Feasible? - Blue Tooth Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackcell

We currently use this product and they are about to phase them out.
https://serialio.com/support/BlueSnap/BlueSnapBridgeSetup.php

I've built a few small projects using teensy boards and/or arduinos in the past but never dove off into blue tooth modules. Essentially we want to be able to connect a a bluetooth device to the bridge, and send the transmitted data to an iPad.

I will be doing some more research this weekend but thought I would throw this up to collect information in the mean-time.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Do the chips handle flow control? If I were to write it to just transmit whatever is received on the other, it would probably solve the problem. But for the sake of being robust, I would probably want to make the communication bi-directional. I need to order the modules to play around. Also, how do these 113 module connect up with another Bluetooth device? Do you need to manually configure them or what?

Bluegiga has an evaluation board, you could also connect two of such a modules to a single Teensy of course :)

I would first get a Bluetooth development kit, then a bluetooth module that you connect to the teensy and make a test setup, after that you can worry about how large the teensy would need to be etc.

What libraries are available for the Bluegiga?
I§m having trouble finding a well documented bluetooth chip that works well with Teensy.

Hi Fyod, well, I think you are just looking in a totally wrong direction.

You first need to step back and choose between
- getting to know microcontrollers well enough to take it to this level
- hire someone (a tech student maybe?) to help you out on this.

I'm teaching CS / Embedded Systems in college (and used to teach in high school), so I see that very often that people are too much goal driven (and notice it in myself too when learning new things). So please keep that in mind if you want to succeed.

The technical answer: you actually don't even need any libraries, such a modules use either i2c or UART so you can just connect it using that. I actually doubt that you even need a microcontroller, it could even be that a bluetooth module is enough in itself (they often even do have a built-in uC).

Last edited:
You're right, I was overthinking it in lieu of a different project. Looks like the RN42 will do what I need.
If I was to hire someone, I wouldn't be asking questions here. I like learning, although it is a challenge sometimes compared to hiring, and irrelevant questions/ideas are bound to happen to all of us.

Last edited:
Well that happens to everyone doesn't it? You might want to compare the RN42 with the BlueGiga modules, I use the latter and they work very well (not saying the RN42 ones don't work of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back