Mac OS X 10.9 No Serial Ports for Teensy 3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcsteeze

Hello,
I have a brand new Teensy 3.1 but when I got to change the sketch in the Arduino IDE, it does not recognize any of my serial ports (when the Teensy is plugged in). The only ones that appear are Bluetooth serial ports.

The Teensy blinks fine, and the light turns off when I press reset. Similarly, a mouse plugged into the USB port works so I know my port is working correctly. However, following the advice here http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,93360.0.html and checking shows the Teensy is not recognized by my computer.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

There are posts here explaining that teensy uses a special USB protocol for downloading. Only if the downloaded program uses Serial will a COM port (windows) appear. This confuses AVR Arduino newbies.

Only if the downloaded program uses Serial will a COM port (windows) appear.
As the title of my post explains, I am using a Mac running OS X. Many, many times before I have used it with both the Arduino Uno and Teensy boards. What I am trying to explain (as clear as possible) is that now there are no (not cu.usb not tty.usb) ports available in the Serial Port drop down window in the IDE.

As the title of my post explains, I am using a Mac running OS X. Many, many times before I have used it with both the Arduino Uno and Teensy boards. What I am trying to explain (as clear as possible) is that now there are no (not cu.usb not tty.usb) ports available in the Serial Port drop down window in the IDE.

You haven't given any useful info! Like:
  1. Arduino version?
  2. Teensyduino version?
  3. CPU speed?
  4. It works with other teensy's?
  5. I pushed the "Program Button" with usb attached
  6. This is the sketch I'm trying upload?

----> sketch here.......

edit: I have been using 10.9 with no problems.

You haven't given any useful info! Like:
  1. Arduino version?
  2. Teensyduino version?
  3. CPU speed?
  4. It works with other teensy's?
  5. I pushed the "Program Button" with usb attached
  6. This is the sketch I'm trying upload?

----> sketch here.......

Normally these would be valid questions but I am not sure they matter here (as teensyduino appears after a sketch has begun to be uploaded, here there is no selected port to even upload to...)

I am using Arduino 1.0.5
I am using the latest version of Teensyduino 1.19
My CPU Speed is 2GHz
Yes it has worked with other teensys
When you say "Program button" I assume you are talking about the reset button which I have pressed.
I am trying to upload the blink sketch, (but it doesn't matter as it won't show up at all). In case you are unfamiliar:

Code:
/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
 */

// Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards.
// Pin 11 has the LED on Teensy 2.0
// Pin 6  has the LED on Teensy++ 2.0
// Pin 13 has the LED on Teensy 3.0
// give it a name:
int led = 13;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {                
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  pinMode(led, OUTPUT);     
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
  digitalWrite(led, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(led, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);               // wait for a second
}

You can see in the picture it is as if there is nothing connected at all. Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 11.31.35 PM.png

I read all of the troubleshooting information but I am still confused. In the system profiler the Teensy 3.1 does not show up at all (Even as a USB device).

When I plug it into my computer, the blink sketch runs.

When I change the blink (to a shorter blink) and upload, I get the following:

Code:
Please press the RESET BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.  Auto-reboot only works if the Teensy is running a previous sketch.

When I press the RESET BUTTON all that happens is that the original blink sketch (from the factory stops) and then nothing happens. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 4.49.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 5.19.13 PM.png

How did I miss it

I (stupidly) missed an important line in the troubleshooting docs:
the problem is almost certainly a faulty USB cable. Many USB cables made for charging devices have only power wires but no data lines.

Thank you for documenting everything so well Paul

Cheap cables has only power line...a saving of 2 bucks cost you how many hours ? :)

Glad that you got it sorted out...I was about to suggest you to try another cable.

Yup, those power-only USB cables are a real headache. Seems like at least one person hits this every week, sometimes more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back