How do I connect 2 Teensy 3.1s wirelessly (not WiFi or BT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSum

Does anyone have a solution for 2-way communication between 2 Teensy 3.1s?

I've tried CC3000 connecting to a website and have found it to be intermittently unstable.
I looked into Bluetooth but I don't have the skills to write an Android and/or iOS app.

It's looking like a pair of 433Mhz transceivers would do the trick. Has anyone had success
using these on a Teensy 3.1?

Thanks.

433 Mhz transceivers will work, but the range varies wildly in conditions and depending on the quality of your module.

Bluetooth could still work for you, without a central iphone/android node.

http://forum.pjrc.com/threads/12337-Can-anyuone-recommend-a-Bluetooth-module-for-use-with-the-Teensy

I have no experience with it, but I believe most of these libraries would abstract the bluetooth system into a simple serial communication system,, not unlike using the serial cable (which you might have experience with.)

Many options depending on needs. I have used xbees with teensys. Have some other wireless stuff I keep meaning to test as well.

Xbees have a lot of support and tutorials. Kurt brings up a great option.

433Mhz will be the cheapest though, and also full of plenty of tutorials. Expect the range to be less, though. Design for less than a fifth (i'm guessing) of expected range for a given module, unless you're ready to work hard to optimize that.

Well, ok. Using that seems much easier than writing a phone app. Maybe later I can hire someone to write it. :)

I may go ahead and try this just for fun. 433Mhz from what I read is a little more tricky than just simple serial
communications. I can handle serial. I've been doing that since 1984..

Thanks.

I have used 2.4 GHz NRf24L01+ radios (2 for $6 delivered! on Tindie) and they work fine and are easy to program in Teensiduino. They are only good to about 40 feet through one stucco wall. If you need longer range, the lower freq radios might be better.

You bought a Broadcom Bluetooth module. This is likely to also suffer from low range. Depending on your application, the nRF radios might be better.

Last edited:
@onehorse
How did you get the nrf24l01+ to work with Teensy (and which ones)? I have a pair of nrf24l01 working with no problem on Teensy 3, but if I replace them with nrf24l01+ (with appropriate change for pinout) the receiver sees the first packet (humidity+temp reading) from the Tx but nothing else after that. I've been tearing my hair out over it for about a week and today gave up and went back to using the nrf24l01 but I would like to get the nrf24l01+ working if it can be done.

Pete

Well, I built my own boards for one. I did have some trouble using the $3 boards from China, and I wonder if it is the quality of manufacture or the specific design of the boards you have chosen that is causing your problem. See post #37 from this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back