New kind of micro controller developer environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

TuomoK

Hello all!

We have developed new kind on "dreams come true" developer board for micro controller developers.

Am I allowed to introduce it more and ask your opinion?

BR

Tuomo

Hello again!

I'll introduce more our project.

The currently proposed specs are like this:

CONNECTIVITY
2G Quadband GPRS
WLAN
BT 4.1
Micro USB 2.0
GPIO pins on PCB
JTAG on PCB

SENSORS
3D Accelerometer
A-GPS Location
Temperature
Humidity
Pressure
Gyroscope
Magnetometer
Ambient Light Sensor

Let us know what you think!

Thanks!

-t

Well given this is the product forum for PJRC microprocessors (teensy 2/3), I would say add-on boards and shields are appropriate posts here for products, but I would tend to think advertisement/design of potentially competing projects would be in bad taste. Comparing the Teensies to other existing products, and stating wishes for future features are certainly fine.

Of course, since I'm not the forum owner, it is for the folks at PJRC (Paul, Robin, etc.) to decide on the boundaries.

I agree with Michael,

There is nothing wrong with comparing products but advertising your product on a rival forum is in bad taste. I wouldn't do it. However, like Michael I am not the owner of this forum. I don't make the rules here but I would observe the golden rule!

Anyhow, please also keep in mind that as tasty as your hardware specifications may be, few people here will likely bite. That's because we've collectively been burned too many times by folk who claim to have a shiny new device that will run circles around the Arduino platform, only to discover that when the time comes to implement anything complicated (for which we bought those shiny powerful, non-AVR processors) that the software backend simply isn't there. At that point, the hardware becomes a somewhat less-than-useful paperweight. Paul has consistently supported his product and his multi-year history of excellent support, improvement, etc. is precisely why we are all here. The hardware and software have to be seen as a package, and Paul delivers.

Arduino competitors like Digilent, Maple, Galileo, etc. promised a golden pot re: offering a improved Arduino experience, and so far, IMO, PJRC, Ruggeduino, and Digistump are the only manufacturers to have delivered a truly innovative complement to the Arduino universe. Of these, the Teensy series is by far the most technically complex advancement in terms of hardware (i.e. ARM-based, but Arduino-compatible platform months ahead of the Arduino release) as well as software-wise (contributing extensively back to the Arduino universe for issues with malloc(), SPI, etc.)

So, I would suggest a different approach. I wouldn't advertise here. I would put your platform on kickstarter for the world to see, just as Paul did with Teensy 3.

Last but not least, I would consider a different GPRS solution like Sparqee because AT&T will discontinue 2G coverage in the United States in the near future. Sure, you can rely on T-Mobile for a bit longer, but that too will come to an end eventually and meantime the coverage may or may not be satisfactory. 3G modules like the one used on the Sparqee are much more expensive than 2G modules ($8 vs. $65) which is why I'd implement the sparqee as a pin header and let the users who need the connectivity add it on themselves. Plus, you have a lower implementation risk since the sparqee folk allegedly have handled all the really difficult lifting as far as connecting to the internet, depositing data, etc. is concerned.

Last edited:
T-mobile has and has always had, the worst coverage of the US carriers. Sprint is second worst.
GPRS is near end of life.

By example, Digi International's cellular gateways have a socket for any vendor's GOBI modem card. Card slips in and has screws to secure it. Driver software is quite similar among all GOBI modems, and they are accepted by/compatible with most cellular operators worldwide, including 3G CDMA and 3G TDMA and 4G/LTE systems.

Last edited:
This forum is mostly about Teensy, but I'm reluctant to delete any reasonable discussion simply because it's talking about competitive products. I suppose it's really a judgment call, whether a post is "reasonable" or "spam".

The factor that matters above all others is how many people click the "Report Post" button (small black triangle in the lower left corner) and say they believe the message is spam.

@TuomoK - Now at least 3 people have reported this thread as spam.

If you're a real person, you have about 14 hours to reply with something interesting. Otherwise, this thread is probably going to be deleted.

@TuomoK - If you're a real person, you have about 14 hours to reply with something interesting.

Based on a Google search it is likely a real person - just not a real product.. if it is possible to do a IP67 with wlan, bt and other wireless technology with 12 months battery life they should teach Apple how to make a cell phone batter that last more than a day :)

Hi all!

Sorry about delayed reply.

I really understand that it is frustrating to have spam on your forum and yes we are developing own device which will be on the market in the future, but I don't see this as direct competitor for other micro controller providers. I see this more like possibility for you to use your micro controller skills to do business with mass production ready device.

You are absolutely right with that 2G. Changing a chip to 3G is not a problem if we decide to go for it. Of course, it is not that cost effective.

About that battery life I can only say that user will have good control of power management. If you use gyro on max reporting rate you know it won't be 12 month. I can honestly say that our staff, as an Ex-Nokians, have lot of things to teach for Apple on technical side.

This system will someday provide mass production ready device with specs I listed before. We will also provide web server for developing work and open source SDK and APIs. Device will be controllable with mobile app.

I have shown my cards now. It is on your hands what you do with this thread and I respect your decision. My point is to get contacts who really want to know more about us and our project and develop it in the future. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested.

By the way, Kicksrtarter is great idea!

BR

Tuomo

Dear Tuomo,

You may be sincerely intending to do something wonderful. I'm sad to say I don't believe you are going about it in a good way here. There are many challenges to designing and producing something interesting. From what I see here, you don't understand how to present your ideas or capabilities in a believable way and don't have the social awareness to realize that polite words do not make an attempt to take away PJRC's customers any less unwelcome.

With all due respect, come back when you have something that helps this community do what we love including supporting PJRC.

Thanks for understanding,
John

Ok, I'm going to lock this thread. Maybe is should be deleted, but it does "feel" like the usual spam.

@TuomoK - If multiple people continue to report your messages as spam, Robin will probably get involved. She tends to delete and ban first, and pretty much not ask questions later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back