Best External editor for teensy 3.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pensive

Hi all

I've been looking at alternative IDE's but I'm not sure I want to introduce additional complexity and compilation problems.

Eclipse seems too clunky, the visual studio plugin (atmel / ms) looks tempting, though.

Which is the best external editor solution supporting autocomplete, and how effective is it?

I had a bad experience with Sublime and Cappuccino (cocoa for the web) not because of sublime but I found the autocomplete pretty useless.

Does anyone use visual studio w/ teensy 3.1 and audio library, can you report on how effective it is?

And which external editor offers autocomplete, and is there any context sensitive help?

Cheers

Jon

From your post it's a little unclear whether you are looking for an IDE or for an Editor. That's not exactly the same thing.
Also, are you on Mac OSX ?
I believe Visual Studio is a Windows only solution.
The Eclipse Arduino Plugin works fine for me and I've not had more compilation problems than with the Arduino IDE, which I find the most clunkiest of all solutions ;-)
Also on the Mac there is embedXcode

That's because I'm unclear!

I'd prefer an IDE to be honest , and I prefer visual studio to eclipse on the whole.

I'm on windows 7 btw.

Atmel Studio 6 with Visual Micro - can't be beat. Best of breed, free. Support for ICSP, Avrdude, JTAGICE built in.

If you use windows or a windows VM.

But calling these an "editor" is a misnomer. If you want just an editor- use Programmer's Notepad. But it's not in the same league.

Others I've tried:
Eclipse
Code::Blocks
Arduino's IDE

Last edited:
I've just read about the breakpoint and trace debugging functions it offers. If that stuff works, I'm so going to need it for my project....

Atmel it is....

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back