ESP8266 Wifi chip for $7 $USD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first sample today. the firmware and documentation is pretty rough. I have not gotten it to do anything but responding with the firmware version. Can some one remind me the max mA i can drive from a T3? trying to figure out if i need a separate power source or not.

@TheMike - Good write-up on the ESP8266. For $7 even though it needs 1 amp is still a great wifi module.
Now if someone could come up with a Teensy 3x library for this chip it would be great.

Last edited:
Here´s an instructable....perhaps it´s helpful for someone...?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Using-the-ESP8266-module/

There appears to be so many different firmware (and maybe hardware) versions so a lot of the online examples does not work unless you have that specific version. I have hooked this up to a serial port on my laptop and an can now successfully send UDP packages and emulate a single command on my hometheater remote :) TCP test is next. Note of caution - make sure you are feeding it enough juice at least 200-250mA . I was powering it from the usb<->ttl and i got random reboots. I didn't have a suitable 3.3v source available, so it is currently powered from the 3.3v pin on an UNO, which supports up to 500mA. I want to use the T3 for the project due to the small form factor and the TouchRead, but with the need for an extra powersource it may make sense just to do do the UNO and capSense.

Search on line for 3.3VDC wall transformer. Lots available for a few dollars.
I have a Game Boy "AC adapter" - 350mA. Was low cost at Radio Shack years ago. I cut the plug off and soldered on the type I wanted.

I ordered a few of these little modules. Not sure if I'll have time to do much with them, at least for a month, but they'll be here if needed.

Search on line for 3.3VDC wall transformer. Lots available for a few dollars.
I have a Game Boy "AC adapter" - 350mA. Was low cost at Radio Shack years ago. I cut the plug off and soldered on the type I wanted.

My current power supply is supposed to 500mA. either it is not 500mA or the little thing draws more than 500mA in AP mode.

Got a LM2596 voltage regulator of Ebay and using it it with an old laptop power supply. This seems to have resolved all the stability issues.

I've played with one of these - very frustrating! I'm looking to use them in student projects. I've done a little write up: http://www.cse.dmu.ac.uk/~sexton/ESP8266/
It's very 'work in progress' but better than some of the stuff floating around

This is a great write up and example. I solved most of my problems with a better power supply. I would not go with anything less that 500ma. I have a simple setup running T3: Touch input from -> Serial Tx -> and ESP: Serial Rx -> UDP write. The remaining challenge is that the ESP8266 sometimes doesnt respond to AT+RST after reboot. I will consider to use your hard reset model in setup() there is also people who have success with sending "+++" to get the ESP8266 in listen mode. Not sure if this works with all firmware versions.

I

Thanks CheapB :)
I grew tired of the thing locking up & not responding to AT+RST. Hard reset seems a bit brutal but it seems to work...
I'll leave it running overnight.

Ian

The hard reset works great - thanks for bringing this to the discussion. I am doing a hard reset in the setup() and got rid of the soft reset all together and it works great. Next step is to tackle the power situation. I want to get rid of the separate power supplies for the ESP8266 and the T3 and use a single supply with a level converter.

ESP8266 and teensy 3.1

Hi,

I have recently bought an ESP8266 and I am trying to interface with the teensy 3.1. I am trying to power it up using the 3.3V pin available on the teensy 3.1. I am using the pin on which is not written that the max current is 100 mA but I am running the power from the USB.

I have a couple of questions and problems:
1) When I try to upload a sketch I have problems in doing it, the programming part get stuck and doesnt program the board. Is anyone experiencing anything similar?If I unplug the antenna power then I can program normally the teensy.
Does anyone has an idea?

2) About the power source it seems that is working when connected to the 3.3V pin of the teensy. The strange thing is that I need to touch the ESP8266 to let it exit from the reset state. After I do that I see it on the wifi connection of the laptop. Has anyone an idea about this as well?

3)Paul have you tried connecting the antenna to the Teensy 3.1 directly?

Cheers
Ugo

Thanks Frank!

I do not need to connect to the internet but only creating a link between the laptop and the Teensy.But it is strange because the laptop sees the antenna and connects to it...did you experience anything similar when you first tried to use the ESP8266?
By connecting to the switching regulator do you have problems in programming the Teensy while the ESP8266 is connected to it?

Did you connect the switching regulator to the VUSB pin available on the Teensy 3.1?What regulator have you used?Can you suggest me a tiny little board that can takes in 7.4 volts from 2 cells Lipo battery and give out 5V and 3.3V regulated with enough amps for the antenna?

No, with sufficiant power, there are no problems.
Uh.. the regulator is very small.. don't remember where bought it.. hm.. but i can find out.
It's connected to VUSB, yes.

Image1.png
Thats the regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back