Programming Multiple Teensy's

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlb

How do I program multiple Teensy 3.1's, different code in the two Teensy's? I have seen it referred to, but can't find any instructions. (And forum search doesn't work very well with multiple words.) I would like to have the two Teensy's both hooked up to my computer at the same time on different USB ports.

I tried starting two teensy.exe bootloader windows, but only one started.

I am running Windows.

Thanks,

TLB

Any of the IDEs can do that. For the Arduino IDE, run separate instances of the IDE. Switching among them and the Serial Monitor for each is difficult.

For Atmel Studio/VisualMicro plugin for Teensy, run one instance of the IDE, one "solution", and multiple projects, each with it's own code and download port. Switch between active projects by right-clicking on the project in the Explorere tree and choose Set As Startup Project - which means when you hit F5, that project is the one that will be downloaded.
Eclipse has a similar concept.

Can I run Teensy 3.x with Atmel Studio without the VisualMicro plugin? I'm using some Teensyduino routines, but I don't have a standard Arduino setup, I use the makefile. I was satisfied with my setup (like gvim), except that now I need the capability to program two Teensy's hooked up simultaneously. I like to try for the minimum extra to make that happen.

Thanks,

TLB

I loaded the Atmel Studio/Visual Micro IDE and have two Teensy 3.1's hooked up. I am having trouble getting automatic compile and download to switch between the two Teensy's. I select between the two COM ports (COM9 and COM10) on my system, and the output says "Uploading to I/O board using 'COM10'" (or COM9) depending which I select on the GUI. But the same Teensy gets programmed regardless.

I can press the button on a Teensy, and that one will get programmed, but this automatic switching from the GUI does not seem to be working. Any ideas?

Thanks,

TLB

I use VS/VM and multiple Teensy 3s. But I haven't done what you're doing.
Try hitting F7 after you change com port selection in the IDE. It won't have to rebuild, just update the VM internal XML file for uploading.

Could you tell me what you are doing? How is your system set up and how did you set up the download port for the individual projects. I am still in the 'stumble thru' mode using this system.

Thanks,

TLB

With Atmel Visual Studio + VIsual Micro.. Teensy's that are plugged in appear as COM port numbers in the drop-down choices of the visual Micro toolbar. That toolbar presumably is there in your system... it's where the choices of target boards are listed (Teensy vs. an Arduino board).
I simply choose the right target (teensy 3.0, 3.1), hit F7 to build, then choose the right COM port from that toolbar and click download.

Nothing special to setup for each project.
You do have to have a proper boards.txt file for Teensy, in the Teensy folder tree (not the Arduino tree), and that file needs to have the teensy specific options edited in. Here are the options I have in mine, for Teensy 3.1.

teensy31.build.option1=-mthumb
teensy31.build.option2=-nostdlib
teensy31.build.option3=-D__MK20DX256__
teensy31.build.option4=-DTEENSYDUINO=118
teensy31.build.option5=-DF_CPU=96000000
teensy31.build.option6=-DUSB_SERIAL
teensy31.build.option7=-DLAYOUT_US_ENGLISH

The visual micro installation instructions are good, and the user forum for it is great, esp. the author (Tim) who responds for help immediately (he's in the UK time zone).

Simple answer to programming multiple Teensy's - just plug the Teensy's into different USB ports, and press the download button on the appropriate Teensy. So I just drag the .hex files to the Teensy loader, and press the button. And kept my same gvim/makefile system. I did lose the automatic download I had with a single Teensy.

I couldn't get Visual Studio/Visual Micro to load the correct Teensy on my system. And asking Tim, I got referred back to Paul. The Visual Studio did look like it had some nice features, including a very nice name completion, but not enough to be motivated to learn a new system at this point given the download problem. And I didn't like the minute plus load time. Reading the Visual Micro forum, it appears Microsoft has come out with a free Visual Studio Community Edition so this might be something I might look into in the future.

Thanks again for your help Stevech.

TLB

I use Visual Studio/Visual Micro on Win 7 and don't have those download issues. Downloads are fast.
Visual Studio Community Edition is great - free. It's VIsual Studio 2013. Visual Micro works with it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back