LCD programming help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyahoy

Hi. This simple sketch is not working properly. Can someone look at it and let me know if there is something wrong? When I first compile and then hit the pushbutton on the Teensy it does print the text, but after powering down and then powering up the LCD it does not display the text. It is backlit with power, but no text shown. Thank you in advance!

Teensy 3.1
Serial Enabled 16x2 LCD - White on Black 3.3V - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9067
Arduino Teensyduino w/ SerLCD

Windows 7

wired power to LCD from 3.3V and GND to GND
wired the LCD RX to Teensy pin 10 TX2

// SparkFun Serial LCD example 1
// Clear the display and say "Hello World!"

// This sketch is for Arduino versions 1.0 and later
// If you're using an Arduino version older than 1.0, use
// the other example code available on the tutorial page.

// Use the softwareserial library to create a new "soft" serial port
// for the display. This prevents display corruption when uploading code.
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

// Attach the serial display's RX line to digital pin 10
SoftwareSerial mySerial(9,10); // pin 10 = TX, pin 9 = RX (unused)

void setup()
{
mySerial.begin(9600); // set up serial port for 9600 baud
delay(500); // wait for display to boot up
}

void loop()
{
mySerial.write(254); // move cursor to beginning of first line
mySerial.write(128);

mySerial.write(" "); // clear display
mySerial.write(" ");

mySerial.write(128);

mySerial.write("VC REV-VAR LOOP ");
mySerial.write(" RPMS +0000 ");

while(1); // wait forever
}

The only thing i can find on the web is that when powering up the TX line might be sending out garbage that could corrupt the LCD. Does the Teensy 3.1 send garbage out of PIN 10 during power up? Sometimes the LCD will be blank and other times it will have random characters on it. I thought the code creating the new "soft" serial port would alleviate this, but maybe not?

Any ideas?

thank you

The only thing i can find on the web is that when powering up the TX line might be sending out garbage that could corrupt the LCD. Does the Teensy 3.1 send garbage out of PIN 10 during power up? Sometimes the LCD will be blank and other times it will have random characters on it. I thought the code creating the new "soft" serial port would alleviate this, but maybe not?

Any ideas?

thank you
Shotgun response, but have you tried with the hardware serial (Serial1 for example) vs software serial....I just never use soft serial with Teensy. If that does not work post up and I'll pull out an LCD and give it a try (not sure I have the sparkfun version but probably something similar enough)

Does it work if you change the delay to more than 500 ms?

Or what if you put all the code into loop(), and remove the while(1) wait forever, so it keeps trying to redraw every half second?

Does it work if you change the delay to more than 500 ms?

Or what if you put all the code into loop(), and remove the while(1) wait forever, so it keeps trying to redraw every half second?

Yes! It does work if I put the code into the loop() area.

Still using the soft serial code way shown above. Not sure if I should be worried about the LCD corruption during the boot up. I've turned it on and off maybe 30 times now and seems fine.

Should I try switching to the hardware serial? Less chance of corruption?

thanks!!

Note, Teensy's SoftwareSerial package will use Serial2 if rx == 9 and tx == 10. What speed are your running your Teensy at?

Note, Teensy's SoftwareSerial package will use Serial2 if rx == 9 and tx == 10. What speed are your running your Teensy at?

I see 9600 baud called out in the code. Here is my latest code btw:

You see any issues?

Code:
// Use the softwareserial library to create a new "soft" serial port
// for the display. This prevents display corruption when uploading code.
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

// Initialize constants that refer to specific pins on the Teensy
const int ledPin = 13;
const int CVin = 14;
const int PWMout = 22;

// Initialize variables, names are arbitrary
int CVvalue = 0;
int dutyCycle = 0;
char tempstring[10];

// Attach the serial display's RX line to digital pin 10
SoftwareSerial mySerial(9,10); // pin 10 = TX, pin 9 = RX (unused)

// This setup() function runs once when power is applied to the Teensy or its reprogrammed
void setup(){

mySerial.begin(9600); // set up serial port for 9600 baud
  delay(1000); // wait for display to boot up

// Initialize the serial COM port for debug
  Serial.begin(38400);                 // Baud rate is not critical

// Initialize pins as either OUTPUT or INPUT
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(PWMout, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(CVin, INPUT);

// Initialize PWM module
  analogWriteFrequency(PWMout, 2000);  // PWM frequency is 2kHz
  analogWriteResolution(10);           // 10-bits of resolution = 0-1024
  analogWrite(PWMout, dutyCycle);      // program starts with PWM output at zero

mySerial.write(128);
  mySerial.write("                "); // clear display
  mySerial.write("                ");
  mySerial.write(128);
  mySerial.write("   RPMS +0000   ");
}

// The loop() runs forever.
void loop(){

CVvalue = analogRead(CVin);          // sample the analog value

dutyCycle = CVvalue;                 // do math here to scale/limit/adjust the sample value 

analogWrite(PWMout, dutyCycle);      // update the PWM duty-cycle with the new value

Serial.print("CV is:");              // spit out the variables on the serial bus
  Serial.print(CVin);
  Serial.print(" DutyCycle is:");
  Serial.println(dutyCycle);

digitalWrite(ledPin,!digitalRead(ledPin));  // toggle LED on the Teensy (heartbeat)
                                              //...might look always on because it's toggling so fast

sprintf(tempstring,"%4d",dutyCycle); // create strings from the numbers
                                       // right-justify to 4 spaces

mySerial.write(128);
  mySerial.write("   RPMS  ");

mySerial.write(254); // move cursor to second line 10th space
  mySerial.write(201);

mySerial.write(tempstring);

}

On Teensy 3.1, if you use SoftwareSerial with pins that are real serial, it will automatically use HardwareSerial. There's a tiny bit of extra overhead, because you're calling the SoftwareSerial function which in turn calls the Serial2 function, but that extra CPU time is tiny.

My guess is that serial LCD takes quite a while to boot up.

This is actually a common problem when using stuff designed for regular Arduino Uno. The normal Arduino boards boot up slowly. Teensy 3.1 boots up very fast. Normally fast boot is a good thing, but if you're talking to something else that boots up slowly, you'll have to wait until it's ready.

On Teensy 3.1, if you use SoftwareSerial with pins that are real serial, it will automatically use HardwareSerial. There's a tiny bit of extra overhead, because you're calling the SoftwareSerial function which in turn calls the Serial2 function, but that extra CPU time is tiny.

My guess is that serial LCD takes quite a while to boot up.

This is actually a common problem when using stuff designed for regular Arduino Uno. The normal Arduino boards boot up slowly. Teensy 3.1 boots up very fast. Normally fast boot is a good thing, but if you're talking to something else that boots up slowly, you'll have to wait until it's ready.

ahhh... thank you very much Paul. This explains it. That is why it works so well when the LCD print commands are in the loop. I think I'm all set then. Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back