Teensy 2 outputs random data to Teensyduino Serial Monitor when "Hello World" is sent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Teensy 2 outputs random data to Teensyduino Serial Monitor when "Hello World" is sent

Hello!

I'm using a Teensy 2.0 as a controller on a keyboard (Ergodox). My keyboard was not recognized by my computer so I wanted to see whether the actual serial communication works as expected.

I compiled and downloaded this program (which I took from one of your tutorials) to the Teensy:

Code:
void setup()   {                
  Serial.begin(38400);
}

void loop()                     
{
  Serial.println("Hello World");
  delay(1000);
}

As you can see, this should send "Hello World" to the computer every second.

What happens is that random data is sent ONCE to the computer. Here's an example of that data:

Code:
�#9<
HZ

I have also tried to run other programs such as the "01. Simple > Blink"-program. That works as expected.

When activating the Halfkay bootloader the device is recognized by my computer (/var/log/kern.log):

Code:
Oct  3 19:58:10 shinji kernel: [10740.252579] usb 8-2: new full-speed USB device number 55 using uhci_hcd
Oct  3 19:58:11 shinji kernel: [10740.403434] usb 8-2: New USB device found, idVendor=16c0, idProduct=0478
Oct  3 19:58:11 shinji kernel: [10740.403440] usb 8-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=0, SerialNumber=0
Oct  3 19:58:11 shinji kernel: [10740.407815] hid-generic 0003:16C0:0478.0048: hidraw4: USB HID v1.11 Device [HID 16c0:0478] on usb-0000:00:1d.2-2/input0

I appreciate any help I can get!

Thank you

Edit: Here are some more information about my setup

Linux x86_64 (Debian jessie)
Arduino 1.0.5
Teensyduino 1.19
Teensy loader 1.19

I took some photos with my phone but they were too blurry, so tomorrow I will borrow a better camera and upload pictures of the soldering.

I added the phone photos until I get better ones, here is an album with the photos of the Teensy soldering top and bottom: http://imgur.com/a/O8y8k

Last edited:
After you've uploaded the code, make sure you select the correct port in Tools > Serial Ports.

That garbage is very likely from some other device, completely unrelated to Teensy.

if you are using Arduino Serial monitor Select the appropriate baud rate according to your program it should be 38400.

After you've uploaded the code, make sure you select the correct port in Tools > Serial Ports.

That garbage is very likely from some other device, completely unrelated to Teensy.

I had /dev/ttyUSB0 selected, and a baud rate of 9600 in the serial monitor. I basically did everything wrong :)

After checking /var/log/kern.log I saw that the device was registered as /dev/ttyACM1, so I used that device and changed the baud rate to 38400. Now everything works as expected!

Thanks for your time and sorry for the noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back