9- and 10-DoF LSM9DS0 shield for Teensy 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

onehorse

I've been doing a lot of testing of 9 DoF sensor fusion solutions (including MPU-6050, MPU-9x50, GY-80, and LSM9DS0) with the 3.3V 8 MHz Pro Mini and Teensy 3.1. The best performance is to be had with the Teensy 3.1 (no surprise) and the LSM9DS0 (still not sure why, exactly), which combination easily achieves 9 DoF sensor fusion filter rates of 1000 Hz using open-source Madgwick or Mahony fusion algorithms. This is ideal for real-time-response motion control.

Breakout boards are fine for testing but I want something more convenient and integrated for my applications. Rather than reproduce a Teensy 3.1 light on a dedicated motion sensing board like this, I've decided to first try a shield that will sit atop or below a Teensy 3.1. The first prototype just uses an LSM9DS0 but there is room for an additional MPL3115A2 20-bit pressure sensor. This will provide true 9 (or 10) DoF sensor fusion in a very small package. I can think of lots of applications for such an open-source solution. Is anyone else working along these lines?

Last edited:
Great work. Been starting to play around with using a 10DOF sensor for an experiment, and well your website is a great resource and easier to read than most sites out there. Thanks for sharing this and would be very interested in your breakout board you have posted.

I plan to put a few prototypes together and test them this Summer. Of course, you are welcome to use the design from OSHPark.com as you like, but if the prototypes work as I expect they could be offered for sale at some point. Maybe I can persuade Sparkfun.com to offer them:).

That would be great, since it looks like I would have to learn how to do solder reflow to populate that board.

So have you gotten any prototypes running yet? Another person in my lab just received 2 x-imu systems, however was like $600. I told him I could do something very similar for under 100$. Anyways, just thought I would check in and see how your stuff is going.

I appreciate your interest!

They say an expert is someone who has already made all the mistakes possible in his field. I am becoming quite an expert then in designing these boards!

The first one turns out to be the wrong size by 0.1 inch. I made some routing errors on the next couple. Finally I have two prototype board designs that should work. They are here and here. The first is using an MPU-9250 9-axis motion sensor from Invensense and a Freescale MPL3115A2 altimeter. The second is using an ST LSM9DS0 9-axis motion sensor with the same altimeter. Both boards are intended to fit underneath the Teensy 3.1 on the last 5 rows of pins below the reset button. I am also exploring making a super-small SMD board to connect to the pins underneath (pins 23 - 37), which would leave more room for the bluetooth LE module, LiPo charging module, and PWM motor control module I think can all be fitted onto a Teensy 3.1 at the same time. This modular approach is a little harder to design and test than one integrated system, but in the end it will be much more flexible for motion sensing and motion control applications, as well as being super small and, I hope affordable. The idea is to hijack the commodity, easy-to-use Teensy 3.1 and graft on a suite of modules compatible with many of the Teensy capabilities, like Paul's audio shield, only much smaller.

I haven't received any of the boards from OSHPark yet (even the ones likely to be unusable), but I have all the parts I need and should be able to start assembly and testing in July. My goal is to have some kind of prototype of the concept available by the end of the Summer.

In the meantime, you can still buy a 9-axis MPU-9250 or LSM9DS0 breakout board for about $30 and, coupled with the Teensy 3.1 and a breadboard, use any number of open-source sensor fusion sketches to produce a sophisticated absolute orientation sensor that will match performance of most other solutions. This might be less elegant than what I have in mind, but a little clunky might be worth the extra $250.

What is an x-imu anyway?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, sounds like you are on the right track. The x-imu it a system already done that uses the 6050, however at 310 British Pounds, a little step in price.....plus really, what can't you do with a teensy for such a small price. Might look into getting a lsm9dso breakout and play with it, since my next PhD project is going to need some of these and well i can't afford $400 sensors. Thanks again and excited to see the progress of your project.

I too am quite interested in your work, and really appreciate the way you've documented everything. I'll likely purchase the LSM9DS0 micro shield from osh park once the pin 33 GPIO issue gets ironed out.

Thanks for your interest.

You now have a choice of several varieties of Teensy 3.1 add-on boards with either 9 or 10 DoF, each with Arduino and Teensyduino sketches that produce quaternions and yaw, pitch, and roll, etc. using open-source 9-axis sensor fusion.

The sensors include the LSM9DS0, MPU9250, and BMX-055 9-axis motion sensors plus either the MPL3115A2 or MS5637 pressure sensor/altimeter. I've shared all the designs that work on OSHPark.com; please use them. At Paul's suggestion, I have also started offering assembled Teensy 3.1 add-on shields for sale at Tindie.com.

I am in the process of building up an inventory of 10 DoF motion sensor add-on shields and I plan to add LiPo charging, nRF24L01+ 2.4 GHz radio, nRF51822 bluetooth smart, and dc motor control by PWM add-on shields.

The idea is a modular Teensy 3.1 that can serve a variety of applications by mixing and matching several add-on shields on a single Teensy 3.1. Quadcopters, robots, sports monitors, etc. are obvious applications. Any other applications that could make use of this modularity?

Last edited:
So I think I want the LSM9DS0 Teensy 3.1 Micro Shield, as I like that is goes on the bottom on the Teensy 3.1 board. Is there a reason to use one of the mini boards instead?

Also, I'm unclear, does board/sensor mounting orientation matter when in use?

I am in the process of redesigning the LSM9DS0 Micro shield. I plan to avoid use of pin 33 and I want to add an MS5637 pressure sensor. The Mini LSM9DS0 board already has an MPL3115A2 pressure sensor but there are better ones. I already designed a Mini replacement with the LPS25H and MS5611 pressure sensors; each is a factor of three more accurate than the MPL3115A2 and use much less power. Better all around.

There should be no difference between the Mini and Micro boards performance wise, but I haven't done extensive testing to know whether there are any issues with the specific location, i.e., interference, etc. The orientation matters only in that the sensor outputs yaw, pitch, and roll (or the quaternion equivalent, which is more general) relative to a fixed Earth frame of reference. The x-axis of the accelerometer is programmed to be aligned with True North when the yaw, pitch, and roll reads (0, 0, 0). You can make other choices, but generally, as long as the sensor axes are properly accounted for in the program, it shouldn't matter. Of course, with these boards, there is only one right way to mount them so I'm not sure what else you had in mind.

I am working on the LSM9DS0 Micro Add-on now. Soonest would be two or three weeks. If you can wait I would recommend that you do. You could also try the MPU9250 9-axis motion sensor plus MS5637 pressure sensor Micro Add-on. It has the same capabilities, no pin 33 breakout, fits on the Teensy 3.1 back pads, and is ready now. The LSM9DS0 and MPU9250 aren't exactly the same, of course, they both have their separate strengths and weaknesses. I personally prefer the MPU9250 since it is smaller and cheaper than the LSM9DS0. Performance-wise, the LSM9DS0 allows up to 30% faster sensor fusion filter rates than the MPU9250, which is a curiosity I don't quite understand. You can read more about the differences between and capabilities of each here.

Ok, so I'm even more confused. What sensor package do you recommend for the following?

- acceleration rate ±4g
- lean angle (motorcycle)
- compass heading

Ideally, I'd like a package like the micro that will attach to the pins on the underside.

I'm not sure of the point of confusion.

Either the LSM9DS0 or MPU9250 would work for your application. Both fit on the back pads of the Teensy 3.1, both cost about the same, both have well-commented programs available to obtain quaternion output of absolute orientation wrt a fixed Earth frame of reference at update rates >> 1 kHz, both have accelerometer full-scale ranges from +/- 2 to +/- 16 g.

You have to decide if the remaining differences warrant one over the other. For example, the MPU9250 Micro add-on is available now, the redesigned LSM9DS0 add-on in a few weeks. The LSM9DS0 magnetometer has a resolution of 80 microGauss, the MPU9250 1.5 milliGauss, IIRC. The MPU9250 has a Digital Motion Processor embedded in the chip which allows some off-microcontroller data collection and fusion, the LSM9DS0 doesn't, etc.

And there are other sensor solutions that might be more appropriate for your application. For example, there is the MPU6050, which is a 6-axis accel/gyro from which it is possible to get yaw, pitch, and roll using the Invensense proprietary DMP, etc. There are 2- and 3-axis accelerometer that allow accelerations up to 100 g to be measured. There is a universe of sensor solutions any one of which might be more appropriate for your specific application. You have to decide what you want, and then decide on the best compromise between the costs and benefits any one sensor solution might provide.

These micro add-on boards allow a general sensor solution that should fit many motion sensing applications well; they are not necessarily the optimum solution.

I hope this discussion reduces the confusion...

I'm not sure of the point of confusion.

It's mainly my lasck of understanding between the different types of sensors.

I hope this discussion reduces the confusion...

It did, thank you! Do you anticipate the new micro board to be the same price as the existing micro board?

Last edited:
It's mainly my lasck of understanding between the different types of sensors.

I recommend the link above which has a pretty good intro to the subject with links to a lot of the information you would need to cure the deficiency.

Do you anticipate the new micro board to be the same price as the existing micro board?

Should be pretty close. With low volume it's hard to get the price below $25.

I am building the first three this weekend and, if successful, plan to offer them for sale on Tindie as i build more.

FYI, I got the first three boards built and working and listed a couple for sale at my Tindie store. I'll order more boards and make more!

I'll probably order some in a few weeks. I want to get the rest of my project working before I add another variable...

I've ordered and assembled one of the microshields. If I can get it up and working, then the tiny size is going to make my current project much easier.

The hardware setup I have is a bare Teensy 3.1 and the LSM9DSO micro-shield. This is the version without the MS5637 pressure sensor. The hardware checks out electrically, with good contacts from the shield to the pins on the Cortex.

I've the latest libary, as of the commit two days ago. Compiling this gives some complaints from the I2CreadByte() and I2CreadBytes() functions as are still expecting the Wire.h library. Some of the argument types are different between the Wire.h functions and the i2c_t3.h functions. A few casts solves that and it all compiles with no errors or warnings.

Here's the changed SFE_LSM9DSO.cpp:
Code:
/******************************************************************************
SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp
SFE_LSM9DS0 Library Source File
Jim Lindblom @ SparkFun Electronics
Original Creation Date: February 14, 2014 (Happy Valentines Day!)
https://github.com/sparkfun/LSM9DS0_Breakout

This file implements all functions of the LSM9DS0 class. Functions here range
from higher level stuff, like reading/writing LSM9DS0 registers to low-level,
hardware reads and writes. Both SPI and I2C handler functions can be found
towards the bottom of this file.

Development environment specifics:
	IDE: Arduino 1.0.5
	Hardware Platform: Arduino Pro 3.3V/8MHz
	LSM9DS0 Breakout Version: 1.0

This code is beerware; if you see me (or any other SparkFun employee) at the
local, and you've found our code helpful, please buy us a round!

Distributed as-is; no warranty is given.
******************************************************************************/

#include "SFE_LSM9DS0.h"
#include <i2c_t3.h> // Wire library is used for I2C
#include <SPI.h>  // SPI library is used for...SPI.

#if defined(ARDUINO) && ARDUINO >= 100
  #include "Arduino.h"
#else
  #include "WProgram.h"
#endif

LSM9DS0::LSM9DS0(interface_mode interface, uint8_t gAddr, uint8_t xmAddr)
{
	// interfaceMode will keep track of whether we're using SPI or I2C:
	interfaceMode = interface;

// xmAddress and gAddress will store the 7-bit I2C address, if using I2C.
	// If we're using SPI, these variables store the chip-select pins.
	xmAddress = xmAddr;
	gAddress = gAddr;
}

uint16_t LSM9DS0::begin(gyro_scale gScl, accel_scale aScl, mag_scale mScl, 
						gyro_odr gODR, accel_odr aODR, mag_odr mODR)
{
	// Store the given scales in class variables. These scale variables
	// are used throughout to calculate the actual g's, DPS,and Gs's.
	gScale = gScl;
	aScale = aScl;
	mScale = mScl;

// Once we have the scale values, we can calculate the resolution
	// of each sensor. That's what these functions are for. One for each sensor
	calcgRes(); // Calculate DPS / ADC tick, stored in gRes variable
	calcmRes(); // Calculate Gs / ADC tick, stored in mRes variable
	calcaRes(); // Calculate g / ADC tick, stored in aRes variable

// Now, initialize our hardware interface.
	if (interfaceMode == MODE_I2C)	// If we're using I2C
		initI2C();					// Initialize I2C
	else if (interfaceMode == MODE_SPI) 	// else, if we're using SPI
		initSPI();							// Initialize SPI

// To verify communication, we can read from the WHO_AM_I register of
	// each device. Store those in a variable so we can return them.
	uint8_t gTest = gReadByte(WHO_AM_I_G);		// Read the gyro WHO_AM_I
	uint8_t xmTest = xmReadByte(WHO_AM_I_XM);	// Read the accel/mag WHO_AM_I

// Gyro initialization stuff:
	initGyro();	// This will "turn on" the gyro. Setting up interrupts, etc.
	setGyroODR(gODR); // Set the gyro output data rate and bandwidth.
	setGyroScale(gScale); // Set the gyro range

// Accelerometer initialization stuff:
	initAccel(); // "Turn on" all axes of the accel. Set up interrupts, etc.
	setAccelODR(aODR); // Set the accel data rate.
	setAccelScale(aScale); // Set the accel range.

// Magnetometer initialization stuff:
	initMag(); // "Turn on" all axes of the mag. Set up interrupts, etc.
	setMagODR(mODR); // Set the magnetometer output data rate.
	setMagScale(mScale); // Set the magnetometer's range.

// Once everything is initialized, return the WHO_AM_I registers we read:
	return (xmTest << 8) | gTest;
}

void LSM9DS0::initGyro()
{
	/* CTRL_REG1_G sets output data rate, bandwidth, power-down and enables
	Bits[7:0]: DR1 DR0 BW1 BW0 PD Zen Xen Yen
	DR[1:0] - Output data rate selection
		00=95Hz, 01=190Hz, 10=380Hz, 11=760Hz
	BW[1:0] - Bandwidth selection (sets cutoff frequency)
		 Value depends on ODR. See datasheet table 21.
	PD - Power down enable (0=power down mode, 1=normal or sleep mode)
	Zen, Xen, Yen - Axis enable (o=disabled, 1=enabled)	*/
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_G, 0x0F); // Normal mode, enable all axes

/* CTRL_REG2_G sets up the HPF
	Bits[7:0]: 0 0 HPM1 HPM0 HPCF3 HPCF2 HPCF1 HPCF0
	HPM[1:0] - High pass filter mode selection
		00=normal (reset reading HP_RESET_FILTER, 01=ref signal for filtering,
		10=normal, 11=autoreset on interrupt
	HPCF[3:0] - High pass filter cutoff frequency
		Value depends on data rate. See datasheet table 26.
	*/
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_G, 0x00); // Normal mode, high cutoff frequency

/* CTRL_REG3_G sets up interrupt and DRDY_G pins
	Bits[7:0]: I1_IINT1 I1_BOOT H_LACTIVE PP_OD I2_DRDY I2_WTM I2_ORUN I2_EMPTY
	I1_INT1 - Interrupt enable on INT_G pin (0=disable, 1=enable)
	I1_BOOT - Boot status available on INT_G (0=disable, 1=enable)
	H_LACTIVE - Interrupt active configuration on INT_G (0:high, 1:low)
	PP_OD - Push-pull/open-drain (0=push-pull, 1=open-drain)
	I2_DRDY - Data ready on DRDY_G (0=disable, 1=enable)
	I2_WTM - FIFO watermark interrupt on DRDY_G (0=disable 1=enable)
	I2_ORUN - FIFO overrun interrupt on DRDY_G (0=disable 1=enable)
	I2_EMPTY - FIFO empty interrupt on DRDY_G (0=disable 1=enable) */
	// Int1 enabled (pp, active low), data read on DRDY_G:
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG3_G, 0x88); 

/* CTRL_REG4_G sets the scale, update mode
	Bits[7:0] - BDU BLE FS1 FS0 - ST1 ST0 SIM
	BDU - Block data update (0=continuous, 1=output not updated until read
	BLE - Big/little endian (0=data LSB @ lower address, 1=LSB @ higher add)
	FS[1:0] - Full-scale selection
		00=245dps, 01=500dps, 10=2000dps, 11=2000dps
	ST[1:0] - Self-test enable
		00=disabled, 01=st 0 (x+, y-, z-), 10=undefined, 11=st 1 (x-, y+, z+)
	SIM - SPI serial interface mode select
		0=4 wire, 1=3 wire */
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG4_G, 0x00); // Set scale to 245 dps

/* CTRL_REG5_G sets up the FIFO, HPF, and INT1
	Bits[7:0] - BOOT FIFO_EN - HPen INT1_Sel1 INT1_Sel0 Out_Sel1 Out_Sel0
	BOOT - Reboot memory content (0=normal, 1=reboot)
	FIFO_EN - FIFO enable (0=disable, 1=enable)
	HPen - HPF enable (0=disable, 1=enable)
	INT1_Sel[1:0] - Int 1 selection configuration
	Out_Sel[1:0] - Out selection configuration */
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_G, 0x00);

// Temporary !!! For testing !!! Remove !!! Or make useful !!!
	configGyroInt(0x2A, 0, 0, 0, 0); // Trigger interrupt when above 0 DPS...
}

void LSM9DS0::initAccel()
{
	/* CTRL_REG0_XM (0x1F) (Default value: 0x00)
	Bits (7-0): BOOT FIFO_EN WTM_EN 0 0 HP_CLICK HPIS1 HPIS2
	BOOT - Reboot memory content (0: normal, 1: reboot)
	FIFO_EN - Fifo enable (0: disable, 1: enable)
	WTM_EN - FIFO watermark enable (0: disable, 1: enable)
	HP_CLICK - HPF enabled for click (0: filter bypassed, 1: enabled)
	HPIS1 - HPF enabled for interrupt generator 1 (0: bypassed, 1: enabled)
	HPIS2 - HPF enabled for interrupt generator 2 (0: bypassed, 1 enabled)   */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG0_XM, 0x00);

/* CTRL_REG1_XM (0x20) (Default value: 0x07)
	Bits (7-0): AODR3 AODR2 AODR1 AODR0 BDU AZEN AYEN AXEN
	AODR[3:0] - select the acceleration data rate:
		0000=power down, 0001=3.125Hz, 0010=6.25Hz, 0011=12.5Hz, 
		0100=25Hz, 0101=50Hz, 0110=100Hz, 0111=200Hz, 1000=400Hz,
		1001=800Hz, 1010=1600Hz, (remaining combinations undefined).
	BDU - block data update for accel AND mag
		0: Continuous update
		1: Output registers aren't updated until MSB and LSB have been read.
	AZEN, AYEN, and AXEN - Acceleration x/y/z-axis enabled.
		0: Axis disabled, 1: Axis enabled									 */	
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_XM, 0x57); // 100Hz data rate, x/y/z all enabled

//Serial.println(xmReadByte(CTRL_REG1_XM));
	/* CTRL_REG2_XM (0x21) (Default value: 0x00)
	Bits (7-0): ABW1 ABW0 AFS2 AFS1 AFS0 AST1 AST0 SIM
	ABW[1:0] - Accelerometer anti-alias filter bandwidth
		00=773Hz, 01=194Hz, 10=362Hz, 11=50Hz
	AFS[2:0] - Accel full-scale selection
		000=+/-2g, 001=+/-4g, 010=+/-6g, 011=+/-8g, 100=+/-16g
	AST[1:0] - Accel self-test enable
		00=normal (no self-test), 01=positive st, 10=negative st, 11=not allowed
	SIM - SPI mode selection
		0=4-wire, 1=3-wire													 */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_XM, 0x00); // Set scale to 2g

/* CTRL_REG3_XM is used to set interrupt generators on INT1_XM
	Bits (7-0): P1_BOOT P1_TAP P1_INT1 P1_INT2 P1_INTM P1_DRDYA P1_DRDYM P1_EMPTY
	*/
	// Accelerometer data ready on INT1_XM (0x04)
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG3_XM, 0x04); 
}

void LSM9DS0::initMag()
{	
	/* CTRL_REG5_XM enables temp sensor, sets mag resolution and data rate
	Bits (7-0): TEMP_EN M_RES1 M_RES0 M_ODR2 M_ODR1 M_ODR0 LIR2 LIR1
	TEMP_EN - Enable temperature sensor (0=disabled, 1=enabled)
	M_RES[1:0] - Magnetometer resolution select (0=low, 3=high)
	M_ODR[2:0] - Magnetometer data rate select
		000=3.125Hz, 001=6.25Hz, 010=12.5Hz, 011=25Hz, 100=50Hz, 101=100Hz
	LIR2 - Latch interrupt request on INT2_SRC (cleared by reading INT2_SRC)
		0=interrupt request not latched, 1=interrupt request latched
	LIR1 - Latch interrupt request on INT1_SRC (cleared by readging INT1_SRC)
		0=irq not latched, 1=irq latched 									 */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_XM, 0x94); // Mag data rate - 100 Hz, enable temperature sensor

/* CTRL_REG6_XM sets the magnetometer full-scale
	Bits (7-0): 0 MFS1 MFS0 0 0 0 0 0
	MFS[1:0] - Magnetic full-scale selection
	00:+/-2Gauss, 01:+/-4Gs, 10:+/-8Gs, 11:+/-12Gs							 */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG6_XM, 0x00); // Mag scale to +/- 2GS

/* CTRL_REG7_XM sets magnetic sensor mode, low power mode, and filters
	AHPM1 AHPM0 AFDS 0 0 MLP MD1 MD0
	AHPM[1:0] - HPF mode selection
		00=normal (resets reference registers), 01=reference signal for filtering, 
		10=normal, 11=autoreset on interrupt event
	AFDS - Filtered acceleration data selection
		0=internal filter bypassed, 1=data from internal filter sent to FIFO
	MLP - Magnetic data low-power mode
		0=data rate is set by M_ODR bits in CTRL_REG5
		1=data rate is set to 3.125Hz
	MD[1:0] - Magnetic sensor mode selection (default 10)
		00=continuous-conversion, 01=single-conversion, 10 and 11=power-down */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG7_XM, 0x00); // Continuous conversion mode

/* CTRL_REG4_XM is used to set interrupt generators on INT2_XM
	Bits (7-0): P2_TAP P2_INT1 P2_INT2 P2_INTM P2_DRDYA P2_DRDYM P2_Overrun P2_WTM
	*/
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG4_XM, 0x04); // Magnetometer data ready on INT2_XM (0x08)

/* INT_CTRL_REG_M to set push-pull/open drain, and active-low/high
	Bits[7:0] - XMIEN YMIEN ZMIEN PP_OD IEA IEL 4D MIEN
	XMIEN, YMIEN, ZMIEN - Enable interrupt recognition on axis for mag data
	PP_OD - Push-pull/open-drain interrupt configuration (0=push-pull, 1=od)
	IEA - Interrupt polarity for accel and magneto
		0=active-low, 1=active-high
	IEL - Latch interrupt request for accel and magneto
		0=irq not latched, 1=irq latched
	4D - 4D enable. 4D detection is enabled when 6D bit in INT_GEN1_REG is set
	MIEN - Enable interrupt generation for magnetic data
		0=disable, 1=enable) */
	xmWriteByte(INT_CTRL_REG_M, 0x09); // Enable interrupts for mag, active-low, push-pull
}

// This is a function that uses the FIFO to accumulate sample of accelerometer and gyro data, average
// them, scales them to  gs and deg/s, respectively, and then passes the biases to the main sketch
// for subtraction from all subsequent data. There are no gyro and accelerometer bias registers to store
// the data as there are in the ADXL345, a precursor to the LSM9DS0, or the MPU-9150, so we have to
// subtract the biases ourselves. This results in a more accurate measurement in general and can
// remove errors due to imprecise or varying initial placement. Calibration of sensor data in this manner
// is good practice.

void LSM9DS0::calLSM9DS0(float * gbias, float * abias)
{  
  uint8_t data[6] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
  int32_t gyro_bias[3] = {0, 0, 0}, accel_bias[3] = {0, 0, 0};
  uint16_t samples, ii;

// First get gyro bias
  byte c = gReadByte(CTRL_REG5_G);
  gWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_G, c | 0x40);         // Enable gyro FIFO  
  delay(20);                                 // Wait for change to take effect
  gWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG_G, 0x20 | 0x1F);  // Enable gyro FIFO stream mode and set watermark at 32 samples
  delay(1000);  // delay 1000 milliseconds to collect FIFO samples

samples = (gReadByte(FIFO_SRC_REG_G) & 0x1F); // Read number of stored samples

for(ii = 0; ii < samples ; ii++) {            // Read the gyro data stored in the FIFO
    int16_t gyro_temp[3] = {0, 0, 0};
    gReadBytes(OUT_X_L_G,  &data[0], 6);
    gyro_temp[0] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[1] << 8) | data[0]); // Form signed 16-bit integer for each sample in FIFO
    gyro_temp[1] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[3] << 8) | data[2]);
    gyro_temp[2] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[5] << 8) | data[4]);

gyro_bias[0] += (int32_t) gyro_temp[0]; // Sum individual signed 16-bit biases to get accumulated signed 32-bit biases
    gyro_bias[1] += (int32_t) gyro_temp[1]; 
    gyro_bias[2] += (int32_t) gyro_temp[2]; 
  }  

gyro_bias[0] /= samples; // average the data
  gyro_bias[1] /= samples; 
  gyro_bias[2] /= samples; 

gbias[0] = (float)gyro_bias[0]*gRes;  // Properly scale the data to get deg/s
  gbias[1] = (float)gyro_bias[1]*gRes;
  gbias[2] = (float)gyro_bias[2]*gRes;

c = gReadByte(CTRL_REG5_G);
  gWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_G, c & ~0x40);  // Disable gyro FIFO  
  delay(20);
  gWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG_G, 0x00);   // Enable gyro bypass mode

//  Now get the accelerometer biases
  c = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG0_XM);
  xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG0_XM, c | 0x40);      // Enable accelerometer FIFO  
  delay(20);                                // Wait for change to take effect
  xmWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG, 0x20 | 0x1F);  // Enable accelerometer FIFO stream mode and set watermark at 32 samples
  delay(1000);  // delay 1000 milliseconds to collect FIFO samples

samples = (xmReadByte(FIFO_SRC_REG) & 0x1F); // Read number of stored accelerometer samples

for(ii = 0; ii < samples ; ii++) {          // Read the accelerometer data stored in the FIFO
    int16_t accel_temp[3] = {0, 0, 0};
    xmReadBytes(OUT_X_L_A, &data[0], 6);
    accel_temp[0] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[1] << 8) | data[0]);// Form signed 16-bit integer for each sample in FIFO
    accel_temp[1] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[3] << 8) | data[2]);
    accel_temp[2] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[5] << 8) | data[4]);  

accel_bias[0] += (int32_t) accel_temp[0]; // Sum individual signed 16-bit biases to get accumulated signed 32-bit biases
    accel_bias[1] += (int32_t) accel_temp[1]; 
    accel_bias[2] += (int32_t) accel_temp[2]; 
  }  

accel_bias[0] /= samples; // average the data
  accel_bias[1] /= samples; 
  accel_bias[2] /= samples; 

if(accel_bias[2] > 0L) {accel_bias[2] -= (int32_t) (1.0/aRes);}  // Remove gravity from the z-axis accelerometer bias calculation
  else {accel_bias[2] += (int32_t) (1.0/aRes);}

abias[0] = (float)accel_bias[0]*aRes; // Properly scale data to get gs
  abias[1] = (float)accel_bias[1]*aRes;
  abias[2] = (float)accel_bias[2]*aRes;

c = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG0_XM);
  xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG0_XM, c & ~0x40);    // Disable accelerometer FIFO  
  delay(20);
  xmWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG, 0x00);       // Enable accelerometer bypass mode
}

void LSM9DS0::readAccel()
{
	uint8_t temp[6]; // We'll read six bytes from the accelerometer into temp	
	xmReadBytes(OUT_X_L_A, temp, 6); // Read 6 bytes, beginning at OUT_X_L_A
	ax = (temp[1] << 8) | temp[0]; // Store x-axis values into ax
	ay = (temp[3] << 8) | temp[2]; // Store y-axis values into ay
	az = (temp[5] << 8) | temp[4]; // Store z-axis values into az
}

void LSM9DS0::readMag()
{
	uint8_t temp[6]; // We'll read six bytes from the mag into temp	
	xmReadBytes(OUT_X_L_M, temp, 6); // Read 6 bytes, beginning at OUT_X_L_M
	mx = (temp[1] << 8) | temp[0]; // Store x-axis values into mx
	my = (temp[3] << 8) | temp[2]; // Store y-axis values into my
	mz = (temp[5] << 8) | temp[4]; // Store z-axis values into mz
}

void LSM9DS0::readTemp()
{
	uint8_t temp[2]; // We'll read two bytes from the temperature sensor into temp	
	xmReadBytes(OUT_TEMP_L_XM, temp, 2); // Read 2 bytes, beginning at OUT_TEMP_L_M
        temperature = (((int16_t) temp[1] << 12) | temp[0] << 4 ) >> 4; // Temperature is a 12-bit signed integer
}

void LSM9DS0::readGyro()
{
	uint8_t temp[6]; // We'll read six bytes from the gyro into temp
	gReadBytes(OUT_X_L_G, temp, 6); // Read 6 bytes, beginning at OUT_X_L_G
	gx = (temp[1] << 8) | temp[0]; // Store x-axis values into gx
	gy = (temp[3] << 8) | temp[2]; // Store y-axis values into gy
	gz = (temp[5] << 8) | temp[4]; // Store z-axis values into gz
}

float LSM9DS0::calcGyro(int16_t gyro)
{
	// Return the gyro raw reading times our pre-calculated DPS / (ADC tick):
	return gRes * gyro; 
}

float LSM9DS0::calcAccel(int16_t accel)
{
	// Return the accel raw reading times our pre-calculated g's / (ADC tick):
	return aRes * accel;
}

float LSM9DS0::calcMag(int16_t mag)
{
	// Return the mag raw reading times our pre-calculated Gs / (ADC tick):
	return mRes * mag;
}

void LSM9DS0::setGyroScale(gyro_scale gScl)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG4_G. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = gReadByte(CTRL_REG4_G);
	// Then mask out the gyro scale bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 4);
	// Then shift in our new scale bits:
	temp |= gScl << 4;
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG4_G:
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG4_G, temp);

// We've updated the sensor, but we also need to update our class variables
	// First update gScale:
	gScale = gScl;
	// Then calculate a new gRes, which relies on gScale being set correctly:
	calcgRes();
}

void LSM9DS0::setAccelScale(accel_scale aScl)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG2_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG2_XM);
	// Then mask out the accel scale bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 3);
	temp |= aScl << 3;
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG2_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_XM, temp);

// First update aScale:
	aScale = aScl;
	// Then calculate a new aRes, which relies on aScale being set correctly:
	calcaRes();
}

void LSM9DS0::setMagScale(mag_scale mScl)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG6_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG6_XM);
	// Then mask out the mag scale bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 5);
	temp |= mScl << 5;
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG6_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG6_XM, temp);

// First update mScale:
	mScale = mScl;
	// Then calculate a new mRes, which relies on mScale being set correctly:
	calcmRes();
}

void LSM9DS0::setGyroODR(gyro_odr gRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG1_G. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = gReadByte(CTRL_REG1_G);
	// Then mask out the gyro ODR bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0xF << 4);
	// Then shift in our new ODR bits:
	temp |= (gRate << 4);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG1_G:
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_G, temp);
}
void LSM9DS0::setAccelODR(accel_odr aRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG1_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG1_XM);
	// Then mask out the accel ODR bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0xF << 4);
	temp |= (aRate << 4);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG1_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_XM, temp);
}
void LSM9DS0::setAccelABW(accel_abw abwRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG2_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG2_XM);
	// Then mask out the accel ABW bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 7);
	temp |= (abwRate << 7);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG2_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_XM, temp);
}
void LSM9DS0::setMagODR(mag_odr mRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG5_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG5_XM);
	// Then mask out the mag ODR bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x7 << 2);
	temp |= (mRate << 2);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG5_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_XM, temp);
}

void LSM9DS0::configGyroInt(uint8_t int1Cfg, uint16_t int1ThsX, uint16_t int1ThsY, uint16_t int1ThsZ, uint8_t duration)
{
	gWriteByte(INT1_CFG_G, int1Cfg);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_XH_G, (int1ThsX & 0xFF00) >> 8);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_XL_G, (int1ThsX & 0xFF));
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_YH_G, (int1ThsY & 0xFF00) >> 8);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_YL_G, (int1ThsY & 0xFF));
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_ZH_G, (int1ThsZ & 0xFF00) >> 8);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_ZL_G, (int1ThsZ & 0xFF));
	if (duration)
		gWriteByte(INT1_DURATION_G, 0x80 | duration);
	else
		gWriteByte(INT1_DURATION_G, 0x00);
}

void LSM9DS0::calcgRes()
{
	// Possible gyro scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 245 DPS (00), 500 DPS (01), 2000 DPS (10). Here's a bit of an algorithm
	// to calculate DPS/(ADC tick) based on that 2-bit value:
	switch (gScale)
	{
	case G_SCALE_245DPS:
		gRes = 245.0 / 32768.0;
		break;
	case G_SCALE_500DPS:
		gRes = 500.0 / 32768.0;
		break;
	case G_SCALE_2000DPS:
		gRes = 2000.0 / 32768.0;
		break;
	}
}

void LSM9DS0::calcaRes()
{
	// Possible accelerometer scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 2 g (000), 4g (001), 6g (010) 8g (011), 16g (100). Here's a bit of an 
	// algorithm to calculate g/(ADC tick) based on that 3-bit value:
	aRes = aScale == A_SCALE_16G ? 16.0 / 32768.0 : 
		   (((float) aScale + 1.0) * 2.0) / 32768.0;
}

void LSM9DS0::calcmRes()
{
	// Possible magnetometer scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 2 Gs (00), 4 Gs (01), 8 Gs (10) 12 Gs (11). Here's a bit of an algorithm
	// to calculate Gs/(ADC tick) based on that 2-bit value:
	mRes = mScale == M_SCALE_2GS ? 2.0 / 32768.0 : 
	       (float) (mScale << 2) / 32768.0;
}

void LSM9DS0::gWriteByte(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, write a byte using the
	// gyro-specific I2C address or SPI CS pin.
	if (interfaceMode == MODE_I2C)
		I2CwriteByte(gAddress, subAddress, data);
	else if (interfaceMode == MODE_SPI)
		SPIwriteByte(gAddress, subAddress, data);
}

void LSM9DS0::xmWriteByte(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, write a byte using the
	// accelerometer-specific I2C address or SPI CS pin.
		return I2CwriteByte(xmAddress, subAddress, data);
		return SPIwriteByte(xmAddress, subAddress, data);
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::gReadByte(uint8_t subAddress)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read a byte using the
		return I2CreadByte(gAddress, subAddress);
		return SPIreadByte(gAddress, subAddress);
}

void LSM9DS0::gReadBytes(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read multiple bytes using the
		I2CreadBytes(gAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
		SPIreadBytes(gAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::xmReadByte(uint8_t subAddress)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read a byte using the
		return I2CreadByte(xmAddress, subAddress);
		return SPIreadByte(xmAddress, subAddress);
}

void LSM9DS0::xmReadBytes(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read multiple bytes using the
		I2CreadBytes(xmAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
		SPIreadBytes(xmAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
}

void LSM9DS0::initSPI()
{
	pinMode(gAddress, OUTPUT);
	digitalWrite(gAddress, HIGH);
	pinMode(xmAddress, OUTPUT);
	digitalWrite(xmAddress, HIGH);

SPI.begin();
	// Maximum SPI frequency is 10MHz, could divide by 2 here:
	SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV4);
	// Data is read and written MSb first.
	SPI.setBitOrder(MSBFIRST);
	// Data is captured on rising edge of clock (CPHA = 0)
	// Base value of the clock is HIGH (CPOL = 1)
	SPI.setDataMode(SPI_MODE1);
}

void LSM9DS0::SPIwriteByte(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	digitalWrite(csPin, LOW); // Initiate communication

// If write, bit 0 (MSB) should be 0
	// If single write, bit 1 should be 0
	SPI.transfer(subAddress & 0x3F); // Send Address
	SPI.transfer(data); // Send data

digitalWrite(csPin, HIGH); // Close communication
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::SPIreadByte(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress)
{
	uint8_t temp;
	// Use the multiple read function to read 1 byte. 
	// Value is returned to `temp`.
	SPIreadBytes(csPin, subAddress, &temp, 1);
	return temp;
}

void LSM9DS0::SPIreadBytes(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress,
							uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{
	digitalWrite(csPin, LOW); // Initiate communication
	// To indicate a read, set bit 0 (msb) to 1
	// If we're reading multiple bytes, set bit 1 to 1
	// The remaining six bytes are the address to be read
	if (count > 1)
		SPI.transfer(0xC0 | (subAddress & 0x3F));
	else
		SPI.transfer(0x80 | (subAddress & 0x3F));
	for (int i=0; i<count; i++)
	{
		dest[i] = SPI.transfer(0x00); // Read into destination array
	}
	digitalWrite(csPin, HIGH); // Close communication
}

void LSM9DS0::initI2C()
{
	Wire.begin();	// Initialize I2C library
}

// Wire.h read and write protocols
        void LSM9DS0::I2CwriteByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);  // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);           // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.write(data);                 // Put data in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission();           // Send the Tx buffer
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::I2CreadByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress)
{
	uint8_t data; // `data` will store the register data	 
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);         // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);	                 // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	// Changing from Wire.h to i2c_t3.h requires this to be cast to i2c_stop:
	Wire.endTransmission((i2c_stop)false);             // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	// Changing from Wire.h to i2c_t3.h requires these casts:
	Wire.requestFrom((uint8_t)address, (size_t) 1);  // Read one byte from slave register address 
	data = Wire.read();                      // Fill Rx buffer with result
	return data;                             // Return data read from slave register
}

void LSM9DS0::I2CreadBytes(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{  
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);   // Initialize the Tx buffer
	// Next send the register to be read. OR with 0x80 to indicate multi-read.
	Wire.write(subAddress | 0x80);     // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	// Changing from Wire.h to i2c_t3.h requires this to be cast to i2c_stop:
	Wire.endTransmission((i2c_stop)false);       // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	uint8_t i = 0;
	      // Changing from Wire.h to i2c_t3.h requires these casts:
        Wire.requestFrom((uint8_t) address, (size_t)count);  // Read bytes from slave register address 
	while (Wire.available()) {
        dest[i++] = Wire.read(); }         // Put read results in the Rx buffer
}

I don't have one of the Nokia 5110 displays, so I've removed references to that from the code. All output is via Serial.

It uploads and runs, but stalls in setup() after:
Code:
Serial.println("This is the LSM9DS0...")

Any ideas how to make progress here?

Yes. I uploaded a sketch specifically for this LSM9DS0+MS5637 micro add-on board yesterday. You can find it here. The problem is that the SDA/SCL pins 29/30 require use of the Wire1.begin and Wire1.read calls, etc. from the i2c_t3.h library. The sketch you copied is for the Arduino, or at least for SDA/SCL on pins 18/19 of the Teensy using the standard Wire.h library.

For completeness, this is what you need:

Code:
// Wire1 for using I2C pins 29/30 for Micro Add-On board
void LSM9DS0::initI2C()
{
// Setup for Master mode, pins 29/30, external pullups, 400kHz
Wire1.begin(I2C_MASTER, 0x00, I2C_PINS_29_30, I2C_PULLUP_EXT, I2C_RATE_400);
//Wire.begin();
}
// Wire.h read and write protocols
void LSM9DS0::I2CwriteByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
Wire1.beginTransmission(address); // Initialize the Tx buffer
Wire1.write(subAddress); // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
Wire1.write(data); // Put data in Tx buffer
Wire1.endTransmission(); // Send the Tx buffer
}
uint8_t LSM9DS0::I2CreadByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress)
{
uint8_t data; // `data` will store the register data
Wire1.write(subAddress);	// Put slave register address in Tx buffer
Wire1.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP); // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
// Wire.endTransmission(false); // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
Wire1.requestFrom(address, (size_t) 1); // Read one byte from slave register address
data = Wire1.read(); // Fill Rx buffer with result
return data; // Return data read from slave register
}
void LSM9DS0::I2CreadBytes(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{
// Next send the register to be read. OR with 0x80 to indicate multi-read.
Wire1.write(subAddress | 0x80); // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
Wire1.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP); // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
//Wire.endTransmission(false); // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
uint8_t i = 0;
Wire1.requestFrom(address, (size_t) count); // Read bytes from slave register address
while (Wire1.available()) {
dest[i++] = Wire1.read(); } // Put read results in the Rx buffer
}

Don't bother trying to modify what you have. Instead, please delete the SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp file you have and download the one at the link above. Also, the main sketch at the link above has all you need to get pressure/temperature and altimetery from the MS5637 as well as the 9 DoF sensor fusion from the LSM9DS0. I tested it yesterday so it should work right out of the box.

Please let me know how you like it!

Thanks for the rapid response.

I've downloaded the new SFE_LSM9DS0.h & .cpp files. (Oddly, downloading the zip of the whole LSM9DS0 library doesn't get the newest versions of these.)

I'm using the The i2c_t3 library is also up to date (v6b). The sketch I'm using is the LSM9DS0_MS5637_Micro_Add_On_AHRS.ino with the code to display to the Nokia screen removed:

Code:
/*****************************************************************
LSM9DS0_AHRS.ino
SFE_LSM9DS0 Library AHRS Data Fusion Example Code
Jim Lindblom @ SparkFun Electronics
Original Creation Date: February 18, 2014
https://github.com/sparkfun/LSM9DS0_Breakout

Modified by Kris Winer, April 4, 2014 and September 3, 2014

The LSM9DS0 is a versatile 9DOF sensor. It has a built-in
accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer. Very cool! Plus it
functions over either SPI or I2C.

This Arduino sketch utilizes Jim Lindblom's SFE_LSM9DS0 library to generate the basic sensor data
for use in two sensor fusion algorithms becoming increasingly popular with DIY quadcopter and robotics engineers. 

Like the original LSM9SD0_simple.ino sketch, it'll demo the following:
* How to create a LSM9DS0 object, using a constructor (global
  variables section).
* How to use the begin() function of the LSM9DS0 class.
* How to read the gyroscope, accelerometer, and magnetometer
  using the readGryo(), readAccel(), readMag() functions and the
  gx, gy, gz, ax, ay, az, mx, my, and mz variables.
* How to calculate actual acceleration, rotation speed, magnetic
  field strength using the calcAccel(), calcGyro() and calcMag()
  functions.

In addition, the sketch will demo:
* How to check for data updates using interrupts
* How to display output at a rate different from the sensor data update and fusion filter update rates
* How to specify the accelerometer anti-aliasing (low-pass) filter rate
* How to use the data from the LSM9DS0 to fuse the sensor data into a quaternion representation of the sensor frame
  orientation relative to a fixed Earth frame providing absolute orientation information for subsequent use.
* An example of how to use the quaternion data to generate standard aircraft orientation data in the form of
  Tait-Bryan angles representing the sensor yaw, pitch, and roll angles suitable for any vehicle stablization control application.

But wait, there's more!

* Using the LSM9DS0 + MS5637 Micro Add-On for Teensy 3.1 10 degrees of freedom can be accessed including
  absolute pressure in Pa, temperature in degree Centigrade, and an altitude estimate from these.

* The LSM9DS0 + MS5637 Micro Add-On board mounts onto the back pads of the Teensy 3.1 on pins 23 - 34,
  Utilizing 3V3 + GND, and SCL/SDA there. The interrupt signals are all broken out but avoid pin 33, which is also the EZ Mode Boot pin; if an interrupt is routed to
  this pin 33 it might prevent the Teensy 3.1 from properly reprogramming and booting upon start up. Not good.

Hardware setup: This library supports communicating with the
LSM9DS0 over either I2C or SPI. However, using the LSM9DS0+MS5637 Micro Add-On board 
for Teensy 3.1, I2C is hardwired and SPI cannot be used.
There is only one way to mouunt the board:

LSM9DS0 Micro ----- Teensy 3.1
	 SCL --------------pin 29   SCL
	 SDA --------------pin 30   SDA
	 VDD ------------- pin 34   3V3
	 GND ------------- pin 23   GND
         SDO --------------pin 31  (change address of LSM9DS0)  
         DRDYG-------------pin 24  (gyro data ready interrupt)
         INTG--------------pin 25  (gyro Interrupt)
         DENG--------------pin 26  (allows syncing of gyro and accelerometer)
         INTXM1------------pin 27  (accelerometer data ready interrupt)
         INTXM2------------pin 32  (magnetometer data ready interrupt)

Note: The LSM9DS0_MS5637 Micro Add-On board in the I2C mode uses the Teensy 3.1-only i2c_t3.h Wire library. 

The LSM9DS0 has a maximum voltage of 3.6V. Make sure you power it
off the 3.3V rail! And either use level shifters between SCL
and SDA or just use a 3.3V Arduino Pro.	  

In addition, this sketch uses a Nokia 5110 48 x 84 pixel display which requires 
digital pins 5 - 9 described below. 

Development environment specifics:
	IDE: Teensyduino 1.20
	Hardware Platform: Teensy 3.1
	LSM9DS0 + MS5637 Micro Add-On board v.01
see: https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse/lsm9ds0-teensy-31-micro-shield/

This code is beerware. If you see me (or any other SparkFun 
employee) at the local, and you've found our code helpful, please 
buy us a round!

Distributed as-is; no warranty is given.
*****************************************************************/

// The SFE_LSM9DS0 requires both the SPI and Wire libraries.
// Unfortunately, you'll need to include both in the 
// sketch, before including the SFE_LSM9DS0 library.
#include <SPI.h> 
#include <i2c_t3.h>  // Teensy 3.1-specific  Wire1.h library
#include <SFE_LSM9DS0.h>
#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_PCD8544.h>

// Using NOKIA 5110 monochrome 84 x 48 pixel display
// pin 9 - Serial clock out (SCLK)
// pin 8 - Serial data out (DIN)
// pin 7 - Data/Command select (D/C)
// pin 5 - LCD chip select (CS)
// pin 6 - LCD reset (RST)
Adafruit_PCD8544 display = Adafruit_PCD8544(9, 8, 7, 5, 6);

// See MS5637-02BA03 Low Voltage Barometric Pressure Sensor Data Sheet
#define MS5637_RESET      0x1E
#define MS5637_CONVERT_D1 0x40
#define MS5637_CONVERT_D2 0x50
#define MS5637_ADC_READ   0x00

///////////////////////
// Example I2C Setup //
///////////////////////
#define SDO 1
#if SDO
#define LSM9DS0_XM  0x1D // Would be 0x1D if SDO_XM is HIGH
#define LSM9DS0_G   0x6B // Would be 0x6B if SDO_G is HIGH
#define MS5637_ADDRESS 0x76   // Address of altimeter
#else 
#define LSM9DS0_XM  0x1E // Would be 0x1E if SDO_XM is LOW
#define LSM9DS0_G   0x6A // Would be 0x6A if SDO_G is LOW
#define MS5637_ADDRESS 0x76   // Address of altimeter
#endif

// Create an instance of the LSM9DS0 library called `dof` the
// parameters for this constructor are:
// [SPI or I2C Mode declaration],[gyro I2C address],[xm I2C add.]
LSM9DS0 dof(MODE_I2C, LSM9DS0_G, LSM9DS0_XM);

#define ADC_256  0x00 // define pressure and temperature conversion rates
#define ADC_512  0x02
#define ADC_1024 0x04
#define ADC_2048 0x06
#define ADC_4096 0x08
#define ADC_8192 0x0A
#define ADC_D1   0x40
#define ADC_D2   0x50

// Specify sensor full scale
uint8_t OSR = ADC_8192;     // set pressure amd temperature oversample rate
///////////////////////////////
// Interrupt Pin Definitions //
///////////////////////////////
const byte INT1XM = 27;  // INT1XM tells us when accel data is ready
const byte INT2XM = 32;  // INT2XM tells us when mag data is ready
const byte DRDYG  = 24;  // DRDYG  tells us when gyro data is ready
const byte SDOpin = 31;  // selects either of two I2C addresses
const byte myLed  = 13;  // Teensy 3.1 indicator led

uint16_t Pcal[8];         // calibration constants from MS5637 PROM registers
unsigned char nCRC;       // calculated check sum to ensure PROM integrity
uint32_t D1 = 0, D2 = 0;  // raw MS5637 pressure and temperature data
double dT, OFFSET, SENS, T2, OFFSET2, SENS2;  // First order and second order corrections for raw S5637 temperature and pressure data
double Temperature, Pressure; // stores MS5637 pressures sensor pressure and temperature

// global constants for 9 DoF fusion and AHRS (Attitude and Heading Reference System)
#define GyroMeasError PI * (40.0f / 180.0f)       // gyroscope measurement error in rads/s (shown as 3 deg/s)
#define GyroMeasDrift PI * (1.0f / 180.0f)      // gyroscope measurement drift in rad/s/s (shown as 0.0 deg/s/s)
// There is a tradeoff in the beta parameter between accuracy and response speed.
// In the original Madgwick study, beta of 0.041 (corresponding to GyroMeasError of 2.7 degrees/s) was found to give optimal accuracy.
// However, with this value, the LSM9SD0 response time is about 10 seconds to a stable initial quaternion.
// Subsequent changes also require a longish lag time to a stable output, not fast enough for a quadcopter or robot car!
// By increasing beta (GyroMeasError) by about a factor of fifteen, the response time constant is reduced to ~2 sec
// I haven't noticed any reduction in solution accuracy. This is essentially the I coefficient in a PID control sense; 
// the bigger the feedback coefficient, the faster the solution converges, usually at the expense of accuracy. 
// In any case, this is the free parameter in the Madgwick filtering and fusion scheme.
#define beta sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasError   // compute beta
#define zeta sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasDrift   // compute zeta, the other free parameter in the Madgwick scheme usually set to a small or zero value
#define Kp 2.0f * 5.0f // these are the free parameters in the Mahony filter and fusion scheme, Kp for proportional feedback, Ki for integral
#define Ki 0.0f

uint32_t count = 0;  // used to control display output rate
uint32_t delt_t = 0; // used to control display output rate
float pitch, yaw, roll, heading;
float deltat = 0.0f, sum = 0.0f;        // integration interval for both filter schemes
uint32_t lastUpdate = 0, sumCount = 0;  // used to calculate integration interval
uint32_t Now = 0;                       // used to calculate integration interval

float abias[3] = {0, 0, 0}, gbias[3] = {0, 0, 0};
float ax, ay, az, gx, gy, gz, mx, my, mz; // variables to hold latest sensor data values 
float q[4] = {1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};    // vector to hold quaternion
float eInt[3] = {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};       // vector to hold integral error for Mahony method
float temperature;

void setup()
{
  delay(5000);
  Serial.begin(38400); // Start serial at 38400 bps

// Set up interrupt pins as inputs:
  pinMode(INT1XM, INPUT);
  pinMode(INT2XM, INPUT);
  pinMode(DRDYG,  INPUT);
  pinMode(SDOpin,   OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(SDOpin, SDO);
  pinMode(myLed,   OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(myLed, HIGH);

Serial.println("This is the LSM9DS0...");

// begin() returns a 16-bit value which includes both the gyro 
  // and accelerometers WHO_AM_I response. You can check this to
  // make sure communication was successful.
  uint32_t status = dof.begin();

Serial.print("LSM9DS0 WHO_AM_I's returned: 0x");
  Serial.println(status, HEX);
  Serial.println("Should be 0x49D4");
  Serial.println();
  delay(5000); 

// Set data output ranges; choose lowest ranges for maximum resolution
 // Accelerometer scale can be: A_SCALE_2G, A_SCALE_4G, A_SCALE_6G, A_SCALE_8G, or A_SCALE_16G   
    dof.setAccelScale(dof.A_SCALE_2G);
 // Gyro scale can be:  G_SCALE__245, G_SCALE__500, or G_SCALE__2000DPS
    dof.setGyroScale(dof.G_SCALE_245DPS);
 // Magnetometer scale can be: M_SCALE_2GS, M_SCALE_4GS, M_SCALE_8GS, M_SCALE_12GS   
    dof.setMagScale(dof.M_SCALE_2GS);

// Set output data rates  
 // Accelerometer output data rate (ODR) can be: A_ODR_3125 (3.225 Hz), A_ODR_625 (6.25 Hz), A_ODR_125 (12.5 Hz), A_ODR_25, A_ODR_50, 
 //                                              A_ODR_100,  A_ODR_200, A_ODR_400, A_ODR_800, A_ODR_1600 (1600 Hz)
    dof.setAccelODR(dof.A_ODR_200); // Set accelerometer update rate at 100 Hz
 // Accelerometer anti-aliasing filter rate can be 50, 194, 362, or 763 Hz
 // Anti-aliasing acts like a low-pass filter allowing oversampling of accelerometer and rejection of high-frequency spurious noise.
 // Strategy here is to effectively oversample accelerometer at 100 Hz and use a 50 Hz anti-aliasing (low-pass) filter frequency
 // to get a smooth ~150 Hz filter update rate
    dof.setAccelABW(dof.A_ABW_50); // Choose lowest filter setting for low noise

// Gyro output data rates can be: 95 Hz (bandwidth 12.5 or 25 Hz), 190 Hz (bandwidth 12.5, 25, 50, or 70 Hz)
 //                                 380 Hz (bandwidth 20, 25, 50, 100 Hz), or 760 Hz (bandwidth 30, 35, 50, 100 Hz)
    dof.setGyroODR(dof.G_ODR_190_BW_125);  // Set gyro update rate to 190 Hz with the smallest bandwidth for low noise

// Magnetometer output data rate can be: 3.125 (ODR_3125), 6.25 (ODR_625), 12.5 (ODR_125), 25, 50, or 100 Hz
    dof.setMagODR(dof.M_ODR_125); // Set magnetometer to update every 80 ms

// Use the FIFO mode to average accelerometer and gyro readings to calculate the biases, which can then be removed from
 // all subsequent measurements.
    dof.calLSM9DS0(gbias, abias);

// Reset the MS5637 pressure sensor
  MS5637Reset();
  delay(100);
  Serial.println("MS5637 pressure sensor reset...");
  // Read PROM data from MS5637 pressure sensor
  MS5637PromRead(Pcal);
  Serial.println("PROM data read:");
  Serial.print("C0 = "); Serial.println(Pcal[0]);
  unsigned char refCRC = Pcal[0] >> 12;
  Serial.print("C1 = "); Serial.println(Pcal[1]);
  Serial.print("C2 = "); Serial.println(Pcal[2]);
  Serial.print("C3 = "); Serial.println(Pcal[3]);
  Serial.print("C4 = "); Serial.println(Pcal[4]);
  Serial.print("C5 = "); Serial.println(Pcal[5]);
  Serial.print("C6 = "); Serial.println(Pcal[6]);

nCRC = MS5637checkCRC(Pcal);  //calculate checksum to ensure integrity of MS5637 calibration data
  Serial.print("Checksum = "); Serial.print(nCRC); Serial.print(" , should be "); Serial.println(refCRC);  

delay(1000);  
}

void loop()
{
  if(digitalRead(DRDYG)) {  // When new gyro data is ready
  dof.readGyro();           // Read raw gyro data
    gx = dof.calcGyro(dof.gx) - gbias[0];   // Convert to degrees per seconds, remove gyro biases
    gy = dof.calcGyro(dof.gy) - gbias[1];
    gz = dof.calcGyro(dof.gz) - gbias[2];
  }

if(digitalRead(INT1XM)) {  // When new accelerometer data is ready
    dof.readAccel();         // Read raw accelerometer data
    ax = dof.calcAccel(dof.ax) - abias[0];   // Convert to g's, remove accelerometer biases
    ay = dof.calcAccel(dof.ay) - abias[1];
    az = dof.calcAccel(dof.az) - abias[2];
  }

if(digitalRead(INT2XM)) {  // When new magnetometer data is ready
    dof.readMag();           // Read raw magnetometer data
    mx = dof.calcMag(dof.mx);     // Convert to Gauss and correct for calibration
    my = dof.calcMag(dof.my);
    mz = dof.calcMag(dof.mz);
  }

Now = micros();
  deltat = ((Now - lastUpdate)/1000000.0f); // set integration time by time elapsed since last filter update
  lastUpdate = Now; 

sum += deltat;
    sumCount++;

// Sensors x- and y-axes are aligned but magnetometer z-axis (+ down) is opposite to z-axis (+ up) of accelerometer and gyro!
  // This is ok by aircraft orientation standards!  
  // Pass gyro rate as rad/s
   MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(ax, ay, az, gx*PI/180.0f, gy*PI/180.0f, gz*PI/180.0f, mx, my, mz);
// MahonyQuaternionUpdate(ax, ay, az, gx*PI/180.0f, gy*PI/180.0f, gz*PI/180.0f, mx, my, mz);

// Serial print and/or display at 0.5 s rate independent of data rates
    delt_t = millis() - count;
    if (delt_t > 500) { // update LCD once per half-second independent of read rate

D1 = MS5637Read(ADC_D1, OSR);  // get raw pressure value
    D2 = MS5637Read(ADC_D2, OSR);  // get raw temperature value
    dT = D2 - Pcal[5]*pow(2,8);    // calculate temperature difference from reference
    OFFSET = Pcal[2]*pow(2, 17) + dT*Pcal[4]/pow(2,6);
    SENS = Pcal[1]*pow(2,16) + dT*Pcal[3]/pow(2,7);

Temperature = (2000 + (dT*Pcal[6])/pow(2, 23))/100;           // First-order Temperature in degrees Centigrade
//
// Second order corrections
    if(Temperature > 20) 
    {
      T2 = 5*dT*dT/pow(2, 38); // correction for high temperatures
      OFFSET2 = 0;
      SENS2 = 0;
    }
    if(Temperature < 20)                   // correction for low temperature
    {
      T2      = 3*dT*dT/pow(2, 33); 
      OFFSET2 = 61*(Temperature - 2000)*(Temperature - 2000)/16;
      SENS2   = 29*(Temperature - 2000)*(Temperature - 2000)/16;
    } 
    if(Temperature < -15)                      // correction for very low temperature
    {
      OFFSET2 = OFFSET2 + 17*(Temperature + 1500)*(Temperature + 1500);
      SENS2 = SENS2 + 9*(Temperature + 1500)*(Temperature + 1500);
    }
 // End of second order corrections
 //
     Temperature = Temperature - T2;
     OFFSET = OFFSET - OFFSET2;
     SENS = SENS - SENS2;

Pressure = (((D1*SENS)/pow(2, 21) - OFFSET)/pow(2, 15))/100;  // Pressure in mbar or kPa

const int station_elevation_m = 1050.0*0.3048; // Accurate for the roof on my house; convert from feet to meters

float baroin = Pressure; // pressure is now in millibars

// Formula to correct absolute pressure in millbars to "altimeter pressure" in inches of mercury 
    // comparable to weather report pressure
    float part1 = baroin - 0.3; //Part 1 of formula
    const float part2 = 0.0000842288;
    float part3 = pow(part1, 0.190284);
    float part4 = (float)station_elevation_m / part3;
    float part5 = (1.0 + (part2 * part4));
    float part6 = pow(part5, 5.2553026);
    float altimeter_setting_pressure_mb = part1 * part6; // Output is now in adjusted millibars
    baroin = altimeter_setting_pressure_mb * 0.02953;

float altitude = 145366.45*(1. - pow((Pressure/1013.25), 0.190284));

Serial.print("Digital temperature value = "); Serial.print( (float)Temperature, 2); Serial.println(" C"); // temperature in degrees Celsius
    Serial.print("Digital temperature value = "); Serial.print(9.*(float) Temperature/5. + 32., 2); Serial.println(" F"); // temperature in degrees Fahrenheit
    Serial.print("Digital pressure value = "); Serial.print((float) Pressure, 2);  Serial.println(" mbar");// pressure in millibar
    Serial.print("Altitude = "); Serial.print(altitude, 2); Serial.println(" feet");

// Print the heading and orientation for fun!
    printHeading(mx, my);
    printOrientation(ax, ay, az);

// Define output variables from updated quaternion---these are Tait-Bryan angles, commonly used in aircraft orientation.
  // In this coordinate system, the positive z-axis is down toward Earth. 
  // Yaw is the angle between Sensor x-axis and Earth magnetic North (or true North if corrected for local declination), 
  // looking down on the sensor positive yaw is counterclockwise.
  // Pitch is angle between sensor x-axis and Earth ground plane, toward the Earth is positive, up toward the sky is negative.
  // Roll is angle between sensor y-axis and Earth ground plane, y-axis up is positive roll.
  // These arise from the definition of the homogeneous rotation matrix constructed from quaternions.
  // Tait-Bryan angles as well as Euler angles are non-commutative; that is, to get the correct orientation the rotations must be
  // applied in the correct order which for this configuration is yaw, pitch, and then roll.
  // For more see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_between_quaternions_and_Euler_angles which has additional links.
    yaw   = atan2(2.0f * (q[1] * q[2] + q[0] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] + q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] - q[3] * q[3]);   
    pitch = -asin(2.0f * (q[1] * q[3] - q[0] * q[2]));
    roll  = atan2(2.0f * (q[0] * q[1] + q[2] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] - q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] + q[3] * q[3]);
    pitch *= 180.0f / PI;
    yaw   *= 180.0f / PI; 
    yaw   -= 13.8; // Declination at Danville, California is 13 degrees 48 minutes and 47 seconds on 2014-04-04
    roll  *= 180.0f / PI;

Serial.print("ax = "); Serial.print((int)1000*ax);  
    Serial.print(" ay = "); Serial.print((int)1000*ay); 
    Serial.print(" az = "); Serial.print((int)1000*az); Serial.println(" mg");
    Serial.print("gx = "); Serial.print( gx, 2); 
    Serial.print(" gy = "); Serial.print( gy, 2); 
    Serial.print(" gz = "); Serial.print( gz, 2); Serial.println(" deg/s");
    Serial.print("mx = "); Serial.print( (int)1000*mx); 
    Serial.print(" my = "); Serial.print( (int)1000*my); 
    Serial.print(" mz = "); Serial.print( (int)1000*mz); Serial.println(" mG");

dof.readTemp();  // get gyro temperature
    temperature = 21.0 + (float) dof.temperature/8.; // slope is 8 LSB per degree C, just guessing at the intercept
    Serial.print("gyro temperature = "); Serial.println(temperature, 2);

Serial.print("Yaw, Pitch, Roll: ");
    Serial.print(yaw, 2);
    Serial.print(", ");
    Serial.print(pitch, 2);
    Serial.print(", ");
    Serial.println(roll, 2);

Serial.print("q0 = "); Serial.print(q[0]);
    Serial.print(" qx = "); Serial.print(q[1]); 
    Serial.print(" qy = "); Serial.print(q[2]); 
    Serial.print(" qz = "); Serial.println(q[3]); 

Serial.print("filter rate = "); Serial.println((float) sumCount/sum, 1);

// With ODR settings of 400 Hz, 380 Hz, and 25 Hz for the accelerometer, gyro, and magnetometer, respectively,
    // the filter is updating at a ~125 Hz rate using the Madgwick scheme and ~165 Hz using the Mahony scheme 
    // even though the display refreshes at only 2 Hz.
    // The filter update rate can be increased by reducing the rate of data reading. The optimal implementation is
    // one which balances the competing rates so they are about the same; that is, the filter updates the sensor orientation
    // at about the same rate the data is changing. Of course, other implementations are possible. One might consider
    // updating the filter at twice the average new data rate to allow for finite filter convergence times.
    // The filter update rate is determined mostly by the mathematical steps in the respective algorithms, 
    // the processor speed (8 MHz for the 3.3V Pro Mini), and the sensor ODRs, especially the magnetometer ODR:
    // smaller ODRs for the magnetometer produce the above rates, maximum magnetometer ODR of 100 Hz produces
    // filter update rates of ~110 and ~135 Hz for the Madgwick and Mahony schemes, respectively. 
    // This is presumably because the magnetometer read takes longer than the gyro or accelerometer reads.
    // With low ODR settings of 100 Hz, 95 Hz, and 6.25 Hz for the accelerometer, gyro, and magnetometer, respectively,
    // the filter is updating at a ~150 Hz rate using the Madgwick scheme and ~200 Hz using the Mahony scheme.
    // These filter update rates should be fast enough to maintain accurate platform orientation for 
    // stabilization control of a fast-moving robot or quadcopter. Compare to the update rate of 200 Hz
    // produced by the on-board Digital Motion Processor of Invensense's MPU6050 6 DoF and MPU9150 9DoF sensors.
    // The 3.3 V 8 MHz Pro Mini is doing pretty well!

digitalWrite(myLed, !digitalRead(myLed)); // toggle led
    count = millis();
    sum = 0;
    sumCount = 0;
    }
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Useful functions
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// I2C communication with the MS5637 is a little different from that with the MPU9250 and most other sensors
// For the MS5637, we write commands, and the MS5637 sends data in response, rather than directly reading
// MS5637 registers

void MS5637Reset()
        {
         Wire1.beginTransmission(MS5637_ADDRESS);  // Initialize the Tx buffer
	 Wire1.write(MS5637_RESET);                // Put reset command in Tx buffer
	 Wire1.endTransmission();                  // Send the Tx buffer
        }

void MS5637PromRead(uint16_t * destination)
        {
        uint8_t data[2] = {0,0};
        for (uint8_t ii = 0; ii < 7; ii++) {
           Wire1.write(0xA0 | ii << 1);              // Put PROM address in Tx buffer
           Wire1.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP);        // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	  uint8_t i = 0;
           Wire1.requestFrom(MS5637_ADDRESS, 2);   // Read two bytes from slave PROM address 
	  while ( Wire1.available()) {
          data[i++] =  Wire1.read(); }               // Put read results in the Rx buffer
          destination[ii] = (uint16_t) (((uint16_t) data[0] << 8) | data[1]); // construct PROM data for return to main program
        }
        }

uint32_t MS5637Read(uint8_t CMD, uint8_t OSR)  // temperature data read
        {
        uint8_t data[3] = {0,0,0};
         Wire1.write(CMD | OSR);                  // Put pressure conversion command in Tx buffer
         Wire1.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP);        // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive

switch (OSR)
        {
          case ADC_256: delay(1); break;  // delay for conversion to complete
          case ADC_512: delay(3); break;
          case ADC_1024: delay(4); break;
          case ADC_2048: delay(6); break;
          case ADC_4096: delay(10); break;
          case ADC_8192: delay(20); break;
        }

Wire1.write(0x00);                        // Put ADC read command in Tx buffer
	uint8_t i = 0;
         Wire1.requestFrom(MS5637_ADDRESS, 3);     // Read three bytes from slave PROM address 
	while ( Wire1.available()) {
        data[i++] =  Wire1.read(); }               // Put read results in the Rx buffer
        return (uint32_t) (((uint32_t) data[0] << 16) | (uint32_t) data[1] << 8 | data[2]); // construct PROM data for return to main program
        }

unsigned char MS5637checkCRC(uint16_t * n_prom)  // calculate checksum from PROM register contents
{
  int cnt;
  unsigned int n_rem = 0;
  unsigned char n_bit;

n_prom[0] = ((n_prom[0]) & 0x0FFF);  // replace CRC byte by 0 for checksum calculation
  n_prom[7] = 0;
  for(cnt = 0; cnt < 16; cnt++)
  {
    if(cnt%2==1) n_rem ^= (unsigned short) ((n_prom[cnt>>1]) & 0x00FF);
    else         n_rem ^= (unsigned short)  (n_prom[cnt>>1]>>8);
    for(n_bit = 8; n_bit > 0; n_bit--)
    {
        if(n_rem & 0x8000)    n_rem = (n_rem<<1) ^ 0x3000;
        else                  n_rem = (n_rem<<1);
    }
  }
  n_rem = ((n_rem>>12) & 0x000F);
  return (n_rem ^ 0x00);
}

// Here's a fun function to calculate your heading, using Earth's
// magnetic field.
// It only works if the sensor is flat (z-axis normal to Earth).
// Additionally, you may need to add or subtract a declination
// angle to get the heading normalized to your location.
// See: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/declination.shtml
void printHeading(float hx, float hy)
{
  if (hy > 0)
  {
    heading = 90 - (atan(hx / hy) * (180 / PI));
  }
  else if (hy < 0)
  {
    heading = - (atan(hx / hy) * (180 / PI));
  }
  else // hy = 0
  {
    if (hx < 0) heading = 180;
    else heading = 0;
  }

Serial.print("Heading: ");
  Serial.println(heading, 2);
}

// Another fun function that does calculations based on the
// acclerometer data. This function will print your LSM9DS0's
// orientation -- it's roll and pitch angles.
void printOrientation(float x, float y, float z)
{
 // float pitch, roll;

pitch = atan2(x, sqrt(y * y) + (z * z));
  roll = atan2(y, sqrt(x * x) + (z * z));
  pitch *= 180.0 / PI;
  roll *= 180.0 / PI;

Serial.print("Pitch, Roll: ");
  Serial.print(pitch, 2);
  Serial.print(", ");
  Serial.println(roll, 2);
}

// Implementation of Sebastian Madgwick's "...efficient orientation filter for... inertial/magnetic sensor arrays"
// (see http://www.x-io.co.uk/category/open-source/ for examples and more details)
// which fuses acceleration, rotation rate, and magnetic moments to produce a quaternion-based estimate of absolute
// device orientation -- which can be converted to yaw, pitch, and roll. Useful for stabilizing quadcopters, etc.
// The performance of the orientation filter is at least as good as conventional Kalman-based filtering algorithms
// but is much less computationally intensive---it can be performed on a 3.3 V Pro Mini operating at 8 MHz!
        void MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(float ax, float ay, float az, float gx, float gy, float gz, float mx, float my, float mz)
        {
            float q1 = q[0], q2 = q[1], q3 = q[2], q4 = q[3];   // short name local variable for readability
            float norm;
            float hx, hy, _2bx, _2bz;
            float s1, s2, s3, s4;
            float qDot1, qDot2, qDot3, qDot4;

// Auxiliary variables to avoid repeated arithmetic
            float _2q1mx;
            float _2q1my;
            float _2q1mz;
            float _2q2mx;
            float _4bx;
            float _4bz;
            float _2q1 = 2.0f * q1;
            float _2q2 = 2.0f * q2;
            float _2q3 = 2.0f * q3;
            float _2q4 = 2.0f * q4;
            float _2q1q3 = 2.0f * q1 * q3;
            float _2q3q4 = 2.0f * q3 * q4;
            float q1q1 = q1 * q1;
            float q1q2 = q1 * q2;
            float q1q3 = q1 * q3;
            float q1q4 = q1 * q4;
            float q2q2 = q2 * q2;
            float q2q3 = q2 * q3;
            float q2q4 = q2 * q4;
            float q3q3 = q3 * q3;
            float q3q4 = q3 * q4;
            float q4q4 = q4 * q4;

// Normalise accelerometer measurement
            norm = sqrt(ax * ax + ay * ay + az * az);
            if (norm == 0.0f) return; // handle NaN
            norm = 1.0f/norm;
            ax *= norm;
            ay *= norm;
            az *= norm;

// Normalise magnetometer measurement
            norm = sqrt(mx * mx + my * my + mz * mz);
            norm = 1.0f/norm;
            mx *= norm;
            my *= norm;
            mz *= norm;

// Reference direction of Earth's magnetic field
            _2q1mx = 2.0f * q1 * mx;
            _2q1my = 2.0f * q1 * my;
            _2q1mz = 2.0f * q1 * mz;
            _2q2mx = 2.0f * q2 * mx;
            hx = mx * q1q1 - _2q1my * q4 + _2q1mz * q3 + mx * q2q2 + _2q2 * my * q3 + _2q2 * mz * q4 - mx * q3q3 - mx * q4q4;
            hy = _2q1mx * q4 + my * q1q1 - _2q1mz * q2 + _2q2mx * q3 - my * q2q2 + my * q3q3 + _2q3 * mz * q4 - my * q4q4;
            _2bx = sqrt(hx * hx + hy * hy);
            _2bz = -_2q1mx * q3 + _2q1my * q2 + mz * q1q1 + _2q2mx * q4 - mz * q2q2 + _2q3 * my * q4 - mz * q3q3 + mz * q4q4;
            _4bx = 2.0f * _2bx;
            _4bz = 2.0f * _2bz;

// Gradient decent algorithm corrective step
            s1 = -_2q3 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q2 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) - _2bz * q3 * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (-_2bx * q4 + _2bz * q2) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + _2bx * q3 * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
            s2 = _2q4 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q1 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) - 4.0f * q2 * (1.0f - 2.0f * q2q2 - 2.0f * q3q3 - az) + _2bz * q4 * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (_2bx * q3 + _2bz * q1) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + (_2bx * q4 - _4bz * q2) * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
            s3 = -_2q1 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q4 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) - 4.0f * q3 * (1.0f - 2.0f * q2q2 - 2.0f * q3q3 - az) + (-_4bx * q3 - _2bz * q1) * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (_2bx * q2 + _2bz * q4) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + (_2bx * q1 - _4bz * q3) * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
            s4 = _2q2 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q3 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) + (-_4bx * q4 + _2bz * q2) * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (-_2bx * q1 + _2bz * q3) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + _2bx * q2 * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
            norm = sqrt(s1 * s1 + s2 * s2 + s3 * s3 + s4 * s4);    // normalise step magnitude
            norm = 1.0f/norm;
            s1 *= norm;
            s2 *= norm;
            s3 *= norm;
            s4 *= norm;

// Compute rate of change of quaternion
            qDot1 = 0.5f * (-q2 * gx - q3 * gy - q4 * gz) - beta * s1;
            qDot2 = 0.5f * (q1 * gx + q3 * gz - q4 * gy) - beta * s2;
            qDot3 = 0.5f * (q1 * gy - q2 * gz + q4 * gx) - beta * s3;
            qDot4 = 0.5f * (q1 * gz + q2 * gy - q3 * gx) - beta * s4;

// Integrate to yield quaternion
            q1 += qDot1 * deltat;
            q2 += qDot2 * deltat;
            q3 += qDot3 * deltat;
            q4 += qDot4 * deltat;
            norm = sqrt(q1 * q1 + q2 * q2 + q3 * q3 + q4 * q4);    // normalise quaternion
            norm = 1.0f/norm;
            q[0] = q1 * norm;
            q[1] = q2 * norm;
            q[2] = q3 * norm;
            q[3] = q4 * norm;

}

// Similar to Madgwick scheme but uses proportional and integral filtering on the error between estimated reference vectors and
 // measured ones. 
            void MahonyQuaternionUpdate(float ax, float ay, float az, float gx, float gy, float gz, float mx, float my, float mz)
        {
            float q1 = q[0], q2 = q[1], q3 = q[2], q4 = q[3];   // short name local variable for readability
            float norm;
            float hx, hy, bx, bz;
            float vx, vy, vz, wx, wy, wz;
            float ex, ey, ez;
            float pa, pb, pc;

// Auxiliary variables to avoid repeated arithmetic
            float q1q1 = q1 * q1;
            float q1q2 = q1 * q2;
            float q1q3 = q1 * q3;
            float q1q4 = q1 * q4;
            float q2q2 = q2 * q2;
            float q2q3 = q2 * q3;
            float q2q4 = q2 * q4;
            float q3q3 = q3 * q3;
            float q3q4 = q3 * q4;
            float q4q4 = q4 * q4;   

// Normalise accelerometer measurement
            norm = sqrt(ax * ax + ay * ay + az * az);
            norm = 1.0f / norm;        // use reciprocal for division
            ax *= norm;
            ay *= norm;
            az *= norm;

// Normalise magnetometer measurement
            norm = sqrt(mx * mx + my * my + mz * mz);
            norm = 1.0f / norm;        // use reciprocal for division
            mx *= norm;
            my *= norm;
            mz *= norm;

// Reference direction of Earth's magnetic field
            hx = 2.0f * mx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + 2.0f * my * (q2q3 - q1q4) + 2.0f * mz * (q2q4 + q1q3);
            hy = 2.0f * mx * (q2q3 + q1q4) + 2.0f * my * (0.5f - q2q2 - q4q4) + 2.0f * mz * (q3q4 - q1q2);
            bx = sqrt((hx * hx) + (hy * hy));
            bz = 2.0f * mx * (q2q4 - q1q3) + 2.0f * my * (q3q4 + q1q2) + 2.0f * mz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3);

// Estimated direction of gravity and magnetic field
            vx = 2.0f * (q2q4 - q1q3);
            vy = 2.0f * (q1q2 + q3q4);
            vz = q1q1 - q2q2 - q3q3 + q4q4;
            wx = 2.0f * bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + 2.0f * bz * (q2q4 - q1q3);
            wy = 2.0f * bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + 2.0f * bz * (q1q2 + q3q4);
            wz = 2.0f * bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + 2.0f * bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3);  

// Error is cross product between estimated direction and measured direction of gravity
            ex = (ay * vz - az * vy) + (my * wz - mz * wy);
            ey = (az * vx - ax * vz) + (mz * wx - mx * wz);
            ez = (ax * vy - ay * vx) + (mx * wy - my * wx);
            if (Ki > 0.0f)
            {
                eInt[0] += ex;      // accumulate integral error
                eInt[1] += ey;
                eInt[2] += ez;
            }
            else
            {
                eInt[0] = 0.0f;     // prevent integral wind up
                eInt[1] = 0.0f;
                eInt[2] = 0.0f;
            }

// Apply feedback terms
            gx = gx + Kp * ex + Ki * eInt[0];
            gy = gy + Kp * ey + Ki * eInt[1];
            gz = gz + Kp * ez + Ki * eInt[2];

// Integrate rate of change of quaternion
            pa = q2;
            pb = q3;
            pc = q4;
            q1 = q1 + (-q2 * gx - q3 * gy - q4 * gz) * (0.5f * deltat);
            q2 = pa + (q1 * gx + pb * gz - pc * gy) * (0.5f * deltat);
            q3 = pb + (q1 * gy - pa * gz + pc * gx) * (0.5f * deltat);
            q4 = pc + (q1 * gz + pa * gy - pb * gx) * (0.5f * deltat);

// Normalise quaternion
            norm = sqrt(q1 * q1 + q2 * q2 + q3 * q3 + q4 * q4);
            norm = 1.0f / norm;
            q[0] = q1 * norm;
            q[1] = q2 * norm;
            q[2] = q3 * norm;
            q[3] = q4 * norm;

}

And it compiles and uploads without error, but there is no response on the Serial monitor.

I've also downloaded the Adafruit_GFX.h and Adafruit_PCD8544.h libraries are tried using the main sketch (https://github.com/kriswiner/LSM9DS...roShield/LSM9DS0_MS5637_Micro_Add_On_AHRS.ino). Same result.

I have one of the boards without the MS5637 sensor. Could that be the issue?

If you have one of the boards without the MS5637 pressure sensor this is an issue for proper data return, but you should still get a return of the WHO_AM_I register contents. I just tested the same (sans MS5637) LSM9DS0 board which is soldered to the pads of a Teensy 3.1 with this sketch and it "works". That is, it reports the proper LSM9DS0 WHO_AM_I register contents, reports zeros for all the MS5637 pressure sensor reads and reports intelligible gyro and mag data but not the accel data since I moved that interrupt pin to pin 27 from pin 33 on the new redesigned board which this sketch is written for. Pin 33 is bad mojo, I hope you did not solder the board to this pad. But even this would only affect the Teensy 3.1 boot up.

Did you verify that you are using the correct Wire1.begin(I2C_MASTER, 0x00, I2C_PINS_29_30, I2C_PULLUP_EXT, I2C_RATE_400) call and Wire1.reads/writes, etc?

There are multiple versions of the .cpp file for each of the various i2c ports available on the Teensy 3.1 and for using Wire.h on the Arduino. They are not all the same and I probably should have labeled them slightly differently. You definitely need to verify that the Wire.begin and Wire.read etc is configured properly for the i2c port you are using. In this case, since you are using the i2c port on pins 29/30 you MUST use Wire1 and not Wire.

Do you have pull up resistors? If this is the only I2C device in your circuit, you will have to close the solder junction on the board to enable the 10K pullup resistors.

I would recommend that you construct a simple test file that only reads the LSM9DS0 WHO_AM_I register. You should be able to verify that 0x49 and 0xD4 for the gyro and accel/mag, respectively is returned.

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back