Cake boards!!!! Biscuit boards!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, it is niche product, and it will likely have niche pricing.

I bought their previous kickstarter offering (stress free wire stripper attachment), and I really like it. However, I am on the fence about both cake board and biscuit board. I think the biscuit board would have been useful to me about six months ago, where I had some problems with wires coming out of the breadboards when using in an art project that was moved around a bit. However, since I have gotten better with my soldering, it is less of an issue. There are a few things where having 7 rows of pins meet at the middle would help (rasberry pi/beaglebone black with their two rows of, ICSP programmers, nRF24L01+ radios, etc.), but a lot things expect the 0.2" separation in the normal DIP spacing (and Teensy of course wants a 0.4" separation).

Now if I were to design a bread/proto board, it would have 3 power rails on each side (on the Teensy, one for ground, one for 5v, and one for 3.3v). Each row of data pins would have power rails, that are exactly 0.1" away from the data pin, so that you can connect servos and analog sensors directly with a 3 wire core. I am undecided about the middle 0.2". Sometimes I would like the cake board solution, of having the data pins extend those last two rows, sometimes I want 2 power rails to go down there, and on a few boards, I've seen having rows of 2 pin connectors, that could also be useful (for example light + resistor to ground).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back