RC controller stick input bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyod

Hey everyone!

What I would like to do is automate certain stick movements on an RC transmitter so that the person operating it doesn't have to hold a certain position long, while keeping the placement accurate. I have taken it apart and the stick in the "untouched" state has about 1.60V, moving it to one side causes the voltage to go down to max 1.35V, or right to max 1.85V (iirc).
What I'm usure about is how to bypass this, but without disabling the physical sticks.
So for example there would be a small LCD and buttons wired to the Teensy. Using the buttons, I would set speed forward of 4 (ie. on a scale of 1-10). This would translate to setting 1.7V on the certain controller pin. I would then press a "Go" button and the human stick movement would be emulated until a "Stop" button is pressed. BUT in case I wanted to physically speed it up with the stick, it could do so, above 1.7 to 1.85 logically.
From previous projects, I am guessing I would be using analogWrite with the 0.50V (1.35-1.85) converted to a resolution ie. 100, where 50 would be zero movement and every + or - 1 would mean a total of 49 increments of movement in either direction (much better than a human hand can hold steady). In other words the physical lets say 1 inch of movement one way would be digitally converted into 49 (or more) "steps". Imagine an RC car that can keep going around in a "perfect" circle at a steady speed. Not accounting for physical characteristics like wheel camber etc., not yet anyways.
The gadget would be mounted to the controller, not into the car as I have seen in some videos. This way I would use the current Tx and no changes would be made in the toy.

In short, what I'm asking for is just a nudge regarding the lowering and increase of the voltage range using the Teensy, adding or subtracting approx. 0.01V per "step", thus not corrupting the actual voltages going through the stick pots. Possibly a digital potenciometer?

I should add that I don't want the sticks to be physically moved by the Teensy via servos for example. When the gadget is operating, emulating a movement, nothing is happening with the sticks, they're in their default center position.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back