Windows 7 blue screen on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

letalis

Are there any known errors with the teensy 3.1 windows 7 driver.

When i shutdown windows, it shows a blue screen. When i disable the device before i shutdown (or unplug it) there is no problem.

Thanks

The "driver" is merely an INF file that tells Windows to load its own USBSER.SYS and SERENUM.SYS drivers. No actual executable driver code is installed.

Next time you get this blue screen, could you take a photo?

I have had bluescreens on one Windows7 machine, which only happened with Teensy 3.1 9not 3.0). The problem was with USBSer.sys and was caused by a previous virus infection on that machine (cleaned up, but the OS was still damaged). The problem did not occur on other Windows7 or Windows 8.1 machines when the same Teensy was plugged in.

So I would recommend a virus scan on that machine and, if you have another available, try on that machine.

In my case, a wipe and OS reinstall was required. The fault was not in the Teensy at all.

I got the following screenshot:

P1010796.JPG

Behind the block is the following text:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer

BUGCODE USB_DRIVER

If this is the first time you've seen this Top error screen,

I also tried virus scanning my machine, no results.
I'll try it on my other machine
Perhaps i can replace the usbser.sys file....

strange........ it tested it on my other machine, all works ok.
I reinstalled my "problem" machine and everything works (also after installing my default set of software).

But then after a windows update... the blue screen returns!

So could it be a windows update ?

I'll guess the update is unrelated.
I keep up with MS's Win7 Home updates (elective) and don't have crashes. And I too have gobs of screwy USB devices.

Funny this came up. A couple of days ago my 3 yr old tripped on the usb cable connected to the teensy and yanked it out of the PC. When I looked back up at the monitor..BSD. I don't remember the exact error it gave me, but it was "USB-something". Hasn't happened since.

Win7 64 Pro, Teensy 3.1 I don't remember if I had arduino IDE or visual studio open at the time.

Last edited:
I'm kind of lost :(

Reinstalled win7 ultimate, turned of all updates and installed only my default (mce) software, drivers etc.

Then most of the time my machine shuts down just fine, however it looks random that it shows a BSOD. I can't put my finger on the problem. It can't be Windows, or the default software.
I also tested with dummy software on my teensy (perhaps there was some strange problem there??), but the random BSOD are still the same, so that's not it eigther.

I have no BSOD when I:
-Unplug the teensy
-Disable the usb device in the device manager
-Push the reset button on the teensy just before i power down.

I also noticed that when I have run my software (on machine side) my BSOD is always there (unless i do 1 of the 3 steps above).

My own software / hardware configuration is the following:
Teensy 3,1 --> connected to w2811 leds & usb is connected to my machine
The teensy runs software that (in the loop) read out the serial data that is send from my application on my machine.

Machine (win7 ultimate)
Runs custom software that analyses the screen (ambilight clone) and sends the led color status to the serial port of the teensy device.

Anyone any surgrestions? I start to think that my test result on the other machine could have also been random :s

try to get a blue screen crash using a variety of other USB devices that aren't mainstream flash drives and the like? Such as some USB/Serial adapter cables, USB hubs, etc?

Or put code like blinky on the Teensy 3 so there's no USB attempted activity on-going.

Maybe your USB device is faulting when it is sending/receiving data during a shutdown. If it is your own program you are running on your PC, maybe you can handle this by detecting a system shutdown and have it stop sending data out the USB device and/or have it send a special message telling the Teensy that the system is shuting down and have it also stop sending data...

Just a thought.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I have tried flashing the teensy with dummy software in combination with running my software. But also on shutdown BSOD.

After that i have tried rebooting a couple of times (without running my software). Randomly it gives BSOD.

There are no other devices that cause this error, my machine was BSOD for the first time when my teensy was connected.

The software on my teensy does the followin:
Set process
{
init led lights
opens serial port
send "Ok" message on serial
}

Loop process
{
listen on incomming data
process the led color info
(there is no sleep action here!)
}

Have you simplified the teensy side software to be, say, just the blinky demo. Then see if you get any BSODs?

Hi everybody.

With my win7 64 bits and my teensy 3.1, today it has showed the same error when i have shutdown the PC.

P1010796.JPG

---

Can i reinstall the Teensy Driver?

Or maybe it has happened because i have plugged the teensy in another usb port?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Teensy driver is the windows USB driver, with a Teensy-specific INF file that's data, no code.
Moving USB ports is often done. I have 7 ports and many Teensy boards coming and going. Win 7 64 bit never has blue-screen'd me.
Maybe
Bad USB software within Windows. Try plug/unplug USB drives, flash memory sticks, etc. and see if it crashes.
Something in the power supply or hub you're using? I doubt it would crash windows though.
Sorry, you have a doggy problem to troubleshoot.
Got another PC on which you can run all this and see if it is stable?
Or a spare drive: install windows on that drive, boot in same PC. Observe.

Can i reinstall the Teensy Driver?

You can run the installer again, but that probably won't make any difference.

You can remove the driver while Teensy is not in use, using this tutorial.

https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-find-hidden-com-ports/overview

This might show you other long-forgotten stuff, which might be causing trouble?

After removing the device and rebooting, you could run the installer again. I have no idea if that will make any difference.

If you don't have any recent backups, I'd highly recommend backing up any important data before you go any further. Backups are always a good idea. If you don't normally (or ever) make backups, this might seem overly paranoid, but Microsoft Windows has a tendency to get really messed up. This blue screen issue might be nothing serious, or it might a harginger of terrible Windows problems to come. I'm make sure all important data is backed up now, while everything is still more or less working!

Thanks a lot for the tips.

I am going to check them.

It's very strange, because with my another computer (windows vista), this error never has happened.

I'll keep you posted

Hi again

Problem Solved

Some conflite between USB teensy and Realtek Audio drivers/games updates that i installed yesterday, because i have restored the windows 7 with a previous backup (2 weeks ago) and now the error has dissappeared when i shutdown the PC.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Is this Realtek driver available for download somewhere? Or could you send me a copy or post it here?

I'd like to give it a try here on a Windows test machine and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Maybe I'd also need the same Realtek hardware? Any info on what hardware is needed would help.

Is a realtek audio driver from my mainboard CD ( Gygabyte GA-P55-US3L)

But let me that i do some tests, because i have reinstalled win 7 and i am going to connect the teensy again. (Because i am not sure if the problem is with another device or driver)

Last edited:
Hi again

After reinstall Win 7, the teensy works well and the error has gone.

Maybe one temporal conflict between drivers, because now i have installed all mainboard cd drivers and everything is ok.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi again

Bad News.

The same error has shown when i shutdown the computer (if i close de user session, no problem. Only happens when i shutdown the PC)

In my laptop windows vista always has worked perfectly, without fails.

Windows 7 64 bits service pack1. clean installation.
mainboard ( Gygabyte GA-P55-US3L) with drivers installed

Teensy with joystick 16 bits installed. http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23681-Many-axis-joystick?p=41790&viewfull=1#post41790
With Driver Teensy USB COM
(Tensyduino not installed)

If i disconnect the usb cable of teensy and i shutdown the computer, the error dissappears.

:(

Few days ago worked well. I think is something of directx or similar, because i have only installed a software of simulation IRACING. No more drivers installed or programs installed.

Last edited:
This sounds like a device driver that doesn't work properly when windows calls it with the shutdown API instruction. I wonder if Bluescreen info can confirm.

I suppose you have to follow traditional troubleshooting... remove/disable all non-essential drivers; run no optional apps. (IRACING). Get to a point where it doesn't crash on shutdown. Then add-back, one by one.
If you use USB/Serial - be CERTAIN that it is FTDI's chipset and windows driver for FTDI. If not, get a USB/Serial that uses FTDI's chip - maybe 50% of products do. Or get one from FTDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back