Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: OctoWS2811 Adaptor + Audio Adaptor Board

OctoWS2811 Adaptor + Audio Adaptor Board

I was unable to find the circtuit diagram for the OctoWS2811 adaptor, and hence want to find out if there are any pin conflicts with the Audio adaptor board.

I am looking to create a project with audio Inputs and outputs (some sort of stereo FFT code) and output directly to about 4m of WS2812B LED string. I am definitly going to use the Teensy 3.1 and the audio board, however was wondering whether I could stack the OctoWS2811 with them as i beleive I will need to buffer the outputs for the LED inputs.

No code as yet, just want to make sure I purchase all the correct components.

Hope this is enough information.

Kind regards,
    Arjun

There are some conflicts if memory serves:
    • Pin 6 is MEMCS for the Audio board and LED #5 on the right jack for the Octows2811;
    • Pin 7 is the alternate MOSI for the Audio board and LED #3 on the right jack for the Octows2811;
    • Pin 12 is the MISO for the Audio board and video sync for the Octows2811;
    • Pin A0 (14) is the alternate SCLK for the Audio board and LED #2 for the left jack for the Octows2811;
    • Pin A1 (15) is the volume for the Audio board and my notes are labeled that it needs to be connected to A2 (16) for the Octows2811;

The alternate MOSI/SCLK are SPI pins and I believed used for the SD drive. Given the LED pins are hooked up to the 74HCT245, it may or may not be useful to use them for anything that involves reading the signal. I don't think MEMCS is used currently. The volume pin may be a problem. However, this is just from a list of pin numbers I got from reading both descriptions.

Many thanks for the info, for some reason I wasnt able to find the description for the Ocotws2811 board. No worries though, I think I will just buy a DIL 74HCT245 and build it on the side for this project.

You are welcome.

For my own uses, I keep a spreadsheet of the various pins on the various microprocessors I use and/or think about using. This page has the Teensy 3.0/3.1 and also the 3 adapters (Octows2811, Audio, and Wiz820io): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...WamxfckE#gid=0

To use OctoWS2811 together with the audio library, you'll need a newer (not yet officially released) version. Here it is:

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/OctoWS2811

Version 1.1 isn't compatible with the audio library.

Paul: Was compatibility fixed between the Audio Adapter and OctoWS2811 Adapter? I am planning on using FastLED instead of Octo library, anything to watch out for?

Yes, the OctoWS2811 has been updated. But these 2 haven't been tested together. Maybe I ought to put that on the list for next week....

Yes please Just purchased a couple Octo adapters to give this a try on our end. I saw another user has had some success as well with careful considerations as to pin conflicts. https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/31672...b-amp-Hardware

A brief write up from you Paul, for obvious errors to avoid would be useful documentation for folks trying this combination, thank you.

Below is the cheat sheet I made when I was building this: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/33624...081#post100081

You need to desolder the cap on the audio board connected to pin 15, and you can't use the SD card, but otherwise you're golden.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AudioOctoCheatSheet2.png 
Views:	183 
Size:	589.8 KB 
ID:	8630

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	schematic_octo28.gif 
Views:	153 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	10351
    What is with 15->16 link on octows2811?
    Am i safe in 2017 to connect octows2811 to audio board and run 8 channels of spectrum analyzer using mic on audio board at pin 15?
    Thanks.

Edit: Using post above I have removed pin connections 15,6,7,12 from teensy->octows2811 and just use as 6 channels of ws2811.
    Last edited by Gibbedy; 05-05-2017 at 03:21 PM.