directory for me to try?

===========================================================

Solution from down below in the thread:

A work around is to shut the arduino app, "rm -rf ~/Library/Arduino* /Applications/Arduino* " then reinstall 1.0.5 and install teensy studio.

===========================================================

Last edited:
Can you confirm the copy to /Applications really worked?

In other words, in a Terminal, type "ls -s /Applications". Take a look at the modification times/dates. My guess is you'll see /Applications is an old copy.

Cheers for the response.

Here is the output of ls -al /Applications

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 Jeffrey admin 102 5 Jun 19:42 Arduino.app

If you run that one in /Application and use the menu: Arduino > About, do you get a splash screen that tells which version is really is?

There is still a copy of it in ~/Downloads thats it though, It was a fresh install of Mavericks from a few days ago, just put arduino 1.0.5 on there today when I tired to install teensyduino.

--edit have done rm -rf ~/Downloads/Arduino* so the only copy is the one inside /Applications.

Since the installer won't enable the Next button when you select the one in /Applications, there's obviously something about *that* copy the installer doesn't like.

Now that Downloads is cleared, please try downloading a fresh copy of www.arduino.cc and extract the ZIP file within Downloads. Then run the installer and navigate to /Users/yourname/Downloads and try installing to that freshly downloaded & extracted copy. The installer should always recognize a fresh copy.

If it still fails on a freshly downloaded & extracted copy in Downloads, I'll put together a dev version of the installer that will give us more info about what's wrong. Who knows, maybe something in Mac OS-X changed within the last few days?

Thanks for helping I've got it working now.

The arduino 1.0.5 app is showing 0156 even though:

A) I have reinstalled mavericks from fresh
B) I have only downloaded 105 from the arduino website since the install today

Upon further inspection it appears that when i restored my home directory from a Time Machine backup it restored the hidden file ~/Library/Arduino15/preferences.txt This had 1.5.6R2 lines in it from before I reinstalled mavericks. Even though 1.0.5 is the only thing installed on the system, the arduino app showed 0156

A work around is to shut the arduino app, "rm -rf ~/Library/Arduino* /Applications/Arduino* then reinstall 1.0.5 and install teensy studio.

A fix would be to modify the teensyduino installer to not look at ~/Library/Arduino*/preferences.txt, and just let you install it if you want to install it, with a message or popup or something to say that only 1.0.5 is supported. Arduino should also fix the bug that picks up the version number from preferences.txt

Last edited:
Back