Newbie looking for Starting Off info...

Status
Not open for further replies.

enggricha

Hello All,

I have a bit of electronics background and have worked with arduinos and PIC microcontroller, I wanted to get started with ARM and was recommended Teensy 3.1. I was wondering if this is the product for me, i tried searching for detailed documentation on teensy like arduinos, but looks like there isnt any??

My question : is the Teensy 3.1 a ideal start to learn ARM controllers for someone who is already knowledgeable about microcontrollers or is it a work around platform like the arduino?

I dont want to just use a ARM, i want to learn ARM controllers - hope you people get the idea.

An emphatic yes!
You can just work with libraries at first, then set the plow deeper and understand a certain library and how it uses the K20 ARM such as the audio library.
And prior to that, you can look at the Cortex M architecture, look at the asm code that comes from the C/C++ compiler, etc.
Low cost too!

Teensy 3.1 aims to give you as much Arduino compatibility as possible. It absolutely is a 32 bit ARM Cortex-M4 chip. Like the AVR-based Arduino, you have full access to all hardware registers. All the core library source code is in hardware/teensy/cores/teensy3, so you can fiddle with as many low-level details as you like. The chip has a pretty incredible number of features and some very powerful & complex peripherals, like the DMA engine and USB port. Usually the most approachable way to learn involves using the already-written support for most stuff and fiddling with one small part at a time.

If you _really_ want to get into learning the chip and contributing to a real project, the Audio Library would be a great place to look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back