9- and 10-DoF LSM9DS0 shield for Teensy 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can see the entire selection at tindie.com by searching onehorse. I have MPU9250+MS5637 and LSM9DS0+MS5637micro boards available, fully tested and guaranteed to work. However, I would recommend you test them yourself before you solder them to satisfy yourself that they do indeed work. This can be done by clipping spring-loaded test connectors to the castellated pads; I do this on all of the micro boards to verify proper function before shipping. Then, of course, do not solder pin 33 on the Teensy. I don't know what happened to your last attempt to use these micro boards, but normally careful soldering should allow you to use them as intended. If you want to stay away from the micro boards, I have MPU9250, LSM9DS0, LSM9Ds1, MAX21100, BMX055 and (in December) BNO-055 mini sensor boards available all with some kind of pressure sensor.

What is you application, perhaps I can make a suggestion?

Thanks. The application is for a motorcycle - acceleration, lean angle, compass. I probably bodged something on the last one, plus I soldered pin 33.

If you want to get absolute orientation, any of the 9-axis sensor solutions will do. I would recommend you start with the MPU9250 mini add-on. It's the least expensive, can be soldered to the top or bottom of the Teensy, leaves the SPI pins free, and works very well with the open-source sensor fusion algorithms after calibration. You can also solder female headers onto the mini add-on board so it can be put on/taken off the Teesny in case you want to separately test it or the Teensy, etc. Once you are satisfied with the performance/suitability you could solder on the mini add-on board for a more permanent installation.

At the other end of the spectrum is the BNO-055. It has an embedded Cortex M0 processor along with Bosch's flagship BMX-055 9-axis motion sensor and does the Kalman-filter-based sensor fusion in hardware. No muss no fuss. In my limited testing the heading is rock-solid stable and responds at 300- 400 Hz depending on what other tasks the Teensy is being asked to do. It is a bit more expensive and the chip is currently unavailable until December 10.

These all have pressure/temperature sensors and I am not quite sure whether there is any value from these for your application. Although you can get a pretty good estimate of relative altitude (with a resolution of ~10 cm) from the pressure sensor, which provides more spatial information. But it prevents the encapsulation of the sensor board/Teensy in shrink wrap unless you take care to allow some path for air pressure equilibration. I suppose you will need to protect the electronics somehow from the elements. Maybe protecting some of the components separately rather than a hermetically-sealed enclosure would work.

Hi onehorse,
I have a similar problem, but in reverse. I had my Teensy 3.1 working with the LSM9DS0 module on pins 18/19 producing OK outputs for all three sensors. Only problem being I could not get Yaw to zero. Then I updated myself out of any sensor output. I have the latest i2c_t3 library, and a partially working SFE_LSM9DS0 library that gives the right response to 'I should be'. The loop runs, the LED blinks, but no sensor output. Reading your post above I replaced Wire.begin() with Wire.begin(I2C_MASTER, 0x00, I2C_PINS_18_19, I2C_PULLUP_EXT, I2C_RATE_400) in SFE_LSMDS0.cpp. Now I do not get a response to 'I should be'. I'm going backwards! so is there a version of the SFE_LSMDS0 library, that works with i2c_t3 V6b, for pins 18/19, and where do I get it?
Thanks John

Hi John! Using i2c_t3.h has a few pitfalls for newcomers. I also have found Jim Lindblom's other wise excellent LSM9DS0 library different enough in style to the simple sketches I prefer that I just wrote my own, which you can find here. This sketch worked last week with the latest version of i23_t3.h that I downloaded a few months ago. At least you can check whether it is the sketch or the Wire library that is causing your trouble.

Hello Onehorse, Nice work ! Are you interested in selling the 9DSO boards ? If so would you load/solder or just sell the boards ? I am about to release a 9DSO sensor board my self but it might be a cost savings to leverage yours.
Regards,
Brian

And another comment: Your getHub write up is nicely done. I have been using ST 6ODF compass with an invensense gyro and now must switch to ST 9DOF to keep a tiny product current. Your description solidified my decision.

I'm using the LSM9DS0 micro-shield and having problems with compiling the example code.

I have a clean and recent install of the LSM9DS0 library from https://github.com/kriswiner/LSM9DS0. Trying to compile the LSM9DS0\Teensy3.1\MicroShield\LSM9DS0_MS5637_Micro_Add_On_AHRS example gives me:

C:\Users\Jez\Documents\Making\workspace\libraries\LSM9DS0\SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp:25:50: fatal error: Wire.h: No such file or directory
#include <Wire.h> // Wire library is used for I2C

First problem, I think: The compile is trying to use the wrong SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp. The #include <SFE_LSM9DS0.h> statement is calling up the SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp in the LSM9DS0\ directory, not the LSM9DS0\Teensy3.1\MicroShield\ directory.

It needs to use the different SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp file. The LSM9DS0_MS5637_Micro_Add_On_AHRS sketch uses the i2c_t3 library, not Wire.h. The copy of SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp in the LSM9DS0\Teensy3.1\MicroShield\ directory also uses the i2c_t3 library and Wire1, so that it can make use of the microshield on second I2C bus (pins 29 & 30). So this should work, if the compile finds the correct version of SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp.

Second problem - I don't know why the LSM9DS0\SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp isn't finding Wire.h. Other sketches using Wire.h work just fine, with no compile problems and communication to external devices over I2C, so I don't think there's a problem with that.

Does anyone else have this problem? What's the cause? And how can I fix this?

I don't know why the compiler can't find Wire.h.

What I usually do if I am going to use Sparkfun's excellent library is change the Wire.begin and Wire.write calls in the .cpp file before I compile. That is, I have one and only one of these in my Teensiduino folder and mod to fit. On the other hand, the Sparkfun traditional C program construction is difficult to navigate and modify I find, so I just wrote my own more Arduino-like single file sketch where I know where everything is and what everything does. That's what I usually use. You can see it here:. Yes, you will have to change Wire.begin to Wire1.begin, etc, but this is straightforward and no pesky .cpp file to call!

Sorry, now I'm even more confused.

https://github.com/kriswiner/LSM9DS...LSM9DS0-MS5637/LSM9DS0_MS5637_Mini_Add_On.ino is missing the function definition for MadgwickQuaternionUpdate. That definition is in the quaternionFilters sketch. I don't see any includes for that, so how can the LSM9DS0_MS5637_Mini_Add_On.ino compile as a stand-alone sketch?

When you say "if I am going to use Sparkfun's excellent library", which library are you referring to? Can you provide an example of the changed files?

Clearly, there are some substantial differences between the setups that we have.

Did you also put #include <Wire.h> in your sketch?

If it's not also in the sketch in Arduino, the library that needed it won't be able to include it.

Putting #include <Wire.h> in the sketch certainly means that it finds Wire.h. However, both i2c_t3 and Wire try to declare the same objects.

With i2c_t3 before Wire:
C:\Users\Jez\Documents\Making\arduino-1.6.3\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\i2c_t3/i2c_t3.h:803:15: error: 'Wire' has a previous declaration as 'i2c_t3 Wire'

So would I be correct in thinking that either:
1) I hack the https://github.com/kriswiner/LSM9DS0 library to use only Wire.h; or
2) I hack the https://github.com/kriswiner/LSM9DS0 library to only use i2c_t3.h?

Yes, it is a little confusing since I made a lot of changes and didn't keep everything consistent. AFAIK,

This works for the micro add-on board BUT you have to add the missing Madgwick component to your sketch. East to do, just not included in the github directory. The .h and .cpp files are the modified Sparkfun libraries with Wire.begin changed to Wire1.begin, etc. This should work out of the box modulo the quaternion function call adder.

This is a standalone sketch that does the same thing just rewritten to be run without the pesky (for me) Sparkfun libraries. It has the quaternion function call (which is the same for all) but you will have to change the i2c_t3 Wire.begin function to Wire1.begin, and the Wire.write functions to Wire1.write and the Wire.read functions to Wire1.read and, .., that's about all.

Confusing, maybe. But I am sure you can figure this out.

Why does the compiler get confused? Who knows...?

I plan to put a few prototypes together and test them this Summer. Of course, you are welcome to use the design from OSHPark.com as you like, but if the prototypes work as I expect they could be offered for sale at some point. Maybe I can persuade Sparkfun.com to offer them:).

Thanks, very interesting, i was about to start a project with 9DOF + Canbus but now looks like that with your work is no longer needed.
Thanks.

I've designed quite a few 9 DoF sensor solutions, some with the sensor fusion embedded into the device. They are all open source and for sale at Tindie at, ahem, reasonable prices.

Paul has tried to get me interested in designing a CAN bus peripheral for the Teensy but I can't understand what anyone would do with it. For all my flying robot work I2C and SPI are enough.

I've designed quite a few 9 DoF sensor solutions, some with the sensor fusion embedded into the device. They are all open source and for sale at Tindie at, ahem, reasonable prices.

Paul has tried to get me interested in designing a CAN bus peripheral for the Teensy but I can't understand what anyone would do with it. For all my flying robot work I2C and SPI are enough.

Well a canbus project will be great becouse right now in all the motorsport intertial platforms are VERY expensive becouse only few of them has integrated canbus (stardard in automotive motorposrt) a project with GPS + IMU -> Automotive/Motorbike Kallman filter -> CAN-BUS will greately interest anybody in motorsport (car bike powerboarting in shore off shore and so on) so i quite a big field.
Can bus is such a strong and easy protocol that should really always be considered over 1mt distance !

OK, thanks for the description of the applications. Now, if I added one of these CAN bus chips to a 9 DoF sensor board, how would I use it to test that it is working. It would be very useful for me to have a simple example of how one talks to a sensor through the CAN bus. I seem to have a mental block or something!

OK, thanks for the description of the applications. Now, if I added one of these CAN bus chips to a 9 DoF sensor board, how would I use it to test that it is working. It would be very useful for me to have a simple example of how one talks to a sensor through the CAN bus. I seem to have a mental block or something!

They application would be something like you output trough canbus or the raw data of the 9 sensor and after you donwload the data from the car you do an off line elaboration or you do the sensor fusion in the teensy and output to the canbus the valuse like ROLL PITCH and YAW.
The teensy already has canbus capabilities but laks the transcriver.
To see if your example work you need another canbus capable device froom the peek to the lenordo can arduino with can shield and so on, i'm happy to test whatever you whant me to test i have can test bench.
You can also buy a very cheap waveshare canbus tracriver and use another teensy.

9DOF SENSOR -> TEENSY SENSOR FUION -> CANBUS

Ok, I figured it out. Here's my stand-alone sketch and library to run the LSM9DS0 micro-shield on a Teensy 3.1. I only have the early micro-shields, so no pressure sensor. This has been tested with IDE 1.6.3 and Teensy Loader 1.23.

This sketch requires the i2c_t3 library and my modified SFE_LSM9DS0 library, included below as M5_LSM9DS0.

Sketch:
Code:
/*****************************************************************
Testing_M5_2_LSM9DS0_Motion_Sensor_v3.ino
SFE_LSM9DS0 Library AHRS Data Fusion Example Code
Jim Lindblom @ SparkFun Electronics
Original Creation Date: February 18, 2014
https://github.com/sparkfun/LSM9DS0_Breakout

Modified by Kris Winer, April 4, 2014 and September 3, 2014

Modified to be more stand alone by Jez Weston, 6 June 2015.

The LSM9DS0 is a versatile 9DOF sensor. It has a built-in
accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer. Very cool! Plus it
functions over either SPI or I2C.

This Arduino sketch utilizes Jim Lindblom's SFE_LSM9DS0 library to generate the basic sensor data
for use in two sensor fusion algorithms becoming increasingly popular with DIY quadcopter and robotics engineers.

Like the original LSM9SD0_simple.ino sketch, it'll demo the following:
* How to create a LSM9DS0 object, using a constructor (global
  variables section).
* How to use the begin() function of the LSM9DS0 class.
* How to read the gyroscope, accelerometer, and magnetometer
  using the readGryo(), readAccel(), readMag() functions and the
  gx, gy, gz, ax, ay, az, mx, my, and mz variables.
* How to calculate actual acceleration, rotation speed, magnetic
  field strength using the calcAccel(), calcGyro() and calcMag()
  functions.

In addition, the sketch will demo:
* How to check for data updates using interrupts
* How to display output at a rate different from the sensor data update and fusion filter update rates
* How to specify the accelerometer anti-aliasing (low-pass) filter rate
* How to use the data from the LSM9DS0 to fuse the sensor data into a quaternion representation of the sensor frame
  orientation relative to a fixed Earth frame providing absolute orientation information for subsequent use.
* An example of how to use the quaternion data to generate standard aircraft orientation data in the form of
  Tait-Bryan angles representing the sensor yaw, pitch, and roll angles suitable for any vehicle stablization control application.

But wait, there's more!

* The LSM9DS0 Micro Add-On board mounts onto the back pads of the Teensy 3.1 on pins 23 - 34,
  Utilizing 3V3 + GND, and SCL/SDA there. The interrupt signals are all broken out but avoid pin 33, which is also the EZ Mode Boot pin; if an interrupt is routed to   this pin 33 it might prevent the Teensy 3.1 from properly reprogramming and booting upon start up. Not good.

Hardware setup: This library supports communicating with the
LSM9DS0 over either I2C or SPI. However, using the LSM9DS0+MS5637 Micro Add-On board
for Teensy 3.1, I2C is hardwired and SPI cannot be used.
There is only one way to mount the board:

LSM9DS0 Micro ----- Teensy 3.1
	 SCL --------------pin 29   SCL
	 SDA --------------pin 30   SDA
	 VDD ------------- pin 34   3V3
	 GND ------------- pin 23   GND
         SDO --------------pin 31  (change address of LSM9DS0)
         DRDYG-------------pin 24  (gyro data ready interrupt)
         INTG--------------pin 25  (gyro Interrupt)
         DENG--------------pin 26  (allows syncing of gyro and accelerometer)
         INTXM1------------pin 27  (accelerometer data ready interrupt)
         INTXM2------------pin 32  (magnetometer data ready interrupt)

Note: The LSM9DS0_MS5637 Micro Add-On board in the I2C mode uses the Teensy 3.1-only i2c_t3.h Wire library.

The LSM9DS0 has a maximum voltage of 3.6V. Make sure you power it
off the 3.3V rail! And either use level shifters between SCL
and SDA or just use a 3.3V Arduino Pro.

In addition, this sketch uses a Nokia 5110 48 x 84 pixel display which requires
digital pins 5 - 9 described below.

Development environment specifics:
	IDE: Teensyduino 1.6.3
	Hardware Platform: Teensy 3.1
	LSM9DS0 Micro Add-On board v.01
see: https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse/lsm9ds0-teensy-31-micro-shield/

This code is beerware. If you see me (or any other SparkFun
employee) at the local, and you've found our code helpful, please
buy us a round!

Distributed as-is; no warranty is given.
*****************************************************************/

#include <SPI.h>
#include <i2c_t3.h>  // Teensy 3.1-specific  Wire1.h library
#include <M5_LSM9DS0.h>

///////////////////////
// Example I2C Setup //
///////////////////////
#define SDO 0   
#if SDO
#define LSM9DS0_XM  0x1D // Would be 0x1D if SDO_XM is HIGH
#define LSM9DS0_G   0x6B // Would be 0x6B if SDO_G is HIGH
#else
#define LSM9DS0_XM  0x1E // Would be 0x1E if SDO_XM is LOW
#define LSM9DS0_G   0x6A // Would be 0x6A if SDO_G is LOW
#endif

// Create an instance of the LSM9DS0 library called `dof` the
// parameters for this constructor are:
// [SPI or I2C Mode declaration],[gyro I2C address],[xm I2C add.]
LSM9DS0 dof(MODE_I2C, LSM9DS0_G, LSM9DS0_XM);

#define ADC_256  0x00 // define pressure and temperature conversion rates
#define ADC_512  0x02
#define ADC_1024 0x04
#define ADC_2048 0x06
#define ADC_4096 0x08
#define ADC_8192 0x0A
#define ADC_D1   0x40
#define ADC_D2   0x50

// Specify sensor full scale
uint8_t OSR = ADC_8192;     // set pressure amd temperature oversample rate
///////////////////////////////
// Interrupt Pin Definitions //
///////////////////////////////
const byte INT1XM = 27;  // INT1XM tells us when accel data is ready
const byte INT2XM = 32;  // INT2XM tells us when mag data is ready
const byte DRDYG  = 24;  // DRDYG  tells us when gyro data is ready
const byte SDOpin = 31;  // selects either of two I2C addresses
const byte myLed  = 13;  // Teensy 3.1 indicator led

// global constants for 9 DoF fusion and AHRS (Attitude and Heading Reference System)
#define GyroMeasError PI * (40.0f / 180.0f)       // gyroscope measurement error in rads/s (shown as 3 deg/s)
#define GyroMeasDrift PI * (1.0f / 180.0f)      // gyroscope measurement drift in rad/s/s (shown as 0.0 deg/s/s)
// There is a tradeoff in the beta parameter between accuracy and response speed.
// In the original Madgwick study, beta of 0.041 (corresponding to GyroMeasError of 2.7 degrees/s) was found to give optimal accuracy.
// However, with this value, the LSM9SD0 response time is about 10 seconds to a stable initial quaternion.
// Subsequent changes also require a longish lag time to a stable output, not fast enough for a quadcopter or robot car!
// By increasing beta (GyroMeasError) by about a factor of fifteen, the response time constant is reduced to ~2 sec
// I haven't noticed any reduction in solution accuracy. This is essentially the I coefficient in a PID control sense;
// the bigger the feedback coefficient, the faster the solution converges, usually at the expense of accuracy.
// In any case, this is the free parameter in the Madgwick filtering and fusion scheme.
#define beta sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasError   // compute beta
#define zeta sqrt(3.0f / 4.0f) * GyroMeasDrift   // compute zeta, the other free parameter in the Madgwick scheme usually set to a small or zero value
#define Kp 2.0f * 5.0f // these are the free parameters in the Mahony filter and fusion scheme, Kp for proportional feedback, Ki for integral
#define Ki 0.0f

uint32_t count = 0;  // used to control display output rate
uint32_t delt_t = 0; // used to control display output rate
float pitch, yaw, roll, heading;
float deltat = 0.0f, sum = 0.0f;        // integration interval for both filter schemes
uint32_t lastUpdate = 0, sumCount = 0;  // used to calculate integration interval
uint32_t Now = 0;                       // used to calculate integration interval

float abias[3] = {0, 0, 0}, gbias[3] = {0, 0, 0};
float ax, ay, az, gx, gy, gz, mx, my, mz; // variables to hold latest sensor data values
float q[4] = {1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};    // vector to hold quaternion
float eInt[3] = {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};       // vector to hold integral error for Mahony method
float temperature;

void setup()
{
  delay(1000);
  Serial.begin(38400); // Start serial at 38400 bps

// Set up interrupt pins as inputs:
  pinMode(INT1XM, INPUT);
  pinMode(INT2XM, INPUT);
  pinMode(DRDYG,  INPUT);
  pinMode(SDOpin,   OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(SDOpin, SDO);
  pinMode(myLed,   OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(myLed, HIGH);

Serial.println("This is the LSM9DS0...");

// begin() returns a 16-bit value which includes both the gyro
  // and accelerometers WHO_AM_I response. You can check this to
  // make sure communication was successful.
  uint32_t status = dof.begin();

Serial.print("LSM9DS0 WHO_AM_I's returned: 0x");
  Serial.println(status, HEX);
  Serial.println("Should be 0x49D4");
  Serial.println();
  delay(1000);

// Set data output ranges; choose lowest ranges for maximum resolution
  // Accelerometer scale can be: A_SCALE_2G, A_SCALE_4G, A_SCALE_6G, A_SCALE_8G, or A_SCALE_16G
  dof.setAccelScale(dof.A_SCALE_2G);
  // Gyro scale can be:  G_SCALE__245, G_SCALE__500, or G_SCALE__2000DPS
  dof.setGyroScale(dof.G_SCALE_245DPS);
  // Magnetometer scale can be: M_SCALE_2GS, M_SCALE_4GS, M_SCALE_8GS, M_SCALE_12GS
  dof.setMagScale(dof.M_SCALE_2GS);

// Set output data rates
  // Accelerometer output data rate (ODR) can be: A_ODR_3125 (3.225 Hz), A_ODR_625 (6.25 Hz), A_ODR_125 (12.5 Hz), A_ODR_25, A_ODR_50,
  //                                              A_ODR_100,  A_ODR_200, A_ODR_400, A_ODR_800, A_ODR_1600 (1600 Hz)
  dof.setAccelODR(dof.A_ODR_200); // Set accelerometer update rate at 100 Hz
  // Accelerometer anti-aliasing filter rate can be 50, 194, 362, or 763 Hz
  // Anti-aliasing acts like a low-pass filter allowing oversampling of accelerometer and rejection of high-frequency spurious noise.
  // Strategy here is to effectively oversample accelerometer at 100 Hz and use a 50 Hz anti-aliasing (low-pass) filter frequency
  // to get a smooth ~150 Hz filter update rate
  dof.setAccelABW(dof.A_ABW_50); // Choose lowest filter setting for low noise

// Gyro output data rates can be: 95 Hz (bandwidth 12.5 or 25 Hz), 190 Hz (bandwidth 12.5, 25, 50, or 70 Hz)
  //                                 380 Hz (bandwidth 20, 25, 50, 100 Hz), or 760 Hz (bandwidth 30, 35, 50, 100 Hz)
  dof.setGyroODR(dof.G_ODR_190_BW_125);  // Set gyro update rate to 190 Hz with the smallest bandwidth for low noise

// Magnetometer output data rate can be: 3.125 (ODR_3125), 6.25 (ODR_625), 12.5 (ODR_125), 25, 50, or 100 Hz
  dof.setMagODR(dof.M_ODR_125); // Set magnetometer to update every 80 ms

// Use the FIFO mode to average accelerometer and gyro readings to calculate the biases, which can then be removed from
  // all subsequent measurements.
  dof.calLSM9DS0(gbias, abias);

delay(1000);
}

void loop()
{
  if (digitalRead(DRDYG)) { // When new gyro data is ready
    dof.readGyro();           // Read raw gyro data
    gx = dof.calcGyro(dof.gx) - gbias[0];   // Convert to degrees per seconds, remove gyro biases
    gy = dof.calcGyro(dof.gy) - gbias[1];
    gz = dof.calcGyro(dof.gz) - gbias[2];
  }

if (digitalRead(INT1XM)) { // When new accelerometer data is ready
    dof.readAccel();         // Read raw accelerometer data
    ax = dof.calcAccel(dof.ax) - abias[0];   // Convert to g's, remove accelerometer biases
    ay = dof.calcAccel(dof.ay) - abias[1];
    az = dof.calcAccel(dof.az) - abias[2];
  }

if (digitalRead(INT2XM)) { // When new magnetometer data is ready
    dof.readMag();           // Read raw magnetometer data
    mx = dof.calcMag(dof.mx);     // Convert to Gauss and correct for calibration
    my = dof.calcMag(dof.my);
    mz = dof.calcMag(dof.mz);
  }

Now = micros();
  deltat = ((Now - lastUpdate) / 1000000.0f); // set integration time by time elapsed since last filter update
  lastUpdate = Now;

sum += deltat;
  sumCount++;

// Sensors x- and y-axes are aligned but magnetometer z-axis (+ down) is opposite to z-axis (+ up) of accelerometer and gyro!
  // This is ok by aircraft orientation standards!
  // Pass gyro rate as rad/s
  MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(ax, ay, az, gx * PI / 180.0f, gy * PI / 180.0f, gz * PI / 180.0f, mx, my, mz);
  // MahonyQuaternionUpdate(ax, ay, az, gx*PI/180.0f, gy*PI/180.0f, gz*PI/180.0f, mx, my, mz);

// Serial print and/or display at 0.5 s rate independent of data rates
  delt_t = millis() - count;
  if (delt_t > 500) { // update LCD once per half-second independent of read rate

// Print the heading and orientation for fun!
    printHeading(mx, my);
    printOrientation(ax, ay, az);

// Define output variables from updated quaternion---these are Tait-Bryan angles, commonly used in aircraft orientation.
    // In this coordinate system, the positive z-axis is down toward Earth.
    // Yaw is the angle between Sensor x-axis and Earth magnetic North (or true North if corrected for local declination),
    // looking down on the sensor positive yaw is counterclockwise.
    // Pitch is angle between sensor x-axis and Earth ground plane, toward the Earth is positive, up toward the sky is negative.
    // Roll is angle between sensor y-axis and Earth ground plane, y-axis up is positive roll.
    // These arise from the definition of the homogeneous rotation matrix constructed from quaternions.
    // Tait-Bryan angles as well as Euler angles are non-commutative; that is, to get the correct orientation the rotations must be
    // applied in the correct order which for this configuration is yaw, pitch, and then roll.
    // For more see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conversion_between_quaternions_and_Euler_angles which has additional links.
    yaw   = atan2(2.0f * (q[1] * q[2] + q[0] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] + q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] - q[3] * q[3]);
    pitch = -asin(2.0f * (q[1] * q[3] - q[0] * q[2]));
    roll  = atan2(2.0f * (q[0] * q[1] + q[2] * q[3]), q[0] * q[0] - q[1] * q[1] - q[2] * q[2] + q[3] * q[3]);
    pitch *= 180.0f / PI;
    yaw   *= 180.0f / PI;
    // Need to account for magnetic declination http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_declination
    //yaw   -= 13.8; // Declination at Danville, California is 13 degrees 48 minutes and 47 seconds on 2014-04-04
    yaw -= 22;  // Declination at Wellington, New Zealand.
    roll  *= 180.0f / PI;

Serial.print("ax = "); Serial.print((int)1000 * ax);
    Serial.print(" ay = "); Serial.print((int)1000 * ay);
    Serial.print(" az = "); Serial.print((int)1000 * az); Serial.println(" mg");
    Serial.print("gx = "); Serial.print( gx, 2);
    Serial.print(" gy = "); Serial.print( gy, 2);
    Serial.print(" gz = "); Serial.print( gz, 2); Serial.println(" deg/s");
    Serial.print("mx = "); Serial.print( (int)1000 * mx);
    Serial.print(" my = "); Serial.print( (int)1000 * my);
    Serial.print(" mz = "); Serial.print( (int)1000 * mz); Serial.println(" mG");

dof.readTemp();  // get gyro temperature
    temperature = 21.0 + (float) dof.temperature / 8.; // slope is 8 LSB per degree C, just guessing at the intercept
    Serial.print("gyro temperature = "); Serial.println(temperature, 2);

Serial.print("Yaw, Pitch, Roll: ");
    Serial.print(yaw, 2);
    Serial.print(", ");
    Serial.print(pitch, 2);
    Serial.print(", ");
    Serial.println(roll, 2);

Serial.print("q0 = "); Serial.print(q[0]);
    Serial.print(" qx = "); Serial.print(q[1]);
    Serial.print(" qy = "); Serial.print(q[2]);
    Serial.print(" qz = "); Serial.println(q[3]);

Serial.print("filter rate = "); Serial.println((float) sumCount / sum, 1);

// With ODR settings of 400 Hz, 380 Hz, and 25 Hz for the accelerometer, gyro, and magnetometer, respectively,
    // the filter is updating at a ~125 Hz rate using the Madgwick scheme and ~165 Hz using the Mahony scheme
    // even though the display refreshes at only 2 Hz.
    // The filter update rate can be increased by reducing the rate of data reading. The optimal implementation is
    // one which balances the competing rates so they are about the same; that is, the filter updates the sensor orientation
    // at about the same rate the data is changing. Of course, other implementations are possible. One might consider
    // updating the filter at twice the average new data rate to allow for finite filter convergence times.
    // The filter update rate is determined mostly by the mathematical steps in the respective algorithms,
    // the processor speed (8 MHz for the 3.3V Pro Mini), and the sensor ODRs, especially the magnetometer ODR:
    // smaller ODRs for the magnetometer produce the above rates, maximum magnetometer ODR of 100 Hz produces
    // filter update rates of ~110 and ~135 Hz for the Madgwick and Mahony schemes, respectively.
    // This is presumably because the magnetometer read takes longer than the gyro or accelerometer reads.
    // With low ODR settings of 100 Hz, 95 Hz, and 6.25 Hz for the accelerometer, gyro, and magnetometer, respectively,
    // the filter is updating at a ~150 Hz rate using the Madgwick scheme and ~200 Hz using the Mahony scheme.
    // These filter update rates should be fast enough to maintain accurate platform orientation for
    // stabilization control of a fast-moving robot or quadcopter. Compare to the update rate of 200 Hz
    // produced by the on-board Digital Motion Processor of Invensense's MPU6050 6 DoF and MPU9150 9DoF sensors.
    // The 3.3 V 8 MHz Pro Mini is doing pretty well!

digitalWrite(myLed, !digitalRead(myLed)); // toggle led
    count = millis();
    sum = 0;
    sumCount = 0;
  }
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//Useful functions
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// Here's a fun function to calculate your heading, using Earth's
// magnetic field.
// It only works if the sensor is flat (z-axis normal to Earth).
// Additionally, you may need to add or subtract a declination
// angle to get the heading normalized to your location.
// See: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag/declination.shtml
void printHeading(float hx, float hy)
{
  if (hy > 0)
  {
    heading = 90 - (atan(hx / hy) * (180 / PI));
  }
  else if (hy < 0)
  {
    heading = - (atan(hx / hy) * (180 / PI));
  }
  else // hy = 0
  {
    if (hx < 0) heading = 180;
    else heading = 0;
  }

Serial.print("Heading: ");
  Serial.println(heading, 2);
}

// Another fun function that does calculations based on the
// acclerometer data. This function will print your LSM9DS0's
// orientation -- it's roll and pitch angles.
void printOrientation(float x, float y, float z)
{
  // float pitch, roll;

pitch = atan2(x, sqrt(y * y) + (z * z));
  roll = atan2(y, sqrt(x * x) + (z * z));
  pitch *= 180.0 / PI;
  roll *= 180.0 / PI;

Serial.print("Pitch, Roll: ");
  Serial.print(pitch, 2);
  Serial.print(", ");
  Serial.println(roll, 2);
}

// Implementation of Sebastian Madgwick's "...efficient orientation filter for... inertial/magnetic sensor arrays"
// (see http://www.x-io.co.uk/category/open-source/ for examples and more details)
// which fuses acceleration, rotation rate, and magnetic moments to produce a quaternion-based estimate of absolute
// device orientation -- which can be converted to yaw, pitch, and roll. Useful for stabilizing quadcopters, etc.
// The performance of the orientation filter is at least as good as conventional Kalman-based filtering algorithms
// but is much less computationally intensive---it can be performed on a 3.3 V Pro Mini operating at 8 MHz!
void MadgwickQuaternionUpdate(float ax, float ay, float az, float gx, float gy, float gz, float mx, float my, float mz)
{
  float q1 = q[0], q2 = q[1], q3 = q[2], q4 = q[3];   // short name local variable for readability
  float norm;
  float hx, hy, _2bx, _2bz;
  float s1, s2, s3, s4;
  float qDot1, qDot2, qDot3, qDot4;

// Auxiliary variables to avoid repeated arithmetic
  float _2q1mx;
  float _2q1my;
  float _2q1mz;
  float _2q2mx;
  float _4bx;
  float _4bz;
  float _2q1 = 2.0f * q1;
  float _2q2 = 2.0f * q2;
  float _2q3 = 2.0f * q3;
  float _2q4 = 2.0f * q4;
  float _2q1q3 = 2.0f * q1 * q3;
  float _2q3q4 = 2.0f * q3 * q4;
  float q1q1 = q1 * q1;
  float q1q2 = q1 * q2;
  float q1q3 = q1 * q3;
  float q1q4 = q1 * q4;
  float q2q2 = q2 * q2;
  float q2q3 = q2 * q3;
  float q2q4 = q2 * q4;
  float q3q3 = q3 * q3;
  float q3q4 = q3 * q4;
  float q4q4 = q4 * q4;

// Normalise accelerometer measurement
  norm = sqrt(ax * ax + ay * ay + az * az);
  if (norm == 0.0f) return; // handle NaN
  norm = 1.0f / norm;
  ax *= norm;
  ay *= norm;
  az *= norm;

// Normalise magnetometer measurement
  norm = sqrt(mx * mx + my * my + mz * mz);
  norm = 1.0f / norm;
  mx *= norm;
  my *= norm;
  mz *= norm;

// Reference direction of Earth's magnetic field
  _2q1mx = 2.0f * q1 * mx;
  _2q1my = 2.0f * q1 * my;
  _2q1mz = 2.0f * q1 * mz;
  _2q2mx = 2.0f * q2 * mx;
  hx = mx * q1q1 - _2q1my * q4 + _2q1mz * q3 + mx * q2q2 + _2q2 * my * q3 + _2q2 * mz * q4 - mx * q3q3 - mx * q4q4;
  hy = _2q1mx * q4 + my * q1q1 - _2q1mz * q2 + _2q2mx * q3 - my * q2q2 + my * q3q3 + _2q3 * mz * q4 - my * q4q4;
  _2bx = sqrt(hx * hx + hy * hy);
  _2bz = -_2q1mx * q3 + _2q1my * q2 + mz * q1q1 + _2q2mx * q4 - mz * q2q2 + _2q3 * my * q4 - mz * q3q3 + mz * q4q4;
  _4bx = 2.0f * _2bx;
  _4bz = 2.0f * _2bz;

// Gradient decent algorithm corrective step
  s1 = -_2q3 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q2 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) - _2bz * q3 * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (-_2bx * q4 + _2bz * q2) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + _2bx * q3 * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
  s2 = _2q4 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q1 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) - 4.0f * q2 * (1.0f - 2.0f * q2q2 - 2.0f * q3q3 - az) + _2bz * q4 * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (_2bx * q3 + _2bz * q1) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + (_2bx * q4 - _4bz * q2) * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
  s3 = -_2q1 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q4 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) - 4.0f * q3 * (1.0f - 2.0f * q2q2 - 2.0f * q3q3 - az) + (-_4bx * q3 - _2bz * q1) * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (_2bx * q2 + _2bz * q4) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + (_2bx * q1 - _4bz * q3) * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
  s4 = _2q2 * (2.0f * q2q4 - _2q1q3 - ax) + _2q3 * (2.0f * q1q2 + _2q3q4 - ay) + (-_4bx * q4 + _2bz * q2) * (_2bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + _2bz * (q2q4 - q1q3) - mx) + (-_2bx * q1 + _2bz * q3) * (_2bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + _2bz * (q1q2 + q3q4) - my) + _2bx * q2 * (_2bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + _2bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3) - mz);
  norm = sqrt(s1 * s1 + s2 * s2 + s3 * s3 + s4 * s4);    // normalise step magnitude
  norm = 1.0f / norm;
  s1 *= norm;
  s2 *= norm;
  s3 *= norm;
  s4 *= norm;

// Compute rate of change of quaternion
  qDot1 = 0.5f * (-q2 * gx - q3 * gy - q4 * gz) - beta * s1;
  qDot2 = 0.5f * (q1 * gx + q3 * gz - q4 * gy) - beta * s2;
  qDot3 = 0.5f * (q1 * gy - q2 * gz + q4 * gx) - beta * s3;
  qDot4 = 0.5f * (q1 * gz + q2 * gy - q3 * gx) - beta * s4;

// Integrate to yield quaternion
  q1 += qDot1 * deltat;
  q2 += qDot2 * deltat;
  q3 += qDot3 * deltat;
  q4 += qDot4 * deltat;
  norm = sqrt(q1 * q1 + q2 * q2 + q3 * q3 + q4 * q4);    // normalise quaternion
  norm = 1.0f / norm;
  q[0] = q1 * norm;
  q[1] = q2 * norm;
  q[2] = q3 * norm;
  q[3] = q4 * norm;

}

// Similar to Madgwick scheme but uses proportional and integral filtering on the error between estimated reference vectors and
// measured ones.
void MahonyQuaternionUpdate(float ax, float ay, float az, float gx, float gy, float gz, float mx, float my, float mz)
{
  float q1 = q[0], q2 = q[1], q3 = q[2], q4 = q[3];   // short name local variable for readability
  float norm;
  float hx, hy, bx, bz;
  float vx, vy, vz, wx, wy, wz;
  float ex, ey, ez;
  float pa, pb, pc;

// Auxiliary variables to avoid repeated arithmetic
  float q1q1 = q1 * q1;
  float q1q2 = q1 * q2;
  float q1q3 = q1 * q3;
  float q1q4 = q1 * q4;
  float q2q2 = q2 * q2;
  float q2q3 = q2 * q3;
  float q2q4 = q2 * q4;
  float q3q3 = q3 * q3;
  float q3q4 = q3 * q4;
  float q4q4 = q4 * q4;

// Normalise accelerometer measurement
  norm = sqrt(ax * ax + ay * ay + az * az);
  norm = 1.0f / norm;        // use reciprocal for division
  ax *= norm;
  ay *= norm;
  az *= norm;

// Normalise magnetometer measurement
  norm = sqrt(mx * mx + my * my + mz * mz);
  norm = 1.0f / norm;        // use reciprocal for division
  mx *= norm;
  my *= norm;
  mz *= norm;

// Reference direction of Earth's magnetic field
  hx = 2.0f * mx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + 2.0f * my * (q2q3 - q1q4) + 2.0f * mz * (q2q4 + q1q3);
  hy = 2.0f * mx * (q2q3 + q1q4) + 2.0f * my * (0.5f - q2q2 - q4q4) + 2.0f * mz * (q3q4 - q1q2);
  bx = sqrt((hx * hx) + (hy * hy));
  bz = 2.0f * mx * (q2q4 - q1q3) + 2.0f * my * (q3q4 + q1q2) + 2.0f * mz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3);

// Estimated direction of gravity and magnetic field
  vx = 2.0f * (q2q4 - q1q3);
  vy = 2.0f * (q1q2 + q3q4);
  vz = q1q1 - q2q2 - q3q3 + q4q4;
  wx = 2.0f * bx * (0.5f - q3q3 - q4q4) + 2.0f * bz * (q2q4 - q1q3);
  wy = 2.0f * bx * (q2q3 - q1q4) + 2.0f * bz * (q1q2 + q3q4);
  wz = 2.0f * bx * (q1q3 + q2q4) + 2.0f * bz * (0.5f - q2q2 - q3q3);

// Error is cross product between estimated direction and measured direction of gravity
  ex = (ay * vz - az * vy) + (my * wz - mz * wy);
  ey = (az * vx - ax * vz) + (mz * wx - mx * wz);
  ez = (ax * vy - ay * vx) + (mx * wy - my * wx);
  if (Ki > 0.0f)
  {
    eInt[0] += ex;      // accumulate integral error
    eInt[1] += ey;
    eInt[2] += ez;
  }
  else
  {
    eInt[0] = 0.0f;     // prevent integral wind up
    eInt[1] = 0.0f;
    eInt[2] = 0.0f;
  }

// Apply feedback terms
  gx = gx + Kp * ex + Ki * eInt[0];
  gy = gy + Kp * ey + Ki * eInt[1];
  gz = gz + Kp * ez + Ki * eInt[2];

// Integrate rate of change of quaternion
  pa = q2;
  pb = q3;
  pc = q4;
  q1 = q1 + (-q2 * gx - q3 * gy - q4 * gz) * (0.5f * deltat);
  q2 = pa + (q1 * gx + pb * gz - pc * gy) * (0.5f * deltat);
  q3 = pb + (q1 * gy - pa * gz + pc * gx) * (0.5f * deltat);
  q4 = pc + (q1 * gz + pa * gy - pb * gx) * (0.5f * deltat);

// Normalise quaternion
  norm = sqrt(q1 * q1 + q2 * q2 + q3 * q3 + q4 * q4);
  norm = 1.0f / norm;
  q[0] = q1 * norm;
  q[1] = q2 * norm;
  q[2] = q3 * norm;
  q[3] = q4 * norm;

}

There are two library files , M5_LSM9DS0.cpp and M5_LSM9DS0.h. These need to go in a folder called M5_LSM9DS0 in whichever folder your user libraries sit.

M5_LSM9DS0.cpp
Code:
/******************************************************************************
M5_LSM9DS0.cpp
SFE_LSM9DS0 Library Source File
Original Creation Date: February 14, 2014 (Happy Valentines Day!)

This file implements all functions of the LSM9DS0 class. Functions here range
from higher level stuff, like reading/writing LSM9DS0 registers to low-level,
hardware reads and writes. Both SPI and I2C handler functions can be found
towards the bottom of this file.

IDE: Arduino 1.0.5
	Hardware Platform: Arduino Pro 3.3V/8MHz
	LSM9DS0 Breakout Version: 1.0

This code is beerware; if you see me (or any other SparkFun employee) at the
local, and you've found our code helpful, please buy us a round!

******************************************************************************/

#include "M5_LSM9DS0.h"
#include <i2c_t3.h> // Wire library is used for I2C
#include <SPI.h>  // SPI library is used for...SPI.

#if defined(ARDUINO) && ARDUINO >= 100
  #include "Arduino.h"
#else
  #include "WProgram.h"
#endif

LSM9DS0::LSM9DS0(interface_mode interface, uint8_t gAddr, uint8_t xmAddr)
{
	// interfaceMode will keep track of whether we're using SPI or I2C:
	interfaceMode = interface;

// xmAddress and gAddress will store the 7-bit I2C address, if using I2C.
	// If we're using SPI, these variables store the chip-select pins.
	xmAddress = xmAddr;
	gAddress = gAddr;
}

uint16_t LSM9DS0::begin(gyro_scale gScl, accel_scale aScl, mag_scale mScl, 
						gyro_odr gODR, accel_odr aODR, mag_odr mODR)
{
	// Store the given scales in class variables. These scale variables
	// are used throughout to calculate the actual g's, DPS,and Gs's.
	gScale = gScl;
	aScale = aScl;
	mScale = mScl;

// Once we have the scale values, we can calculate the resolution
	// of each sensor. That's what these functions are for. One for each sensor
	calcgRes(); // Calculate DPS / ADC tick, stored in gRes variable
	calcmRes(); // Calculate Gs / ADC tick, stored in mRes variable
	calcaRes(); // Calculate g / ADC tick, stored in aRes variable

// Now, initialize our hardware interface.
	if (interfaceMode == MODE_I2C)	// If we're using I2C
		initI2C();					// Initialize I2C
	else if (interfaceMode == MODE_SPI) 	// else, if we're using SPI
		initSPI();							// Initialize SPI

// To verify communication, we can read from the WHO_AM_I register of
	// each device. Store those in a variable so we can return them.
	uint8_t gTest = gReadByte(WHO_AM_I_G);		// Read the gyro WHO_AM_I
	uint8_t xmTest = xmReadByte(WHO_AM_I_XM);	// Read the accel/mag WHO_AM_I

// Gyro initialization stuff:
	initGyro();	// This will "turn on" the gyro. Setting up interrupts, etc.
	setGyroODR(gODR); // Set the gyro output data rate and bandwidth.
	setGyroScale(gScale); // Set the gyro range

// Accelerometer initialization stuff:
	initAccel(); // "Turn on" all axes of the accel. Set up interrupts, etc.
	setAccelODR(aODR); // Set the accel data rate.
	setAccelScale(aScale); // Set the accel range.

// Magnetometer initialization stuff:
	initMag(); // "Turn on" all axes of the mag. Set up interrupts, etc.
	setMagODR(mODR); // Set the magnetometer output data rate.
	setMagScale(mScale); // Set the magnetometer's range.

// Once everything is initialized, return the WHO_AM_I registers we read:
	return (xmTest << 8) | gTest;
}

void LSM9DS0::initGyro()
{
	/* CTRL_REG1_G sets output data rate, bandwidth, power-down and enables
	Bits[7:0]: DR1 DR0 BW1 BW0 PD Zen Xen Yen
	DR[1:0] - Output data rate selection
		00=95Hz, 01=190Hz, 10=380Hz, 11=760Hz
	BW[1:0] - Bandwidth selection (sets cutoff frequency)
		 Value depends on ODR. See datasheet table 21.
	PD - Power down enable (0=power down mode, 1=normal or sleep mode)
	Zen, Xen, Yen - Axis enable (o=disabled, 1=enabled)	*/
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_G, 0x0F); // Normal mode, enable all axes

/* CTRL_REG2_G sets up the HPF
	Bits[7:0]: 0 0 HPM1 HPM0 HPCF3 HPCF2 HPCF1 HPCF0
	HPM[1:0] - High pass filter mode selection
		00=normal (reset reading HP_RESET_FILTER, 01=ref signal for filtering,
		10=normal, 11=autoreset on interrupt
	HPCF[3:0] - High pass filter cutoff frequency
		Value depends on data rate. See datasheet table 26.
	*/
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_G, 0x00); // Normal mode, high cutoff frequency

/* CTRL_REG3_G sets up interrupt and DRDY_G pins
	Bits[7:0]: I1_IINT1 I1_BOOT H_LACTIVE PP_OD I2_DRDY I2_WTM I2_ORUN I2_EMPTY
	I1_INT1 - Interrupt enable on INT_G pin (0=disable, 1=enable)
	I1_BOOT - Boot status available on INT_G (0=disable, 1=enable)
	H_LACTIVE - Interrupt active configuration on INT_G (0:high, 1:low)
	PP_OD - Push-pull/open-drain (0=push-pull, 1=open-drain)
	I2_DRDY - Data ready on DRDY_G (0=disable, 1=enable)
	I2_WTM - FIFO watermark interrupt on DRDY_G (0=disable 1=enable)
	I2_ORUN - FIFO overrun interrupt on DRDY_G (0=disable 1=enable)
	I2_EMPTY - FIFO empty interrupt on DRDY_G (0=disable 1=enable) */
	// Int1 enabled (pp, active low), data read on DRDY_G:
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG3_G, 0x88); 

/* CTRL_REG4_G sets the scale, update mode
	Bits[7:0] - BDU BLE FS1 FS0 - ST1 ST0 SIM
	BDU - Block data update (0=continuous, 1=output not updated until read
	BLE - Big/little endian (0=data LSB @ lower address, 1=LSB @ higher add)
	FS[1:0] - Full-scale selection
		00=245dps, 01=500dps, 10=2000dps, 11=2000dps
	ST[1:0] - Self-test enable
		00=disabled, 01=st 0 (x+, y-, z-), 10=undefined, 11=st 1 (x-, y+, z+)
	SIM - SPI serial interface mode select
		0=4 wire, 1=3 wire */
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG4_G, 0x00); // Set scale to 245 dps

/* CTRL_REG5_G sets up the FIFO, HPF, and INT1
	Bits[7:0] - BOOT FIFO_EN - HPen INT1_Sel1 INT1_Sel0 Out_Sel1 Out_Sel0
	BOOT - Reboot memory content (0=normal, 1=reboot)
	FIFO_EN - FIFO enable (0=disable, 1=enable)
	HPen - HPF enable (0=disable, 1=enable)
	INT1_Sel[1:0] - Int 1 selection configuration
	Out_Sel[1:0] - Out selection configuration */
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_G, 0x00);

// Temporary !!! For testing !!! Remove !!! Or make useful !!!
	configGyroInt(0x2A, 0, 0, 0, 0); // Trigger interrupt when above 0 DPS...
}

void LSM9DS0::initAccel()
{
	/* CTRL_REG0_XM (0x1F) (Default value: 0x00)
	Bits (7-0): BOOT FIFO_EN WTM_EN 0 0 HP_CLICK HPIS1 HPIS2
	BOOT - Reboot memory content (0: normal, 1: reboot)
	FIFO_EN - Fifo enable (0: disable, 1: enable)
	WTM_EN - FIFO watermark enable (0: disable, 1: enable)
	HP_CLICK - HPF enabled for click (0: filter bypassed, 1: enabled)
	HPIS1 - HPF enabled for interrupt generator 1 (0: bypassed, 1: enabled)
	HPIS2 - HPF enabled for interrupt generator 2 (0: bypassed, 1 enabled)   */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG0_XM, 0x00);

/* CTRL_REG1_XM (0x20) (Default value: 0x07)
	Bits (7-0): AODR3 AODR2 AODR1 AODR0 BDU AZEN AYEN AXEN
	AODR[3:0] - select the acceleration data rate:
		0000=power down, 0001=3.125Hz, 0010=6.25Hz, 0011=12.5Hz, 
		0100=25Hz, 0101=50Hz, 0110=100Hz, 0111=200Hz, 1000=400Hz,
		1001=800Hz, 1010=1600Hz, (remaining combinations undefined).
	BDU - block data update for accel AND mag
		0: Continuous update
		1: Output registers aren't updated until MSB and LSB have been read.
	AZEN, AYEN, and AXEN - Acceleration x/y/z-axis enabled.
		0: Axis disabled, 1: Axis enabled									 */	
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_XM, 0x57); // 100Hz data rate, x/y/z all enabled

//Serial.println(xmReadByte(CTRL_REG1_XM));
	/* CTRL_REG2_XM (0x21) (Default value: 0x00)
	Bits (7-0): ABW1 ABW0 AFS2 AFS1 AFS0 AST1 AST0 SIM
	ABW[1:0] - Accelerometer anti-alias filter bandwidth
		00=773Hz, 01=194Hz, 10=362Hz, 11=50Hz
	AFS[2:0] - Accel full-scale selection
		000=+/-2g, 001=+/-4g, 010=+/-6g, 011=+/-8g, 100=+/-16g
	AST[1:0] - Accel self-test enable
		00=normal (no self-test), 01=positive st, 10=negative st, 11=not allowed
	SIM - SPI mode selection
		0=4-wire, 1=3-wire													 */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_XM, 0x00); // Set scale to 2g

/* CTRL_REG3_XM is used to set interrupt generators on INT1_XM
	Bits (7-0): P1_BOOT P1_TAP P1_INT1 P1_INT2 P1_INTM P1_DRDYA P1_DRDYM P1_EMPTY
	*/
	// Accelerometer data ready on INT1_XM (0x04)
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG3_XM, 0x04); 
}

void LSM9DS0::initMag()
{	
	/* CTRL_REG5_XM enables temp sensor, sets mag resolution and data rate
	Bits (7-0): TEMP_EN M_RES1 M_RES0 M_ODR2 M_ODR1 M_ODR0 LIR2 LIR1
	TEMP_EN - Enable temperature sensor (0=disabled, 1=enabled)
	M_RES[1:0] - Magnetometer resolution select (0=low, 3=high)
	M_ODR[2:0] - Magnetometer data rate select
		000=3.125Hz, 001=6.25Hz, 010=12.5Hz, 011=25Hz, 100=50Hz, 101=100Hz
	LIR2 - Latch interrupt request on INT2_SRC (cleared by reading INT2_SRC)
		0=interrupt request not latched, 1=interrupt request latched
	LIR1 - Latch interrupt request on INT1_SRC (cleared by readging INT1_SRC)
		0=irq not latched, 1=irq latched 									 */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_XM, 0x94); // Mag data rate - 100 Hz, enable temperature sensor

/* CTRL_REG6_XM sets the magnetometer full-scale
	Bits (7-0): 0 MFS1 MFS0 0 0 0 0 0
	MFS[1:0] - Magnetic full-scale selection
	00:+/-2Gauss, 01:+/-4Gs, 10:+/-8Gs, 11:+/-12Gs							 */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG6_XM, 0x00); // Mag scale to +/- 2GS

/* CTRL_REG7_XM sets magnetic sensor mode, low power mode, and filters
	AHPM1 AHPM0 AFDS 0 0 MLP MD1 MD0
	AHPM[1:0] - HPF mode selection
		00=normal (resets reference registers), 01=reference signal for filtering, 
		10=normal, 11=autoreset on interrupt event
	AFDS - Filtered acceleration data selection
		0=internal filter bypassed, 1=data from internal filter sent to FIFO
	MLP - Magnetic data low-power mode
		0=data rate is set by M_ODR bits in CTRL_REG5
		1=data rate is set to 3.125Hz
	MD[1:0] - Magnetic sensor mode selection (default 10)
		00=continuous-conversion, 01=single-conversion, 10 and 11=power-down */
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG7_XM, 0x00); // Continuous conversion mode

/* CTRL_REG4_XM is used to set interrupt generators on INT2_XM
	Bits (7-0): P2_TAP P2_INT1 P2_INT2 P2_INTM P2_DRDYA P2_DRDYM P2_Overrun P2_WTM
	*/
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG4_XM, 0x04); // Magnetometer data ready on INT2_XM (0x08)

/* INT_CTRL_REG_M to set push-pull/open drain, and active-low/high
	Bits[7:0] - XMIEN YMIEN ZMIEN PP_OD IEA IEL 4D MIEN
	XMIEN, YMIEN, ZMIEN - Enable interrupt recognition on axis for mag data
	PP_OD - Push-pull/open-drain interrupt configuration (0=push-pull, 1=od)
	IEA - Interrupt polarity for accel and magneto
		0=active-low, 1=active-high
	IEL - Latch interrupt request for accel and magneto
		0=irq not latched, 1=irq latched
	4D - 4D enable. 4D detection is enabled when 6D bit in INT_GEN1_REG is set
	MIEN - Enable interrupt generation for magnetic data
		0=disable, 1=enable) */
	xmWriteByte(INT_CTRL_REG_M, 0x09); // Enable interrupts for mag, active-low, push-pull
}

// This is a function that uses the FIFO to accumulate sample of accelerometer and gyro data, average
// them, scales them to  gs and deg/s, respectively, and then passes the biases to the main sketch
// for subtraction from all subsequent data. There are no gyro and accelerometer bias registers to store
// the data as there are in the ADXL345, a precursor to the LSM9DS0, or the MPU-9150, so we have to
// subtract the biases ourselves. This results in a more accurate measurement in general and can
// remove errors due to imprecise or varying initial placement. Calibration of sensor data in this manner
// is good practice.

void LSM9DS0::calLSM9DS0(float * gbias, float * abias)
{  
  uint8_t data[6] = {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0};
  int32_t gyro_bias[3] = {0, 0, 0}, accel_bias[3] = {0, 0, 0};
  uint16_t samples, ii;

// First get gyro bias
  byte c = gReadByte(CTRL_REG5_G);
  gWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_G, c | 0x40);         // Enable gyro FIFO  
  delay(20);                                 // Wait for change to take effect
  gWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG_G, 0x20 | 0x1F);  // Enable gyro FIFO stream mode and set watermark at 32 samples
  delay(1000);  // delay 1000 milliseconds to collect FIFO samples

samples = (gReadByte(FIFO_SRC_REG_G) & 0x1F); // Read number of stored samples

for(ii = 0; ii < samples ; ii++) {            // Read the gyro data stored in the FIFO
    int16_t gyro_temp[3] = {0, 0, 0};
    gReadBytes(OUT_X_L_G,  &data[0], 6);
    gyro_temp[0] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[1] << 8) | data[0]); // Form signed 16-bit integer for each sample in FIFO
    gyro_temp[1] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[3] << 8) | data[2]);
    gyro_temp[2] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[5] << 8) | data[4]);

gyro_bias[0] += (int32_t) gyro_temp[0]; // Sum individual signed 16-bit biases to get accumulated signed 32-bit biases
    gyro_bias[1] += (int32_t) gyro_temp[1]; 
    gyro_bias[2] += (int32_t) gyro_temp[2]; 
  }  

gyro_bias[0] /= samples; // average the data
  gyro_bias[1] /= samples; 
  gyro_bias[2] /= samples; 

gbias[0] = (float)gyro_bias[0]*gRes;  // Properly scale the data to get deg/s
  gbias[1] = (float)gyro_bias[1]*gRes;
  gbias[2] = (float)gyro_bias[2]*gRes;

c = gReadByte(CTRL_REG5_G);
  gWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_G, c & ~0x40);  // Disable gyro FIFO  
  delay(20);
  gWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG_G, 0x00);   // Enable gyro bypass mode

//  Now get the accelerometer biases
  c = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG0_XM);
  xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG0_XM, c | 0x40);      // Enable accelerometer FIFO  
  delay(20);                                // Wait for change to take effect
  xmWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG, 0x20 | 0x1F);  // Enable accelerometer FIFO stream mode and set watermark at 32 samples
  delay(1000);  // delay 1000 milliseconds to collect FIFO samples

samples = (xmReadByte(FIFO_SRC_REG) & 0x1F); // Read number of stored accelerometer samples

for(ii = 0; ii < samples ; ii++) {          // Read the accelerometer data stored in the FIFO
    int16_t accel_temp[3] = {0, 0, 0};
    xmReadBytes(OUT_X_L_A, &data[0], 6);
    accel_temp[0] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[1] << 8) | data[0]);// Form signed 16-bit integer for each sample in FIFO
    accel_temp[1] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[3] << 8) | data[2]);
    accel_temp[2] = (int16_t) (((int16_t)data[5] << 8) | data[4]);  

accel_bias[0] += (int32_t) accel_temp[0]; // Sum individual signed 16-bit biases to get accumulated signed 32-bit biases
    accel_bias[1] += (int32_t) accel_temp[1]; 
    accel_bias[2] += (int32_t) accel_temp[2]; 
  }  

accel_bias[0] /= samples; // average the data
  accel_bias[1] /= samples; 
  accel_bias[2] /= samples; 

if(accel_bias[2] > 0L) {accel_bias[2] -= (int32_t) (1.0/aRes);}  // Remove gravity from the z-axis accelerometer bias calculation
  else {accel_bias[2] += (int32_t) (1.0/aRes);}

abias[0] = (float)accel_bias[0]*aRes; // Properly scale data to get gs
  abias[1] = (float)accel_bias[1]*aRes;
  abias[2] = (float)accel_bias[2]*aRes;

c = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG0_XM);
  xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG0_XM, c & ~0x40);    // Disable accelerometer FIFO  
  delay(20);
  xmWriteByte(FIFO_CTRL_REG, 0x00);       // Enable accelerometer bypass mode
}

void LSM9DS0::readAccel()
{
	uint8_t temp[6]; // We'll read six bytes from the accelerometer into temp	
	xmReadBytes(OUT_X_L_A, temp, 6); // Read 6 bytes, beginning at OUT_X_L_A
	ax = (temp[1] << 8) | temp[0]; // Store x-axis values into ax
	ay = (temp[3] << 8) | temp[2]; // Store y-axis values into ay
	az = (temp[5] << 8) | temp[4]; // Store z-axis values into az
}

void LSM9DS0::readMag()
{
	uint8_t temp[6]; // We'll read six bytes from the mag into temp	
	xmReadBytes(OUT_X_L_M, temp, 6); // Read 6 bytes, beginning at OUT_X_L_M
	mx = (temp[1] << 8) | temp[0]; // Store x-axis values into mx
	my = (temp[3] << 8) | temp[2]; // Store y-axis values into my
	mz = (temp[5] << 8) | temp[4]; // Store z-axis values into mz
}

void LSM9DS0::readTemp()
{
	uint8_t temp[2]; // We'll read two bytes from the temperature sensor into temp	
	xmReadBytes(OUT_TEMP_L_XM, temp, 2); // Read 2 bytes, beginning at OUT_TEMP_L_M
        temperature = (((int16_t) temp[1] << 12) | temp[0] << 4 ) >> 4; // Temperature is a 12-bit signed integer
}

void LSM9DS0::readGyro()
{
	uint8_t temp[6]; // We'll read six bytes from the gyro into temp
	gReadBytes(OUT_X_L_G, temp, 6); // Read 6 bytes, beginning at OUT_X_L_G
	gx = (temp[1] << 8) | temp[0]; // Store x-axis values into gx
	gy = (temp[3] << 8) | temp[2]; // Store y-axis values into gy
	gz = (temp[5] << 8) | temp[4]; // Store z-axis values into gz
}

float LSM9DS0::calcGyro(int16_t gyro)
{
	// Return the gyro raw reading times our pre-calculated DPS / (ADC tick):
	return gRes * gyro; 
}

float LSM9DS0::calcAccel(int16_t accel)
{
	// Return the accel raw reading times our pre-calculated g's / (ADC tick):
	return aRes * accel;
}

float LSM9DS0::calcMag(int16_t mag)
{
	// Return the mag raw reading times our pre-calculated Gs / (ADC tick):
	return mRes * mag;
}

void LSM9DS0::setGyroScale(gyro_scale gScl)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG4_G. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = gReadByte(CTRL_REG4_G);
	// Then mask out the gyro scale bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 4);
	// Then shift in our new scale bits:
	temp |= gScl << 4;
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG4_G:
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG4_G, temp);

// We've updated the sensor, but we also need to update our class variables
	// First update gScale:
	gScale = gScl;
	// Then calculate a new gRes, which relies on gScale being set correctly:
	calcgRes();
}

void LSM9DS0::setAccelScale(accel_scale aScl)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG2_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG2_XM);
	// Then mask out the accel scale bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 3);
	temp |= aScl << 3;
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG2_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_XM, temp);

// First update aScale:
	aScale = aScl;
	// Then calculate a new aRes, which relies on aScale being set correctly:
	calcaRes();
}

void LSM9DS0::setMagScale(mag_scale mScl)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG6_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG6_XM);
	// Then mask out the mag scale bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 5);
	temp |= mScl << 5;
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG6_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG6_XM, temp);

// First update mScale:
	mScale = mScl;
	// Then calculate a new mRes, which relies on mScale being set correctly:
	calcmRes();
}

void LSM9DS0::setGyroODR(gyro_odr gRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG1_G. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = gReadByte(CTRL_REG1_G);
	// Then mask out the gyro ODR bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0xF << 4);
	// Then shift in our new ODR bits:
	temp |= (gRate << 4);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG1_G:
	gWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_G, temp);
}
void LSM9DS0::setAccelODR(accel_odr aRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG1_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG1_XM);
	// Then mask out the accel ODR bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0xF << 4);
	temp |= (aRate << 4);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG1_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG1_XM, temp);
}
void LSM9DS0::setAccelABW(accel_abw abwRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG2_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG2_XM);
	// Then mask out the accel ABW bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x3 << 7);
	temp |= (abwRate << 7);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG2_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG2_XM, temp);
}
void LSM9DS0::setMagODR(mag_odr mRate)
{
	// We need to preserve the other bytes in CTRL_REG5_XM. So, first read it:
	uint8_t temp = xmReadByte(CTRL_REG5_XM);
	// Then mask out the mag ODR bits:
	temp &= 0xFF^(0x7 << 2);
	temp |= (mRate << 2);
	// And write the new register value back into CTRL_REG5_XM:
	xmWriteByte(CTRL_REG5_XM, temp);
}

void LSM9DS0::configGyroInt(uint8_t int1Cfg, uint16_t int1ThsX, uint16_t int1ThsY, uint16_t int1ThsZ, uint8_t duration)
{
	gWriteByte(INT1_CFG_G, int1Cfg);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_XH_G, (int1ThsX & 0xFF00) >> 8);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_XL_G, (int1ThsX & 0xFF));
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_YH_G, (int1ThsY & 0xFF00) >> 8);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_YL_G, (int1ThsY & 0xFF));
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_ZH_G, (int1ThsZ & 0xFF00) >> 8);
	gWriteByte(INT1_THS_ZL_G, (int1ThsZ & 0xFF));
	if (duration)
		gWriteByte(INT1_DURATION_G, 0x80 | duration);
	else
		gWriteByte(INT1_DURATION_G, 0x00);
}

void LSM9DS0::calcgRes()
{
	// Possible gyro scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 245 DPS (00), 500 DPS (01), 2000 DPS (10). Here's a bit of an algorithm
	// to calculate DPS/(ADC tick) based on that 2-bit value:
	switch (gScale)
	{
	case G_SCALE_245DPS:
		gRes = 245.0 / 32768.0;
		break;
	case G_SCALE_500DPS:
		gRes = 500.0 / 32768.0;
		break;
	case G_SCALE_2000DPS:
		gRes = 2000.0 / 32768.0;
		break;
	}
}

void LSM9DS0::calcaRes()
{
	// Possible accelerometer scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 2 g (000), 4g (001), 6g (010) 8g (011), 16g (100). Here's a bit of an 
	// algorithm to calculate g/(ADC tick) based on that 3-bit value:
	aRes = aScale == A_SCALE_16G ? 16.0 / 32768.0 : 
		   (((float) aScale + 1.0) * 2.0) / 32768.0;
}

void LSM9DS0::calcmRes()
{
	// Possible magnetometer scales (and their register bit settings) are:
	// 2 Gs (00), 4 Gs (01), 8 Gs (10) 12 Gs (11). Here's a bit of an algorithm
	// to calculate Gs/(ADC tick) based on that 2-bit value:
	mRes = mScale == M_SCALE_2GS ? 2.0 / 32768.0 : 
	       (float) (mScale << 2) / 32768.0;
}

void LSM9DS0::gWriteByte(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, write a byte using the
	// gyro-specific I2C address or SPI CS pin.
	if (interfaceMode == MODE_I2C)
		I2CwriteByte(gAddress, subAddress, data);
	else if (interfaceMode == MODE_SPI)
		SPIwriteByte(gAddress, subAddress, data);
}

void LSM9DS0::xmWriteByte(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, write a byte using the
	// accelerometer-specific I2C address or SPI CS pin.
		return I2CwriteByte(xmAddress, subAddress, data);
		return SPIwriteByte(xmAddress, subAddress, data);
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::gReadByte(uint8_t subAddress)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read a byte using the
		return I2CreadByte(gAddress, subAddress);
		return SPIreadByte(gAddress, subAddress);
}

void LSM9DS0::gReadBytes(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read multiple bytes using the
		I2CreadBytes(gAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
		SPIreadBytes(gAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::xmReadByte(uint8_t subAddress)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read a byte using the
		return I2CreadByte(xmAddress, subAddress);
		return SPIreadByte(xmAddress, subAddress);
}

void LSM9DS0::xmReadBytes(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{
	// Whether we're using I2C or SPI, read multiple bytes using the
		I2CreadBytes(xmAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
		SPIreadBytes(xmAddress, subAddress, dest, count);
}

void LSM9DS0::initSPI()
{
	pinMode(gAddress, OUTPUT);
	digitalWrite(gAddress, HIGH);
	pinMode(xmAddress, OUTPUT);
	digitalWrite(xmAddress, HIGH);

SPI.begin();
	// Maximum SPI frequency is 10MHz, could divide by 2 here:
	SPI.setClockDivider(SPI_CLOCK_DIV4);
	// Data is read and written MSb first.
	SPI.setBitOrder(MSBFIRST);
	// Data is captured on rising edge of clock (CPHA = 0)
	// Base value of the clock is HIGH (CPOL = 1)
	SPI.setDataMode(SPI_MODE1);
}

void LSM9DS0::SPIwriteByte(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	digitalWrite(csPin, LOW); // Initiate communication

// If write, bit 0 (MSB) should be 0
	// If single write, bit 1 should be 0
	SPI.transfer(subAddress & 0x3F); // Send Address
	SPI.transfer(data); // Send data

digitalWrite(csPin, HIGH); // Close communication
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::SPIreadByte(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress)
{
	uint8_t temp;
	// Use the multiple read function to read 1 byte. 
	// Value is returned to `temp`.
	SPIreadBytes(csPin, subAddress, &temp, 1);
	return temp;
}

void LSM9DS0::SPIreadBytes(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress,
							uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{
	digitalWrite(csPin, LOW); // Initiate communication
	// To indicate a read, set bit 0 (msb) to 1
	// If we're reading multiple bytes, set bit 1 to 1
	// The remaining six bytes are the address to be read
	if (count > 1)
		SPI.transfer(0xC0 | (subAddress & 0x3F));
	else
		SPI.transfer(0x80 | (subAddress & 0x3F));
	for (int i=0; i<count; i++)
	{
		dest[i] = SPI.transfer(0x00); // Read into destination array
	}
	digitalWrite(csPin, HIGH); // Close communication
}

/* Use for Mini Add-On board
void LSM9DS0::initI2C()
{
// Setup for Master mode, pins 16/17, external pullups, 400kHz
  Wire.begin(I2C_MASTER, 0x00, I2C_PINS_16_17, I2C_PULLUP_EXT, I2C_RATE_400);
}

// Wire.h read and write protocols
        void LSM9DS0::I2CwriteByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);  // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);           // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.write(data);                 // Put data in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission();           // Send the Tx buffer
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::I2CreadByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress)
{
	uint8_t data; // `data` will store the register data	 
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);         // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire.write(subAddress);	                 // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP);             // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
//	Wire.endTransmission(false);             // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive

Wire.requestFrom(address, (size_t) 1);  // Read one byte from slave register address 
	data = Wire.read();                      // Fill Rx buffer with result
	return data;                             // Return data read from slave register
}

void LSM9DS0::I2CreadBytes(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{  
	Wire.beginTransmission(address);   // Initialize the Tx buffer
	// Next send the register to be read. OR with 0x80 to indicate multi-read.
	Wire.write(subAddress | 0x80);     // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP);       // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	//Wire.endTransmission(false);       // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive

uint8_t i = 0;
        Wire.requestFrom(address, (size_t) count);  // Read bytes from slave register address 
	while (Wire.available()) {
        dest[i++] = Wire.read(); }         // Put read results in the Rx buffer
}
*/

// Wire1 for using I2C pins 29/30 for Micro Add-On board

void LSM9DS0::initI2C()
{
	 // Setup for Master mode, pins 29/30, external pullups, 400kHz
  Wire1.begin(I2C_MASTER, 0x00, I2C_PINS_29_30, I2C_PULLUP_EXT, I2C_RATE_400);
 //Wire.begin();
}

// Wire.h read and write protocols
        void LSM9DS0::I2CwriteByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data)
{
	Wire1.beginTransmission(address);  // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire1.write(subAddress);           // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire1.write(data);                 // Put data in Tx buffer
	Wire1.endTransmission();           // Send the Tx buffer
}

uint8_t LSM9DS0::I2CreadByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress)
{
	uint8_t data; // `data` will store the register data	 
	Wire1.beginTransmission(address);         // Initialize the Tx buffer
	Wire1.write(subAddress);	                 // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire1.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP);             // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
//	Wire.endTransmission(false);             // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive

Wire1.requestFrom(address, (size_t) 1);  // Read one byte from slave register address 
	data = Wire1.read();                      // Fill Rx buffer with result
	return data;                             // Return data read from slave register
}

void LSM9DS0::I2CreadBytes(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count)
{  
	Wire1.beginTransmission(address);   // Initialize the Tx buffer
	// Next send the register to be read. OR with 0x80 to indicate multi-read.
	Wire1.write(subAddress | 0x80);     // Put slave register address in Tx buffer
	Wire1.endTransmission(I2C_NOSTOP);       // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive
	//Wire.endTransmission(false);       // Send the Tx buffer, but send a restart to keep connection alive

uint8_t i = 0;
        Wire1.requestFrom(address, (size_t) count);  // Read bytes from slave register address 
	while (Wire1.available()) {
        dest[i++] = Wire1.read(); }         // Put read results in the Rx buffer
}

M5_LSM9DS0.h
Code:
/******************************************************************************
M5_LSM9DS0.h  
M5_LSM9DS0 Library Header File
Original Creation Date: February 14, 2014 (Happy Valentines Day!)

This file prototypes the LSM9DS0 class, implemented in SFE_LSM9DS0.cpp. In
addition, it defines every register in the LSM9DS0 (both the Gyro and Accel/
Magnetometer registers).

IDE: Arduino 1.0.5
	Hardware Platform: Arduino Pro 3.3V/8MHz
	LSM9DS0 Breakout Version: 1.0

This code is beerware; if you see me (or any other SparkFun employee) at the
local, and you've found our code helpful, please buy us a round!

******************************************************************************/
#ifndef __M5_LSM9DS0_H__
#define __M5_LSM9DS0_H__

#if defined(ARDUINO) && ARDUINO >= 100
  #include "Arduino.h"
#else
  #include "WProgram.h"
  #include "pins_arduino.h"
#endif

////////////////////////////
// LSM9DS0 Gyro Registers //
////////////////////////////
#define WHO_AM_I_G			0x0F
#define CTRL_REG1_G			0x20
#define CTRL_REG2_G			0x21
#define CTRL_REG3_G			0x22
#define CTRL_REG4_G			0x23
#define CTRL_REG5_G			0x24
#define REFERENCE_G			0x25
#define STATUS_REG_G		0x27
#define OUT_X_L_G			0x28
#define OUT_X_H_G			0x29
#define OUT_Y_L_G			0x2A
#define OUT_Y_H_G			0x2B
#define OUT_Z_L_G			0x2C
#define OUT_Z_H_G			0x2D
#define FIFO_CTRL_REG_G		0x2E
#define FIFO_SRC_REG_G		0x2F
#define INT1_CFG_G			0x30
#define INT1_SRC_G			0x31
#define INT1_THS_XH_G		0x32
#define INT1_THS_XL_G		0x33
#define INT1_THS_YH_G		0x34
#define INT1_THS_YL_G		0x35
#define INT1_THS_ZH_G		0x36
#define INT1_THS_ZL_G		0x37
#define INT1_DURATION_G		0x38

//////////////////////////////////////////
// LSM9DS0 Accel/Magneto (XM) Registers //
//////////////////////////////////////////
#define OUT_TEMP_L_XM		0x05
#define OUT_TEMP_H_XM		0x06
#define STATUS_REG_M		0x07
#define OUT_X_L_M			0x08
#define OUT_X_H_M			0x09
#define OUT_Y_L_M			0x0A
#define OUT_Y_H_M			0x0B
#define OUT_Z_L_M			0x0C
#define OUT_Z_H_M			0x0D
#define WHO_AM_I_XM			0x0F
#define INT_CTRL_REG_M		0x12
#define INT_SRC_REG_M		0x13
#define INT_THS_L_M			0x14
#define INT_THS_H_M			0x15
#define OFFSET_X_L_M		0x16
#define OFFSET_X_H_M		0x17
#define OFFSET_Y_L_M		0x18
#define OFFSET_Y_H_M		0x19
#define OFFSET_Z_L_M		0x1A
#define OFFSET_Z_H_M		0x1B
#define REFERENCE_X			0x1C
#define REFERENCE_Y			0x1D
#define REFERENCE_Z			0x1E
#define CTRL_REG0_XM		0x1F
#define CTRL_REG1_XM		0x20
#define CTRL_REG2_XM		0x21
#define CTRL_REG3_XM		0x22
#define CTRL_REG4_XM		0x23
#define CTRL_REG5_XM		0x24
#define CTRL_REG6_XM		0x25
#define CTRL_REG7_XM		0x26
#define STATUS_REG_A		0x27
#define OUT_X_L_A			0x28
#define OUT_X_H_A			0x29
#define OUT_Y_L_A			0x2A
#define OUT_Y_H_A			0x2B
#define OUT_Z_L_A			0x2C
#define OUT_Z_H_A			0x2D
#define FIFO_CTRL_REG		0x2E
#define FIFO_SRC_REG		0x2F
#define INT_GEN_1_REG		0x30
#define INT_GEN_1_SRC		0x31
#define INT_GEN_1_THS		0x32
#define INT_GEN_1_DURATION	0x33
#define INT_GEN_2_REG		0x34
#define INT_GEN_2_SRC		0x35
#define INT_GEN_2_THS		0x36
#define INT_GEN_2_DURATION	0x37
#define CLICK_CFG			0x38
#define CLICK_SRC			0x39
#define CLICK_THS			0x3A
#define TIME_LIMIT			0x3B
#define TIME_LATENCY		0x3C
#define TIME_WINDOW			0x3D
#define ACT_THS				0x3E
#define ACT_DUR				0x3F

// The LSM9DS0 functions over both I2C or SPI. This library supports both.
// But the interface mode used must be sent to the LSM9DS0 constructor. Use
// one of these two as the first parameter of the constructor.
enum interface_mode
{
	MODE_SPI,
	MODE_I2C,
};

class LSM9DS0
{
public:
	// gyro_scale defines the possible full-scale ranges of the gyroscope:
	enum gyro_scale
	{
		G_SCALE_245DPS,		// 00:  245 degrees per second
		G_SCALE_500DPS,		// 01:  500 dps
		G_SCALE_2000DPS,	// 10:  2000 dps
	};
	// accel_scale defines all possible FSR's of the accelerometer:
	enum accel_scale
	{
		A_SCALE_2G,	// 000:  2g
		A_SCALE_4G,	// 001:  4g
		A_SCALE_6G,	// 010:  6g
		A_SCALE_8G,	// 011:  8g
		A_SCALE_16G	// 100:  16g
	};
	// mag_scale defines all possible FSR's of the magnetometer:
	enum mag_scale
	{
		M_SCALE_2GS,	// 00:  2Gs
		M_SCALE_4GS, 	// 01:  4Gs
		M_SCALE_8GS,	// 10:  8Gs
		M_SCALE_12GS,	// 11:  12Gs
	};
	// gyro_odr defines all possible data rate/bandwidth combos of the gyro:
	enum gyro_odr
	{							// ODR (Hz) --- Cutoff
		G_ODR_95_BW_125  = 0x0, //   95         12.5
		G_ODR_95_BW_25   = 0x1, //   95          25
		// 0x2 and 0x3 define the same data rate and bandwidth
		G_ODR_190_BW_125 = 0x4, //   190        12.5
		G_ODR_190_BW_25  = 0x5, //   190         25
		G_ODR_190_BW_50  = 0x6, //   190         50
		G_ODR_190_BW_70  = 0x7, //   190         70
		G_ODR_380_BW_20  = 0x8, //   380         20
		G_ODR_380_BW_25  = 0x9, //   380         25
		G_ODR_380_BW_50  = 0xA, //   380         50
		G_ODR_380_BW_100 = 0xB, //   380         100
		G_ODR_760_BW_30  = 0xC, //   760         30
		G_ODR_760_BW_35  = 0xD, //   760         35
		G_ODR_760_BW_50  = 0xE, //   760         50
		G_ODR_760_BW_100 = 0xF, //   760         100
	};
	// accel_oder defines all possible output data rates of the accelerometer:
	enum accel_odr
	{
		A_POWER_DOWN, 	// Power-down mode (0x0)
		A_ODR_3125,		// 3.125 Hz	(0x1)
		A_ODR_625,		// 6.25 Hz (0x2)
		A_ODR_125,		// 12.5 Hz (0x3)
		A_ODR_25,		// 25 Hz (0x4)
		A_ODR_50,		// 50 Hz (0x5)
		A_ODR_100,		// 100 Hz (0x6)
		A_ODR_200,		// 200 Hz (0x7)
		A_ODR_400,		// 400 Hz (0x8)
		A_ODR_800,		// 800 Hz (9)
		A_ODR_1600		// 1600 Hz (0xA)
	};

// accel_abw defines all possible anti-aliasing filter rates of the accelerometer:
	enum accel_abw
	{
		A_ABW_773,		// 773 Hz (0x0)
		A_ABW_194,		// 194 Hz (0x1)
		A_ABW_362,		// 362 Hz (0x2)
		A_ABW_50,		//  50 Hz (0x3)
	};

// mag_oder defines all possible output data rates of the magnetometer:
	enum mag_odr
	{
		M_ODR_3125,	// 3.125 Hz (0x00)
		M_ODR_625,	// 6.25 Hz (0x01)
		M_ODR_125,	// 12.5 Hz (0x02)
		M_ODR_25,	// 25 Hz (0x03)
		M_ODR_50,	// 50 (0x04)
		M_ODR_100,	// 100 Hz (0x05)
	};

// We'll store the gyro, accel, and magnetometer readings in a series of
	// public class variables. Each sensor gets three variables -- one for each
	// axis. Call readGyro(), readAccel(), and readMag() first, before using
	// these variables!
	// These values are the RAW signed 16-bit readings from the sensors.
	int16_t gx, gy, gz; // x, y, and z axis readings of the gyroscope
	int16_t ax, ay, az; // x, y, and z axis readings of the accelerometer
	int16_t mx, my, mz; // x, y, and z axis readings of the magnetometer
        int16_t temperature;
	float abias[3];
        float gbias[3];

// LSM9DS0 -- LSM9DS0 class constructor
	// The constructor will set up a handful of private variables, and set the
	// communication mode as well.
	// Input:
	//	- interface = Either MODE_SPI or MODE_I2C, whichever you're using
	//				to talk to the IC.
	//	- gAddr = If MODE_I2C, this is the I2C address of the gyroscope.
	// 				If MODE_SPI, this is the chip select pin of the gyro (CSG)
	//	- xmAddr = If MODE_I2C, this is the I2C address of the accel/mag.
	//				If MODE_SPI, this is the cs pin of the accel/mag (CSXM)
	LSM9DS0(interface_mode interface, uint8_t gAddr, uint8_t xmAddr);

// begin() -- Initialize the gyro, accelerometer, and magnetometer.
	// This will set up the scale and output rate of each sensor. It'll also
	// "turn on" every sensor and every axis of every sensor.
	// Input:
	//	- gScl = The scale of the gyroscope. This should be a gyro_scale value.
	//	- aScl = The scale of the accelerometer. Should be a accel_scale value.
	//	- mScl = The scale of the magnetometer. Should be a mag_scale value.
	//	- gODR = Output data rate of the gyroscope. gyro_odr value.
	//	- aODR = Output data rate of the accelerometer. accel_odr value.
	//	- mODR = Output data rate of the magnetometer. mag_odr value.
	// Output: The function will return an unsigned 16-bit value. The most-sig
	//		bytes of the output are the WHO_AM_I reading of the accel. The
	//		least significant two bytes are the WHO_AM_I reading of the gyro.
	// All parameters have a defaulted value, so you can call just "begin()".
	// Default values are FSR's of:  245DPS, 2g, 2Gs; ODRs of 95 Hz for 
	// gyro, 100 Hz for accelerometer, 100 Hz for magnetometer.
	// Use the return value of this function to verify communication.
	uint16_t begin(gyro_scale gScl = G_SCALE_245DPS, 
				accel_scale aScl = A_SCALE_2G, mag_scale mScl = M_SCALE_2GS,
				gyro_odr gODR = G_ODR_95_BW_125, accel_odr aODR = A_ODR_50, 
				mag_odr mODR = M_ODR_50);

// readGyro() -- Read the gyroscope output registers.
	// This function will read all six gyroscope output registers.
	// The readings are stored in the class' gx, gy, and gz variables. Read
	// those _after_ calling readGyro().
	void readGyro();

// readAccel() -- Read the accelerometer output registers.
	// This function will read all six accelerometer output registers.
	// The readings are stored in the class' ax, ay, and az variables. Read
	// those _after_ calling readAccel().
	void readAccel();

// readMag() -- Read the magnetometer output registers.
	// This function will read all six magnetometer output registers.
	// The readings are stored in the class' mx, my, and mz variables. Read
	// those _after_ calling readMag().
	void readMag();

// readTemp() -- Read the temperature output register.
	// This function will read two temperature output registers.
	// The combined readings are stored in the class' temperature variables. Read
	// those _after_ calling readTemp().
	void readTemp();

// calcGyro() -- Convert from RAW signed 16-bit value to degrees per second
	// This function reads in a signed 16-bit value and returns the scaled
	// DPS. This function relies on gScale and gRes being correct.
	// Input:
	//	- gyro = A signed 16-bit raw reading from the gyroscope.
	float calcGyro(int16_t gyro);

// calcAccel() -- Convert from RAW signed 16-bit value to gravity (g's).
	// g's. This function relies on aScale and aRes being correct.
	// Input:
	//	- accel = A signed 16-bit raw reading from the accelerometer.
	float calcAccel(int16_t accel);

// calcMag() -- Convert from RAW signed 16-bit value to Gauss (Gs)
	// Gs. This function relies on mScale and mRes being correct.
	// Input:
	//	- mag = A signed 16-bit raw reading from the magnetometer.
	float calcMag(int16_t mag);

// setGyroScale() -- Set the full-scale range of the gyroscope.
	// This function can be called to set the scale of the gyroscope to 
	// 245, 500, or 200 degrees per second.
	// Input:
	// 	- gScl = The desired gyroscope scale. Must be one of three possible
	//		values from the gyro_scale enum.
	void setGyroScale(gyro_scale gScl);

// setAccelScale() -- Set the full-scale range of the accelerometer.
	// This function can be called to set the scale of the accelerometer to
	// 2, 4, 6, 8, or 16 g's.
	// Input:
	// 	- aScl = The desired accelerometer scale. Must be one of five possible
	//		values from the accel_scale enum.
	void setAccelScale(accel_scale aScl);

// setMagScale() -- Set the full-scale range of the magnetometer.
	// This function can be called to set the scale of the magnetometer to
	// 2, 4, 8, or 12 Gs.
	// Input:
	// 	- mScl = The desired magnetometer scale. Must be one of four possible
	//		values from the mag_scale enum.
	void setMagScale(mag_scale mScl);

// setGyroODR() -- Set the output data rate and bandwidth of the gyroscope
	// Input:
	//	- gRate = The desired output rate and cutoff frequency of the gyro.
	//		Must be a value from the gyro_odr enum (check above, there're 14).
	void setGyroODR(gyro_odr gRate);

// setAccelODR() -- Set the output data rate of the accelerometer
	// Input:
	//	- aRate = The desired output rate of the accel.
	//		Must be a value from the accel_odr enum (check above, there're 11).
	void setAccelODR(accel_odr aRate); 	

// setAccelABW() -- Set the anti-aliasing filter rate of the accelerometer
	// Input:
	//	- abwRate = The desired anti-aliasing filter rate of the accel.
	//		Must be a value from the accel_abw enum (check above, there're 4).
	void setAccelABW(accel_abw abwRate);

// setMagODR() -- Set the output data rate of the magnetometer
	// Input:
	//	- mRate = The desired output rate of the mag.
	//		Must be a value from the mag_odr enum (check above, there're 6).
	void setMagODR(mag_odr mRate);

// configGyroInt() -- Configure the gyro interrupt output.
	// Triggers can be set to either rising above or falling below a specified
	// threshold. This function helps setup the interrupt configuration and 
	// threshold values for all axes.
	// Input:
	//	- int1Cfg = A 8-bit value that is sent directly to the INT1_CFG_G
	//		register. This sets AND/OR and high/low interrupt gen for each axis
	//	- int1ThsX = 16-bit interrupt threshold value for x-axis
	//	- int1ThsY = 16-bit interrupt threshold value for y-axis
	//	- int1ThsZ = 16-bit interrupt threshold value for z-axis
	//	- duration = Duration an interrupt holds after triggered. This value
	// 		is copied directly into the INT1_DURATION_G register.
	// Before using this function, read about the INT1_CFG_G register and
	// the related INT1* registers in the LMS9DS0 datasheet.
	void configGyroInt(uint8_t int1Cfg, uint16_t int1ThsX = 0,
						  uint16_t int1ThsY = 0, uint16_t int1ThsZ = 0, 
						  uint8_t duration = 0);

void calLSM9DS0(float gbias[3], float abias[3]);

private:	
	// xmAddress and gAddress store the I2C address or SPI chip select pin
	// for each sensor.
	uint8_t xmAddress, gAddress;
	// interfaceMode keeps track of whether we're using SPI or I2C to talk
	interface_mode interfaceMode;

// gScale, aScale, and mScale store the current scale range for each 
	// sensor. Should be updated whenever that value changes.
	gyro_scale gScale;
	accel_scale aScale;
	mag_scale mScale;

// gRes, aRes, and mRes store the current resolution for each sensor. 
	// Units of these values would be DPS (or g's or Gs's) per ADC tick.
	// This value is calculated as (sensor scale) / (2^15).
	float gRes, aRes, mRes;

// initGyro() -- Sets up the gyroscope to begin reading.
	// This function steps through all five gyroscope control registers.
	// Upon exit, the following parameters will be set:
	//	- CTRL_REG1_G = 0x0F: Normal operation mode, all axes enabled. 
	//		95 Hz ODR, 12.5 Hz cutoff frequency.
	//	- CTRL_REG2_G = 0x00: HPF set to normal mode, cutoff frequency
	//		set to 7.2 Hz (depends on ODR).
	//	- CTRL_REG3_G = 0x88: Interrupt enabled on INT_G (set to push-pull and
	//		active high). Data-ready output enabled on DRDY_G.
	//	- CTRL_REG4_G = 0x00: Continuous update mode. Data LSB stored in lower
	//		address. Scale set to 245 DPS. SPI mode set to 4-wire.
	//	- CTRL_REG5_G = 0x00: FIFO disabled. HPF disabled.
	void initGyro();

// initAccel() -- Sets up the accelerometer to begin reading.
	// This function steps through all accelerometer related control registers.
	// Upon exit these registers will be set as:
	//	- CTRL_REG0_XM = 0x00: FIFO disabled. HPF bypassed. Normal mode.
	//	- CTRL_REG1_XM = 0x57: 100 Hz data rate. Continuous update.
	//		all axes enabled.
	//	- CTRL_REG2_XM = 0x00:  2g scale. 773 Hz anti-alias filter BW.
	//	- CTRL_REG3_XM = 0x04: Accel data ready signal on INT1_XM pin.
	void initAccel();

// initMag() -- Sets up the magnetometer to begin reading.
	// This function steps through all magnetometer-related control registers.
	// Upon exit these registers will be set as:
	//	- CTRL_REG4_XM = 0x04: Mag data ready signal on INT2_XM pin.
	//	- CTRL_REG5_XM = 0x14: 100 Hz update rate. Low resolution. Interrupt
	//		requests don't latch. Temperature sensor disabled.
	//	- CTRL_REG6_XM = 0x00:  2 Gs scale.
	//	- CTRL_REG7_XM = 0x00: Continuous conversion mode. Normal HPF mode.
	//	- INT_CTRL_REG_M = 0x09: Interrupt active-high. Enable interrupts.
	void initMag();

// gReadByte() -- Reads a byte from a specified gyroscope register.
	// Input:
	// 	- subAddress = Register to be read from.
	// Output:
	// 	- An 8-bit value read from the requested address.
	uint8_t gReadByte(uint8_t subAddress);

// gReadBytes() -- Reads a number of bytes -- beginning at an address
	// and incrementing from there -- from the gyroscope.
	// Input:
	// 	- * dest = A pointer to an array of uint8_t's. Values read will be
	//		stored in here on return.
	//	- count = The number of bytes to be read.
	// Output: No value is returned, but the `dest` array will store
	// 	the data read upon exit.
	void gReadBytes(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count);

// gWriteByte() -- Write a byte to a register in the gyroscope.
	// Input:
	//	- subAddress = Register to be written to.
	//	- data = data to be written to the register.
	void gWriteByte(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data);

// xmReadByte() -- Read a byte from a register in the accel/mag sensor
	// Input:
	//	- subAddress = Register to be read from.
	// Output:
	//	- An 8-bit value read from the requested register.
	uint8_t xmReadByte(uint8_t subAddress);

// xmReadBytes() -- Reads a number of bytes -- beginning at an address
	// and incrementing from there -- from the accelerometer/magnetometer.
	// Input:
	// 	- * dest = A pointer to an array of uint8_t's. Values read will be
	//		stored in here on return.
	//	- count = The number of bytes to be read.
	// Output: No value is returned, but the `dest` array will store
	// 	the data read upon exit.
	void xmReadBytes(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count);

// xmWriteByte() -- Write a byte to a register in the accel/mag sensor.
	// Input:
	//	- subAddress = Register to be written to.
	//	- data = data to be written to the register.
	void xmWriteByte(uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data);

// calcgRes() -- Calculate the resolution of the gyroscope.
	// This function will set the value of the gRes variable. gScale must
	// be set prior to calling this function.
	void calcgRes();

// calcmRes() -- Calculate the resolution of the magnetometer.
	// This function will set the value of the mRes variable. mScale must
	void calcmRes();

// calcaRes() -- Calculate the resolution of the accelerometer.
	// This function will set the value of the aRes variable. aScale must
	void calcaRes();

///////////////////
	// SPI Functions //
	///////////////////
	// initSPI() -- Initialize the SPI hardware.
	// This function will setup all SPI pins and related hardware.
	void initSPI();

// SPIwriteByte() -- Write a byte out of SPI to a register in the device
	// Input:
	//	- csPin = The chip select pin of the slave device.
	//	- subAddress = The register to be written to.
	//	- data = Byte to be written to the register.
	void SPIwriteByte(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data);

// SPIreadByte() -- Read a single byte from a register over SPI.
	// Input:
	//	- csPin = The chip select pin of the slave device.
	//	- subAddress = The register to be read from.
	// Output:
	//	- The byte read from the requested address.
	uint8_t SPIreadByte(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress);

// SPIreadBytes() -- Read a series of bytes, starting at a register via SPI
	// Input:
	//	- csPin = The chip select pin of a slave device.
	//	- subAddress = The register to begin reading.
	// 	- * dest = Pointer to an array where we'll store the readings.
	//	- count = Number of registers to be read.
	// Output: No value is returned by the function, but the registers read are
	// 		all stored in the *dest array given.
	void SPIreadBytes(uint8_t csPin, uint8_t subAddress, 
							uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count);

///////////////////
	// I2C Functions //
	///////////////////
	// initI2C() -- Initialize the I2C hardware.
	// This function will setup all I2C pins and related hardware.
	void initI2C();

// I2CwriteByte() -- Write a byte out of I2C to a register in the device
	// Input:
	//	- address = The 7-bit I2C address of the slave device.
	//	- subAddress = The register to be written to.
	//	- data = Byte to be written to the register.
	void I2CwriteByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t data);

// I2CreadByte() -- Read a single byte from a register over I2C.
	// Input:
	//	- subAddress = The register to be read from.
	// Output:
	//	- The byte read from the requested address.
	uint8_t I2CreadByte(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress);

// I2CreadBytes() -- Read a series of bytes, starting at a register via SPI
	// Input:
	//	- subAddress = The register to begin reading.
	// 	- * dest = Pointer to an array where we'll store the readings.
	//	- count = Number of registers to be read.
	// Output: No value is returned by the function, but the registers read are
	// 		all stored in the *dest array given.
	void I2CreadBytes(uint8_t address, uint8_t subAddress, uint8_t * dest, uint8_t count);
};

#endif // M5_LSM9DS0_H //

This time around, I ordered the MPU-9250 micro add on shield. I'm getting ACK but not WHOAMI.

The shield is soldered onto the back of a Teensy 3.2 and the code from https://github.com/kriswiner/MPU-9250, specifically the MPU9250BasicAHRS_t3 code, with the I2C_PINS_16_17 changed to I2C_PINS_29_30 for the microshield (and I2C_RATE_400).

An I2C scanner shows ACK at the address for the sensor (0x68), as expected. However, running the MPU9250BasicAHRS_t3 sketch gives only:

"MPU9250 I AM FF I should be 71
Could not connect to MPU9250: 0xFF"

So it's powered up and responding, but not providing meaningful responses, let alone data.

Is there a sketch specifically for testing the microshield?

Do I need to disconnect pin 33? There's nothing in the Tindie product page about that.

I'm also not getting a response from the mag at 0x0C or the pressure sensor at 0x76. I don't need either, but that suggests something isn't right.

Are you sure you are running with Wire1 and not Wire commands? The back side requires i2c_t3.h wire library and the specific wire1.begin, wire1.write. wire1.etc commands as opposed to the Wire.begin, Wire.write, etc when using the top side pins.

You do want to use i2c_t3. But once you've included i2c_t3.h, if you are using the 2nd i2c controller, you would need to use Wire1 in all of the places that use Wire to talk to the second controller (and use Wire to talk to any of the i2c devices on the main i2c controller). In addition to the changes in your program, you will need to change any Wire references in your library to Wire1.

Now that we have microprocessors with multiple i2c buses, I wish the libraries accessing i2c objects took an optional parameter indicating which bus to use (I haven't looked at the MPU9250 library).

Like the main i2c controller, you will need pull-up resistors between the data pin and 3.3v if your sensor does not have resistors. The normal recommendation for resistors is 2.2K to 4.7K, but depending on the length and electrical characteristics of the wire, you may need to alter the resistance values. I saw this reference some time ago about changing the resistance values: http://www.dsscircuits.com/articles/47-effects-of-varying-i2c-pull-up-resistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back